The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Stepside fender replacement?

Helping my friend on his 86 stepside build. We can't seem to find any vendors selling a left stepside fender WITH the gas tank opening. What is the darn reason for this?

Finding a used fender with no rust up here in CT is nearly impossible.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
BamaDave

Re: Stepside fender replacement?

There isn't one that does. I haven't the slightest clue as to why, because most of these trucks were optioned with dual tanks.
BamaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Weasel Diesel

BamaDave is dead on. I do not know the logic of why, but you have a couple options... ONE is to cut out the section of old fender with the door opening and put it into the new fender....(YUK) or get a marine fuel filler opening and relocate it to a different spot ( as I opted to do ). OR, relocate gas tank to rear of truck. Possibly, you may find a good used fender somewhere out west, and could have it shipped in. I just got thru this situation. Funny how you can darn near buy a "Truck in a Box" worth of parts, but they don't make that one....
Weasel Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
76stepsidechevy

If both fenders are going to be replaced you can run older style fenders. Those are available with the round filler hole for either side. Or just keep watching craigslist and ebay, I was able to find rust free fenders for my 76 for 100 bucks a side, really only needed one side but couldn't pass up that deal. Maybe i'll be ready for the next idiot that runs into me.

Edit: check out car-part.com too, some used stepside stuff on there but it may or may not be worth it with shipping.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote