The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
BAMO

283 Engine Rebuild...or Not?

I've looked through a lot of threads on this topic, but figured I'd asked to get some more opinions. I've got a 283 that is getting tired and probably due for a rebuild at some point. Now the question is would it be worthwhile to pick up a second 283 (have a line on a one for 250, basically complete with transmission - i.e. I could sell a couple of the pieces that are on it and break even at worst) that needs a rebuild and slowly work through it? I figure by the time I rebuild, I am at 1k over time. My goal at some point would be to add a nv4500 trans in it as well.

I know most will recommend just to by a new crate (or rebuilt/reman crate), but since my current engine has life in it, it's a weekend errand truck at most, I figured digging into a second engine wouldn't be a bad way to go.
BAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
suzq044
Resident Photoshop Nerd

Re: 283 Engine Rebuild...or Not?

Thats what we had done.. or at least, thought we did. We bought a rebuilt 283; thinking we had the original 283 in the truck, put that in, to have the original rebuilt.. and turned out that we have a 400sbc with the 283 intake stuffed on it; it's at the machine shop now.

I think you should go for it, at least that way you can still drive the truck whilst going through the donor engine. I just hope that the engine you get is better than the 283 we got (needs another rebuild, or at least go-through) We also bought our then-donor 283 for about $200.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
chris mc bride

First I have weakness for classic iron. 283's are ultra cool. Baddest thing on street NOPE. Run good make good power and take a beating hell yes. I had one in my 66(first truck) It was .017 piston clearance when it went together. I beat the he11 out of it and it took it.I still have it in building. Had three copper bearings,two broken rings and was still running when pulled it out. I use to wind second so tight motor would go quite,I grabbed 3rd and kept going. Tore out 14 transmissons in a year but motor kept going.

IMO not building it would criminal. Get you good set of heads with harden seat,nothing badass just nice flowing set of iron heads maybe dart iron eagles with smaller valves. A good daul plane with vac secondary carb,headers dual exhaust and maybe a new cam in 270 duration range or less and it should be a blast to drive.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
BAMO

It's what I am leaning towards. Found out that the engine I am looking at has no compression right now, but given that there are rams heads, rebuilt carb, air cleaner, and a number of other things included with it my risk is pretty low that for some reason it wouldn't be rebuildable - given the cost.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Blue Rat

Nothing like old school. Go for it. That is where a lot of us started.
Blue Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Bad ass thing about a 283... you can punch most of 'em out to 301 and have a super high RPM screamer!

Love those little engines.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
chris mc bride

Yea had dune buggy with 302 4" bore 3"stroke. I used a 327 block and 283 crank for my build but man it had no rpm limit except the cam. I could spin it 8500 no problem and yes the valvetrain cost more than rest of the build did.

So if your loooking for ultra high rpm Gasoline71 is 100% correct.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
butch86

man please build that 283 sweet sweet lil motors. personally my favorite.

in my shop i have a sbc400 with a 283 crank in it. a screamer lil motor. the only thing that scared me when i built it was having 2 sets of spacer berrings on the main journels. but wow what a rpm monster. not to bad at 460rwhp with a built powerglied. awsome motor.
butch86 is offline   Reply With Quote