The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
96duck

One light not working?

I have replaced or re-wired most of the wiring in my 64 Chevy, using wiring harnesses from Classic. I have also added individual grounds to all light sockets. Everything works great except for the left brake light. left turn signal works great so ground is good. I have changed bulbs and checked to make sure they are good and made sure they are in the socket correctly. HELP! I dont have much hair left and cant afford to pull any more out!
96duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
theastronaut

Re: One light not working?

If I remember right, the power for the brake lights goes through the turnsignal switch normally, and is interrupted by the switch and sent through the flasher for the turnsignals. The contacts in the switches are bad about messing up. It sounds like the switch is making contact with the turnsignal poles, but the brake light part isn't functioning correctly?

This is how the layout of the contacts should look (other than the one missing piece contact band- it's symetrical though). The metal bands can get bent out of shape which keeps things from working correctly. If you have turn signals then you know the power and ground are good. You can use a test light to see which prongs are for the brake lights, and which are for the turnsignals. The front lights also go through the switch.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
theastronaut

You probably will want to wait and have someone double check behind me about what I just posted before you tear into it! It's been awhile since I had one apart for turnsignal/brake light problems!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
96duck

I dont remember anything in my switch looking like this? would this be behind the turn signal cam? I see you live in Anderson, i am originally from the big city of Ninety Six right down the road from ya.
96duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
theastronaut

You have to take the switch itself apart, if I remember correctly theres a couple tabs that hold that piece into the switch housing. The wiring harness comes in rigth on the backside of the part I posted. Always great to run across another SC guy on here!