The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
sqrlnts

Help ID this rear end

Axle code is KBY041W92
brake drum PN is GM359493

I need to find all the drum brake parts as it was on a project I purchased and did not include any brake parts. Its in a 57 Chevy 3100 now but I believe it might be from a late 70's 4x4.....not sure

Thanks in advance for the help.

sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
ont_guy_38

Re: Help ID this rear end

Yes looks like a late 70's 12 bolt to me also...just sold a 80 rear end that looked identical
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
ghettoluxury

For that axle I would order parts for a 78 k10.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
84_chevy

Looks just like the rear of my truck. I had a hell of a time figuring out what kind of brake parts to order until I discover I had 84 body mounted to a late 70's 4x4 frame. I kept ordering parts for an 84 and nothing fit.
84_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
sqrlnts

Thanks fellas, many thanks.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
esbstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrlnts View Post
Thanks fellas, many thanks.
On the passenger side axle tube there is a 3 digit code stamped in the housing... If you get me that code, I will tell you 100% what it is from and what gear ratio that was orginally installed in it.

To find the code you will first need a fine wire brush. The you will have to located it on the housing. The best way to find it is to look between the 12 and 3 o'clock position (when standing outside the truck) and usually stamped in line with the welded on brake line clip, but towards the front of the truck.

The code will either be 3 capitial letters or 2 letters and a number. ALL rearends have this code, or did when the rearend was built. The only time I have not found this code is from a heavily rusted truck where the rearend was pitted.

I should note that there is also a 5-8 digit number there also, in the same line, but that is a production number and I can not do anything with that number.
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbstuff View Post
On the passenger side axle tube there is a 3 digit code stamped in the housing... If you get me that code, I will tell you 100% what it is from and what gear ratio that was orginally installed in it.

To find the code you will first need a fine wire brush. The you will have to located it on the housing. The best way to find it is to look between the 12 and 3 o'clock position (when standing outside the truck) and usually stamped in line with the welded on brake line clip, but towards the front of the truck.

The code will either be 3 capitial letters or 2 letters and a number. ALL rearends have this code, or did when the rearend was built. The only time I have not found this code is from a heavily rusted truck where the rearend was pitted.

I should note that there is also a 5-8 digit number there also, in the same line, but that is a production number and I can not do anything with that number.
Thats the axle code your asking for. The number on mine is KBY041W92.