The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
jocko

Paint Code Decipher help

Quick question for y'all... I've noticed the following:
- white top/solid body color trucks list their color on the SPID as "white & color"
- white top/upper body color/white bottom list their color on the SPID as "white/color/white"
and, last but not least, that -
- white on top and between upper and lower body moldings list their color on the SPID as "white/color/white/color"

So, I'm looking at this truck with ACTUAL current paint of white top with white between the upper/lower moldings - and ochre everywhere else. I expected the SPID to say: white/ochre/white/ochre, or something like that.
But instead it says: "white & ochre" (only). Seller claims it's original, and that's believeable when looking at the paint closely.

Wouldn't that mean that originally the truck was a white top only with solid ochre body?? In other words, what I believe has happened is that the white mid-body paint has been added to a whote over ochre truck.

BUT....

SPID code is 463. Which makes NO sense to me - plain ochre was 511 in 72, so, tow tone would be some variation of the middle digit on that, or so I thought.

Appreciate your help.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Paint Code Decipher help

ok - here's the SPID for ref. One more WEIRD note... just noticed it does NOT list an interior trim color option... ??? It has an old parchment interior in it, all appears kosher, but never seen interior trim color option NOT even listed on a SPID.... Hmmm! I'm even more curious now. Kinda LIKE the idear of no mention, because I'd prefer a black (bucket) interior anyway...
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
jocko

sorry to keep talkin to myself... But, found THIS http://carpaintonline.com/paints-byp...chPPGCode=2323 when searching around. Shoes code 463 same as 511 (ochre). Interesting. Same ppg code 2323 re-order code. So it was ochre, just never saw it listed as anything other than 511.... Anyhoo. Remaining question is whether it had a white mid-section and why no interior trim code listed on the SPID.

I called the guy - and I thought this truck looked familiar. I ALMOST bought it at Carlisle about 2 years ago. Turns out this guy bought it from the original guy I talked to about it last fall. Seller was owner of the Truck Shop in TN. Very nice gentlemen and he always brings some incredible cheyenne supers to Carlisle for folls to drool over. Hmmm. Should bought this one when I had the chance. Price has increased a good bit from what I remember that gent asking for it. Ya snooze ya lose.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
bruceman1968

jocko, 463 is correct for White/Ochre/White/Ochre
463 is the two tone code for, 511 ochre and 521 white, and also means it's a deluxe paint. W/O/W/O.

If it was just a white top and ochre everywhere else it would be two tone code 536
If it was a white top ochre middle and white lower it would be two tone code 590

Your right in thinking that the spid description should be white ochre white ochre, but descriptions weren't set in stone and some variations did occur. I bet the interior trim was just left off by accident.
The RPO code is the main thing and your 463 is correct for your truck.

Last edited by bruceman1968; 04-13-2012 at 09:23 PM.
bruceman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
jocko

thanks bruceman, much appreciated! That explains it.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
SS Tim

Here you go jocko, This as notated shows the three combinations of Ochre (2323) and White (2185). Keep me in mind on those soon to be "extra" parchment parts. :-)

http://tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
jocko

Ha! Wilco. I am not sure if I can swing the asking price for this one - I really like it. This truck has been for sale for some time, and I've been looking at it off and on - but today, for some reason, I decided to look REAL close. Noted the hole covers where the below eyeline mirrors used to be (i.e. holes hadn't been filled). That reminded me of one identical to it at the Carlisle fall truck show a few years back. Once I called about this one, confirmed he bought it from the same guy I spoke to. Currently dealer-owned by a guy that has some nice trucks for sale always, but his prices are a little high (or maybe not too high - because they are very nice, solid trucks - some restored, some originals, etc). But those holes would bug the heck outta me....

Bottom line, I'd grab a correct black steering wheel, stock steelies, and swap my black interior in and call it a day I think. That 4-spoke steering wheel in signature Truck Shop - I've seen several of their (gorgeous) trucks with that same steering wheel. I like the original one better, that's all. Anyhoo, still thinkin on it. I'm havin a hard time tearing myself away from the shortbed mindset!! But going longbed (and I like 69-70 longbeds) tends to open up the market a bit and usually costs a bit less compared to a similar shorty.