The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Mqcone

Fuel Line help

First off this is my first build - 1956 3200 long bed. I am installing an under the bed universal fuel tank and need help with the fuel line setup. I have a universal sending unit with a 5/16 fitting. I will have a straight run for 10' down the frame rail and out to the fuel pump. It's about 14' total. What is the best setup to use from tank to pump (both 5/16" fittings). I also want to mount an inline fuel filter somewhere in the line. I thought about SS braided line but cannot find an adaptor for AN fittings to 5/16 fitting. Also I am running a 235 6 cyl.

I went to all of the chain auto stores and they acted like I was speaking a foreign language. What a disappointment.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Mqcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: Fuel Line help

Go to any good auto parts store and get a 5/16 inverted flare to 5/16 hose to come out of the sending unit. Get another one (2) to screw into the 5/16 hard fuel line you are going to buy. Should be about a foot of hose to your straight run. The hard line comes in lengths from 1 foot to 5 feet. get a couple of longer ones and plumb your filter in a convienent place. I'd buy one with hard fittings of 5/16" flare. When you get to the front of your truck, use another 5/16 inverted flare fitting to hose to go from the hard line to your fuel pump. Then use another 1/8 or 1/4 pipe male to 5/16 hose fittling to screw into your fuel pump. should have about 1 foot of hose from hard line to fuel pump. This allows the tank and pump to flex slightly without damaging your system. Go to a GOOD parts store and the counter guys will know what you're trying to do. I needed a return line on mine, you don't. Good luck.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Mqcone

Re: Fuel Line help

Thanks speedbumpauto. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mqcone is offline   Reply With Quote