The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Tubesock700

Need some assistance with Power Steering Conversion, Please

After hours of searching the internet for an answer, I have come up empty handed.

I am trying to convert my 1972 Chevy C10 2WD to power steering. I have collected the following parts:
-Pump w/ Reservoir and pulley
-A bracket off of a 75 C20 (hope it will fit... otherwise I will have to buy aftermarket)
-Gear box
-New pressure and return lines
-Belt
-Power steering fluid (duh....)
-Double pulley for the crank

Now here are the dilemmas that I think I am going to encounter:

1. My alternator is on the driver's side, same side as the power steering pump. I think I am going to have a problem when it comes to installing it, as there will not be enough room. I have yet to see a picture on the internet with a short water pump, alternator on the driver's side, and a power steering pump all installed on the same motor.

2. I have headers and not the stock manifolds on. Part of the power steering pump bracket that I have used to bolt to the first bolt of the manifold. Now I saw on another forum post (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=515045) that someone said to use some washers and bolt from the old manifold and it worked fine. I will try this, but are there better options? I saw aftermarket brackets, but I want to keep this as cheap as possible. (I only spent $185 in parts including fluid)

3. I have not had time to monkey around with this setup yet (just picked up the pump today) but is there a difference in power steering pumps (or distance of the pulley from the pump itself) between Short and Long water pumps? This one came out of a truck that had no motor in it, but it was a C20 so I assume it had a long water pump. Will the pulley line up with my short water pump belt layout?

Other than that, I would appreciate it if anyone could give me some good advice. Also some pictures would be amazing as well. I can do more by looking at a picture than reading some instructions. But I will take anything at this point to make this an easy transition when I hunker down and start tearing things apart.

I have attached photos of my situation.

Thank you!

Jake
Attached Images

Tubesock700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

Re: Need some assistance with Power Steering Conversion, Please

You will need to find power steering pump and brackets to fit the 67-72 chevy trucks.The 75 version you have is for the long waterpump.Just look in the for sale section one will show up soon!Good luck!

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

Smile Re: Need some assistance with Power Steering Conversion, Please

Sharpie posted all the power steering stuff you need in the parts section!
Posted via Mobile Device

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote