The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
doodah man

Question Installing Vintage Air and need Pulley Help

I'm installing the VA AC system and they don't include the crank pulley or belt to run the AC.

I've got a short water pump, power steering and the alternator on the drivers side. I'm trying to figure out what I need to replace.

I've attached a picture of what I have now. Is the crank pulley that's on there now two pieces? If so, do I just replace the one nearest the alternator with a 2-groove pulley and re-install the one driving the PS? Or do I need some special 3 groove pulley? I found a two groove crank pulley on GM Parts Direct (PN 3744043) but I'm not sure if that's what I need or not.
Attached Images

We're not the jet set
We're the old Chevrolet set
doodah man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
AF_Chevy

Re: Installing Vintage Air and need Pulley Help

This is what mine looks like with the stock AC. I don't have a belt on it currently but you can sorta see what you need hopefully.
Attached Images

AF_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
shelbert

You are correct there are 2 pullys on that crank, the one closest to the balancer is a single, the outermost one is a addon pulley. What you need is the double that will replace the single. The addon will fit on it as well making it a 3 groove pulley.

I had a heck of a time finding one myself, not much in the way of short water pump systems hitting the pull and saves around here, and if you walk into a reg junk yard they look at you like your crazy asking for something of that erra. I went to one and I could see 3 or 4 mid 60s-70s trucks/cars in the lot, but the guy insisted that he had nothing that old. Even after I showed them to him he said it wasnt worth his trouble to get off the chair to look at them, nor would he let me.
shelbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
doodah man

this looks like like what I need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/crankshaft-d...#ht_500wt_1413

It's the GM 3744043. I got that number by looking at the "engine compartment" parts list for 1972 Chevy C10 on GM Parts Direct. I had to look it up on GM Parts Giant to find a picture.

On Ebay and elsewhere they are calling it a corvette pulley. Would it be the same part for our trucks?
We're not the jet set
We're the old Chevrolet set
doodah man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
shelbert

That looks exacly like my lower but much more shiney. Hopefully you will not have to replace all your belts like I did.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
AF_Chevy

Well I have already replaced all of the belts since that picture as well as changing every gasket in the lower engine and almost every hose in the engine compartment. The PO decided he wanted to make the engine compartment look all shiny so he rattle canned the entire thing...belts, hoses, pulleys, wires, everything. So it has been fun fixing all of the mess he created. So I feel your pain!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
shelbert

Looks like your pain was caused by the PO. I have to admit most of mine was caused by myself.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
AF_Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
this looks like like what I need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/crankshaft-d...#ht_500wt_1413

It's the GM 3744043. I got that number by looking at the "engine compartment" parts list for 1972 Chevy C10 on GM Parts Direct. I had to look it up on GM Parts Giant to find a picture.

On Ebay and elsewhere they are calling it a corvette pulley. Would it be the same part for our trucks?
Yes I think it should be the same part. Mine looks just like the one you linked and it is on a 72 Chevy Cheyenne10.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
kevmic28

I couldnt find a 3 belt pulley for mine. I fnally just put one belt from the crank to the power steering. Second belt from crank, to water pump, to alt. Another belt from the water pump 2 belt pully to the ac. I havent had any issues at all in over a year.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
slowyellow

I've run into the same issue. Any closing remarks??? AKA, the solution that you found and the best place to get it? Thanks in advance.
slowyellow is offline   Reply With Quote