The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Beaumont@

Steering column question

I am trying to fix this problem hopefully can save my steering column housing as well. I have a 1970 C10 with a 1970 CPP tilt column which has had the main shaft shortened and welded back together (see pic) by the previous owner. I would just like to find a new main shaft rather than replacing the entire column. From my research I know I need to find either a:

-67-72 Chevy OEM tilt column or a
-72-81 Chevy van with tilt which is roughly 2 1/2 in longer but can be made to work

These are very hard to come by in the local bone yards and when they do they dont last long. Does anyone know of any other vehicles that would work with a 1970 steering column housing? Can I use a 80s GM with tilt? Those are a lot easier to come by.
Attached Images

Beaumont@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Steering column question

The CPP column is a 1" DD shaft and the stock column is a 3/4 round. Looks like they just ground some flats on the old shaft and slid it into the 1" DD and welded it to the new DD column. A stock van or truck column shaft will not fit a CPP column. What exactly are you trying to fix?
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Beaumont@

I am trying to replace the inner steering column shaft with one that is not welded. I want to save the CPP column as well. Its not safe for me or others on the road to be driving around with a hack job like this.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I used to sell those columns and I don't think you can get parts for them except the signal switch. If you did it would look the same except the welded part in the end of it. It also is not any longer than yours is now.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Beaumont@

Yea been thinking about it today. What I will probably end up doing is cutting off the welded mess and try attaching a double D universal joint or coupler with aftermarket collapsible intermediate shaft.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I think thats your answer. Make sure you drill a divot in the 1" shaft so the set screw has a place to grab then Locktite the set screw. You could get a 1" DD x 3/4 DD joint, a 3/4 DD shaft and a new rag joint for the bottom.