The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
a37lesalle

To tow or not to tow

I have a 62 C-10 with a stock 283, which I believe is original. Title shows it to be a 3/4 ton and of course has the 6 lug. Suspension is stock. My question is, Will this old girl be able to handle pulling about a 26 to 28 foot 5th Wheel, without alot of modifications?
a37lesalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: To tow or not to tow

I am not a towing expert, but that sounds like a lot of trailer for a stock 1962 to handle. If this is just a tug to move a trailer from one spot to another it might be fine as is, but for full service vacation plans I would be doing upgrades before planning a trip. Hauling a big or heavy trailer with an inadequate tow rig is an invitation for a bad day.

IMHO the most important systems needing improvement would be the brakes, transmission, and cooling system, in that order. Disc brakes just to handle the extra weight and to avoid brake fade during summer heat. A strong transmission would be helpful, for example either an SM420 4 speed or at a minimum a TH 350 if going with an automatic (with a suitably sized cooler). A 4 or 5 speed transmission would really help a little engine provide torque over a wider speed range. And a big radiator, well designed shroud, and high flow water pump and thermostat should prevent boiling over when pulling hills.

Power steering would be another nice upgrade especially for parking and slow speed maneuvering. After that I’d want to make sure chassis parts like wheel bearings, springs and shocks are in good condition. If the engine is completely original, a rebuild should be on the schedule to provide dependable reliability, especially with the extra load it will be pulling.

With everything in tip top shape I think it should serve well as a safe and interesting tow vehicle.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
LT1 Burb

I pulled this trailer 600 miles with a motor I paid 75.00 for and we pulled it out of my buddys back yard. It had a 1300# tounge weight and I had airbags in thee rear. Was it the smartest thing to do, absolutely not. I would say yes, if you had good brakes and didn't climb the grape vine but make sure the mechanicals are top notch . Back in the day before SUV's they pulled these trailers with buick lesabres and station wagon's.
Attached Images

LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Burb View Post
Back in the day before SUV's they pulled these trailers with buick lesabres and station wagon's.
This is an important point. Back in the day. This isn't back in the day, now you are competing with vehicles that have brake and suspension that is FAR superior to your 1962. Your concern is almost more,
Can I stop as well as the others on the road?" If the answer is no, you may find yourself on top of another vehicle on the road, and that would be a bad day for all involved.

I think you can make it safe, but I think to do it right you will spend a fair amount of money.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
LT1 Burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
This is an important point. Back in the day. This isn't back in the day, now you are competing with vehicles that have brake and suspension that is FAR superior to your 1962. Your concern is almost more,
Can I stop as well as the others on the road?" If the answer is no, you may find yourself on top of another vehicle on the road, and that would be a bad day for all involved.

I think you can make it safe, but I think to do it right you will spend a fair amount of money.
Yes , your right but some of these trailers have very good braking systems. I know on mine the trailer could bring my truck to a stop very easily. Having always towed a trailer though, I know how to adjust my driving when pulling one.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
mikie 1954

First off, if his truck has 6 lug wheels it is NOT a 3/4 ton truck. You need to make sure of what you have as that will make a big differance, then go from there.
mikie 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by a37lesalle View Post
I have a 62 C-10 with a stock 283, which I believe is original. Title shows it to be a 3/4 ton and of course has the 6 lug. Suspension is stock. My question is, Will this old girl be able to handle pulling about a 26 to 28 foot 5th Wheel, without alot of modifications?
what title are you going by , vin# or registration. some dippy do could have changed either body or frame and never made the proper changes with the MVO. 3/4t and 6 stud wheels are not a match. I would match the nbrs against one or another and see whether or not that they match up
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post

why do you have to compete with other vehicles. does a 65 year old person have to compete with a 20 year on the highway. no, he just uses more common sense. I think that one should not overdrive the ability of their vehicle.
granted it is an older vehicle and somewhere in it's life it has more than likely sat for a period of time, there are more than likely items that need to be updated and the truck should be properly roadworthy before it embarks on it's journey.
these trucks were not really built for today's interstate freeways. just because everyone one else is traveling at 70 or 80 mph, doesn't mean that you have to. set your own pace to the ability of your vehicle.
i have hauled some pretty fair loads with mine and a trailer on 500 mi trips. some trips I never went over 45 mph-14hrs. I have also done that trip in 6 1/2hrs; driving my old 911( I was a little younger than)
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote