The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
brans72

help me figure out a decent air bag system

So far figured out use a stage one front and rear from Porter Built minus shocks since already have them. Then maybe use manual valves from http://dloesvalves.WebStarts.com/index.html. Stuck on what size tank and compressor/compressors to use. What else would be needed and recomm for other parts like tank,compressor,etc. Remember this has to be budget friendly. Any help would be need (truck is 67 c10 with 83 front cross member) and plan to notch/drop spindles. Thanks guys.........
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Spaz

Re: help me figure out a decent air bag system

I like either dual 5 or 8.5 gal if u have the room. Now as far as compressor,i love the air zeniths. Never had any experience w viair. Also airbagit.com has the dc5000. Now that sucka is faster then my air zenith was.
Posted via Mobile Device
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
gGMC DOG

i would check the vendors marketplace. they have some great deals. but would definately stay away from airbag.com. google it. you'll see why
gGMC DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
gGMC DOG

if you're not worried about speed. manual valves are fine. but keep in mind when airing bags out the air releases in your cab or wherever you have them mounted.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
brans72

mind explaining why zenith compressor is more $ then others? Is there a way to exhaust outside the cab or keep it quiet inside cab? What others parts will I need sure this post would help others that are new to it or only done it 1/2 a$# before.
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Spaz

I would only do electric valves due to the cool pffftt sound it makes lol, and when it deflates its loud. Im a loud person. But its a personal preference. You would have to run a hose from the bag to ur cab, then a hose from
The valve dumping outside the cab back thru the cab. As far as the air zenith compressors, i dont know why they are so much, but they are heavy duty and built very well. And they are pretty fast. From the specs it seems way faster then a viair, but im not sure onthat. Dont have any personal experience w viair. Im currently planning on bagging my 71 c10 and probably gonna go with 2 air zeniths due to the quality they are. Probably gonna go w a 8.5 gal tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Pro Performance

I don't think you will get too loud of a noise from the exhaust dumping through the 1/4" valves. I don't think they dump fast enough to create a huge sound, and they have mufflers on them. Those are pretty cool valves though.

You would be good with a 5 gallon air tank, and using a 200 PSI compressor. Running dual compressors will just allow faster re-fill times, but I wouldn't say it is completely necessary. Just depends on how much you plan to raise and lower the truck. If it is just to raise and drive, then park and lower, I think 1 will be Ok for you.

The VIAIR's are very reliable and have been tried and tested.... can't go wrong with them, and they have a very good reputation.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Spaz

Hey street, have u used viair? If sp how do u like em and is there a revuid kit if anything ever happened?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Pro Performance

Yes, I have a 444C dual pack on my bagged C10 that I am working on, and dual 400C's on my daily driver. Been on there for 4 years, and they get worked hard when I go to the desert. I fill 33's from 10 PSI to 80 PSI for towing.... which is a lot of volume when considering 4 tires.

The ones on the bagged truck work awesome, and have them hooked up to a 5 gallon tank. If needed, they are rebuildable.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
Spaz

Awesome. Imma look into em.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
mikey882

I would also recommend Viair. I've owned 450s, 380s, 400s, and 480s in different vehicles.......several years ago there was a new compressor company (air zenith) and they were supposed to be incredible compressors. So I bought two of them........and one compressor ate its own connecting rod in 4 minutes......and the other snapped the shaft just outside the bearing. 600 dollars for paperweights. I promptly purchased a pair of Viair 400s.

Where are you putting the tank? Compressors? Don't forget stuff like a pressure switch, tank drain, water trap, and I would also like to recommend you find a thread sealant product made by Loctite called 545
Posted via Mobile Device
mikey882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
Spaz

Any idea on what set to get. I like to play with my bags so volume is a must my last setup was ran valves at the tank and lines ran to the bags from there. I had 8.5 gal tank, 1 air zenith comp(which i had no prob with, just loud). Had a bagged 95 chevy ext cab w a wishbone setup. Not sure if i can add pics on my phoneto the threads or not, but ill add em asap. It was a clean truck. Shoulda kept it. My podna just gave me the shell of his 98 ext cab 1500. Its bagged and body dropped. He is yanking the motor out and junkin the rest. So imma pull the bags, new grill, anything i can salvage for mine (bags) or my dads truck, then imma
Scrap the rest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
gGMC DOG

480s
Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Spaz

Thanx g
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
edflores

Viair 444c Dual pack. Best bang for the buck. I have a set up for sale too. I run a 5 gallon tank, but I dont play" with my switches. I have 3/8 manual paddle valves on my truck. They are fine for what I want
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
mikey882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Any idea on what set to get. I like to play with my bags so volume is a must my last setup was ran valves at the tank and lines ran to the bags from there. I had 8.5 gal tank, 1 air zenith comp(which i had no prob with, just loud). Had a bagged 95 chevy ext cab w a wishbone setup. Not sure if i can add pics on my phoneto the threads or not, but ill add em asap. It was a clean truck. Shoulda kept it. My podna just gave me the shell of his 98 ext cab 1500. Its bagged and body dropped. He is yanking the motor out and junkin the rest. So imma pull the bags, new grill, anything i can salvage for mine (bags) or my dads truck, then imma
Scrap the rest.
Posted via Mobile Device
If money is an issue........2 380s and an eight gallon tank. If you can spend a little more then I would recommend a pair of 480s and a pair of 5 gallons.......or a 12 gallon
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
mikey882

Another possibility if you don't mind a little fab work.......is an engine driven compressor. They flow like crazy and are really worth it if you want tons of play time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
mikey882

You could buy a pre fab kit from one of the air ride companies or you could find your own York and build your own brackets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
Spaz

Ill spend what i have to to get the compressors i want. Can you recommend any good engine driven compressors? Only one i k ow of is from airbagit.com and i really dont wanna buy that stuff from them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
Fatkid1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Ill spend what i have to to get the compressors i want. Can you recommend any good engine driven compressors? Only one i k ow of is from airbagit.com and i really dont wanna buy that stuff from them.
Posted via Mobile Device
I love my York! 0-150 psi in 60 sec at idle filling a 5 gal tank. The 12 volt pump are better looking and easier to hide but I don't mind the trade off!
Posted via Mobile Device
NorthWest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Fatkid1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
mikey882

Look around for a York SC209. Read up on the web about the install....... Check out offroadair.com for good technical info...... There's a lot of guys out there that did their own fab for brackets......otherwise you can buy a small block chevy bracket kit.

Let me know if you have any questions
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
mikey882

And avoid airbagit.com and any of its 12 other names........avoid them like the plague
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey882 View Post
And avoid airbagit.com and any of its 12 other names........avoid them like the plague

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #24
Spaz

I dealt with them a few times. They werent bad. Just seem shady to me. And their ad prices are never what they say they are or offer parts for a certain kit and dont send them I had another incident with bad info from another website also on bar wall diameter. U had bad instances w them!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
mikey882

Friends don't let friends buy airbagit.com
Posted via Mobile Device