The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Blue Heeler

Muncie 4 speed trans

Thinking about installing a muncie 4 speed trans in the 65 that a friend gave me. has anyone done this? is it a pain or even worth the trouble? anyways if someone could post some pictures of a finished install it would really help, otherwise i will install the 200r4. Thanks
Blue Heeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Muncie 4 speed trans

I believe markeb01 has done this - might check his build thread or pm him.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Do you have a manual or auto setup now? If a manual, it's a fairly easy swap since all the clutch parts are in place. If an auto, unless you REALLY want a manual, it will be much easier to do the auto. Manual you'll need clutch pedal setup, Z bar and linkage, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, bell housing, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and if your Muncie doesn't already have it, shifter.

If you already have a manual setup, you can just swap the trans, make sure you clutch plate has the right spline as the trans and should basically be good to go.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
jocko

one more note, unless you have bucket seats, stick placement can be an issue - on the muncie the shifter mounts near the end of the tailshaft - kinda coming up under the seat.. But I think it can be done with careful stick selection to clear the seat. Have also seen seats notched (might be something you're not interested in though, I know I wasn't - so I went with a T5 5-speed from an S-10, stick location was perfect).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Blue Heeler

The truck is still a stick so everything i need is still there. what's the deal with the T-5? is it just a bolt on? thanks for the help just trying to deside.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

As chevy_mike noted if you currently have a standard transmission it’s a simple remove and replace on the transmission. Depending on the vintage of the gearbox, the driveshaft yoke may fit perfectly or may need to change to match the spline count on the transmission output shaft.

I don’t remember on which side of the tranny the speedometer cable is attached, but a new cable may be required if it’s different from whatever is currently in place.

As long as you avoid the “Street Super Shifter” which mounts the shifter higher and farther back on the transmission, any Hurst 4 speed shifter should fit the transmission shifter mount. As Jocko mentioned the shifter stick will be a problem with a bench seat. Fortunately Hurst recently released a bolt on version of the 1955-57 Chevy passenger car bench seat shifter handle which may solve the seat problem:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-5388620/

If the stock 65 still has the bellhousing mount for the rear of the engine, you won’t need a crossmember under the 4 speed. The 4 speed in my truck is a Richmond Super T10 (formerly Borg Warner), but the installation is basically the same as a Muncie, and can be seen on page 2 of my build thread.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Blue Heeler

I can pretty much fab up any shift handle to work with my bench seat, kinda sounds like the auto trans would be the ticket for me. i've always like the muncie but i guess you can't have everything.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

chief rocka had one in his 63 , and had some pics of it in his build, I think he used a shifter for a 4 spd nova, and it fit with the bench.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
chief rocka had one in his 63 , and had some pics of it in his build, I think he used a shifter for a 4 spd nova, and it fit with the bench.
Thats correct .... I used a shifter assembly that is designed for an early Nova...Which places the shifter at its farthest forward position.

Picked it up from Summit for a decent price.

It cleared the bench and was able to use a standard shifter.

OK, I just brought my old thread back up...look thru it and you'll see some pics on it ...

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Blue Heeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Thats correct .... I used a shifter assembly that is designed for an early Nova...Which places the shifter at its farthest forward position.

Picked it up from Summit for a decent price.

It cleared the bench and was able to use a standard shifter.

OK, I just brought my old thread back up...look thru it and you'll see some pics on it ...
I don't see the thread?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
MikeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heeler View Post
I don't see the thread?
This one...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=226210
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote