The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
laynrockers

Question Av. cost of machining 6 lug to 5 lug?

What is the average cost you guys have paid for machining the rear axles to convert them to 5 lug?

I received my kit from McGaughys today and this will have to be done for the rear, was interested in comparing prices before I start calling the local shops.

Thanks
laynrockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Av. cost of machining 6 lug to 5 lug?

I wouldn't recommend doing that...it's a lot safer to just have new axles made with the 5 lug bolt pattern(s) you want.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Back in 1999 I had mine done and it cost $150.00 to repattern both axles and turn down the center stub for brake drum registration. At the time I thought the charge was excessive, but looking back they spent a fair amount of time doing the rework. Since mine is a GMC with a Dana rear end I didn't find any other options available short of swapping the rear end or having custom axles fabricated, both of which were beyond my budget.

Thinking back, I believe the $150 also included pressing on new axle bearings which I supplied.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Rooster's 67

Also keep in mind, your original axles may have excessive wear on the bearing surface. the axle is actually the "inner" bearing race. purchasing the correct aftermarket axles is actually not cost prohibitive, compared to the machine work necessary as markeb01 stated to do it right.

As far as the machine work required, any good machine shop with a skilled welder should be able to weld them up and re machine them for new pattern. I would not have any hesitation of using them in any way. except maybe not for drag racing or very heavy towing.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

As already mentioned, take a good look at the axle/wheel bearing surface of your axles before putting any money into them. You can purchase aftermarket 5 lug conversion axles for $300.00 or less.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
kieth

cost me $100.00 plus the new studs.........I even did the front disc brake hubs so I could use a set of 5 x 4 3/4 cragars that I got a sweet deal on. it worked out fine. Kieth

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...fxoQ&lb=1&s=X2

this shows the rear onessssssss Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster's 67 View Post
Also keep in mind, your original axles may have excessive wear on the bearing surface. the axle is actually the "inner" bearing race. purchasing the correct aftermarket axles is actually not cost prohibitive, compared to the machine work necessary as markeb01 stated to do it right.

As far as the machine work required, any good machine shop with a skilled welder should be able to weld them up and re machine them for new pattern. I would not have any hesitation of using them in any way. except maybe not for drag racing or very heavy towing.
I accidently stumbled into a set of repair bearings at NAPA they keep you from having to buy new axles of yours are bad......here is a link to a picture of the repair bearing after it was installed....

http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-G...244856&k=WxHGc
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
laynrockers

Thanks guys.

I will pull mine and diagnose from there. Appreciate the input.
laynrockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
MOTOIMPAIRED

I think Moser will do it for $60. Check the web site..
MOTOIMPAIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Rooster's 67

A NOTE ABOUT "REPAIR BEARINGS" The repair bearings actually move the bearing inward on the axle, and should really only be used for a temporary "fix". even though the amount the bearing moves inward is "minimal" it does change the loading of the bearing as the centerline of the tire contact patch is moved outward in comparison to the original location. the bearing surface is not increased but the torsional load is increased.

think of the 90's when the 13" wheels stuck way out of the wheel well phase was popular. I replaced a lot of wheel bearings for customers because of excessive wheel offsets.

Best bet is to purchase new axles if the bearing surface is damaged and you can switch to 5 lug also.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote