The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
diabloceto

Drop questions...

I am getting just about ready to drop my 1972 Cheyenne. So I had a few questions I would like to clear up before I get into it. I know I either want a 2/5 drop or a 4/6 drop. I would like to be able to tow some things, a small 15 foot boat and a trailer for my riding lawn mower. Can I do that with either one of these drops? Also when I bought the truck the tires where shot and I put some used tires on it they didn't have the stock size they only had 31x10.50R15LT's. I do plan to put either some 17's or 18's on it in the future. Anyway, would the current tires rub on either of these drops? Thanks for any help you all can get appreciate it very much.

Richard
diabloceto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Drop questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloceto View Post
I am getting just about ready to drop my 1972 Cheyenne. So I had a few questions I would like to clear up before I get into it. I know I either want a 2/5 drop or a 4/6 drop. I would like to be able to tow some things, a small 15 foot boat and a trailer for my riding lawn mower. Can I do that with either one of these drops? Also when I bought the truck the tires where shot and I put some used tires on it they didn't have the stock size they only had 31x10.50R15LT's. I do plan to put either some 17's or 18's on it in the future. Anyway, would the current tires rub on either of these drops? Thanks for any help you all can get appreciate it very much.

Richard
As far as the 2/5 vs 4/6 dilemma.... it comes down to personal preference. Once many guys start the 'dropping bug', they want to go lower.

Are the current tires the same on all 4 corners? If so, that height could be an issue even w/the milder drop. I would wait until you have your future wheels/tires or get some tires that are a little shorter (my preference is 28-29" tall on these trucks).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
diabloceto

yes they are the same on all four corners. I was afraid that would be an issue. I'll just have to save a bit longer and do rims/tires and drop all at the same times. I can't see paying 500 bucks for a set of tires then turn around six months later and paying even more for rims/tires. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Richard
diabloceto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloceto View Post
yes they are the same on all four corners. I was afraid that would be an issue. I'll just have to save a bit longer and do rims/tires and drop all at the same times. I can't see paying 500 bucks for a set of tires then turn around six months later and paying even more for rims/tires. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Richard
They would prob still work on the rear so technically you could do shorter fronts & keep the 'old' fronts for swapping onto the rear @ a later time.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote