The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
hardhead

exhaust kit

Has anyone used a do it yourself exhaust kit. We are installing a 6.0 in our 66 and I want to do the system myself, can't trust the local shops to not butcher it up. I'm cool with the cutting and fitting just wandering if anyone has used a universal kit from Summit or the like.
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
billd5string

Re: exhaust kit

I want to do that as well. The only "universal" type system I found was from Hooker, but isn't quite what I'm looking for.

I hope to see some cool ideas on here.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
ozzyman

I installed Hookers Header back system, Fitment was decent but did require about 8" of trimming across 2-3 peices on each side. This may have been because I used magnaflow mufflers instead of the recommended hooker mufflers.

Also they sent me one wrong head pipe extension tube which had me scratching my head for a while. (I had a muffler shop duplicate the good one instead of waiting on hooker)

Overall for about $150 + $120 for mufflers it was a good kit, but be prepaired to wrestle with it a bit. what helped me alot was using emery cloth around all the joints in and out and filing all cuts real good to cut down any burs.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...8&postcount=13

I have more pics of the install if you need, Took my dad and I about 4 hrs, would have been way faster had we had a lift
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Indian113

ozzyman, did you clamp your joints or did you weld them?

I've been looking at a DIY kit from speedway,I want to replace my exhaust this winter after I take the cab and box off the frame.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
ozzyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
ozzyman, did you clamp your joints or did you weld them?

I've been looking at a DIY kit from speedway,I want to replace my exhaust this winter after I take the cab and box off the frame.
It's all clamped currently as I have no gas setup for my Mig and would hate to burn holes with 30 flux wire, Might practice on some spare pipe though to see if I can get the heat right

So far I've only heard one backfire on decel while the engine was really wound up and see no evidence of leaks.
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
jhrusk

I will soon be doing headers and exhaust myself,Speedway Motors have about the best prices.I will be using 2 chamber Flowmasters.
jhrusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What I am going to be doing on my Suburban is using various mandrel bends, an X-pipe, band clamps, hangers and a few feet of straight pipe to build a new exhaust. I've bought everything from Summit except for the straight pipe which I bought from one of my local auto parts suppliers.

Thrush used to offer an 2-1/2" exhaust system for the '63-'72 trucks, but last I looked it was no longer available. I believe Pypes makes a kit though. Seems like Flowmaster has one too, but I don't remember for sure.

Edit: The Thrush kit is available in limited places. Here is one

Amazon.com: Thrush 89027 Dual Exhaust Kit:... Amazon.com: Thrush 89027 Dual Exhaust Kit:...
Jegs has it....

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/89027/10002/-1

Seems like a pretty good price for a complete kit with mufflers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
Has anyone used a do it yourself exhaust kit. We are installing a 6.0 in our 66 and I want to do the system myself, can't trust the local shops to not butcher it up. I'm cool with the cutting and fitting just wandering if anyone has used a universal kit from Summit or the like.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 05-01-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote