The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question Which one??????

OK this is going to be a bit long but I need info on what to do.

First:
I talked to Dave @ Porterbuilt Street Rods today about his trailing arms and crossmember. We talked about them fitting my truck and came up with they want unless he can get a shock mount welded to them. He is going to get back with me on it when he finds out for sure. Thanks Dave!

I installed the no-limit rear shock kit and Daves arms have no way to mount it as is without a mod to the arms.

Ok so as long as they can get the tab put on what if any differances will I see using them over the CCP arms.

CCP arms are $100.00 more without the 1" lowering block than the Porter ones. I like the Porter ones much better but if we can't get the shock worked out is the CCP my only other choice?

I would like to hear what all of you have to say and share your thoughts. My truck has a static drop with rear helper air bags inside the coils. I'm not sure if the 1" lowering block is going to work either with my setup.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Which one??????

Try talking to nate at porterbuilt hes the guy building everything im sure he can weld on a shock mount to the trailing arms.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I'm going off of memory here, but if I'm right, Nolimit's shocks mount off the bottom of the arms like stockers...the only way I can see using the PB arms is by welding in a plate for a mounting surface, but also recessing in threads for the shock mount bolts

I would think that if PB doesn't make it work for you, you're better off going with the more expensive CPP arms. I wouldn't want to have anyone else but PB mod'in the arms, and if they can't make it work without being confident about it, I wouldn't really want anyone else trying.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
nds1968

An advantage to Porterbuilts arms is that they have some adjustment and the u-bolts don't go all the way through to the bottom.

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Pro Performance

I think the PB look better, an the adjustability in the crossmember is nice. Having the bolts not go through, make for a cleaner look under the truck.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Which one??????

I agree with everything all of you have said. I just hope they can get me a set to work with what I have already.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Which one??????

This never happened. PB wouldn't make the shock point on the arms. As of date haven't bought new arms yet but look like they are in my near future. i hope so anyway.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
This never happened. PB wouldn't make the shock point on the arms. As of date haven't bought new arms yet but look like they are in my near future. i hope so anyway.
Why 'new' arms? Why not just use another set of OE arms if there's something wrong w/the ones you have?

Looking @ their materials/construction, the CPP arms will bind faster than the OE units because they cannot flex like the GM engineered I-beam/rubber bushing design. No flex means the inherent bind from suspension travel will happen sooner.

That's the beauty of PB's arms. Solid tubular construction (stiffer than OE) w/a joint up front that allows articulation w/o binding. That & there's no need to purchase a lowering block as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Which one??????

Because the PB want have the shock mount on it is the biggest reason. I'm happy with the No Limit kit and like the way it rides. I'm not going to change it for now. Why do you say the cpp arms will bind they are just like factory arms that I can tell. Just better constructed I think. Plus mine are 40 some years old and I would like new ones.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 06-24-2014, 02:19 AM   #10
andrewmp6

What about having a local fab shop make you a lower shock mount on them?
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Because the PB want have the shock mount on it is the biggest reason. I'm happy with the No Limit kit and like the way it rides. I'm not going to change it for now. Why do you say the cpp arms will bind they are just like factory arms that I can tell. Just better constructed I think. Plus mine are 40 some years old and I would like new ones.
Original T/A's worked despite their direct coupling to the rear housing because they could flex enough. The reason they could flex was because of their length, triangulation, I-beam construction, & the rubber bushed sleeves in the front mounts.

The biggest problem w/aftermarket T/A's is they eliminate that ability to flex when they change the material (tubular construction doesn't allow twist like a I-beam will) & utilize poly bushings in the front (much more dense vs. the rubber bushed sleeves).

Eliminating that ability to flex means they will bind faster than OE arms will. Yes, they will be stiffer but that's not better when it's accompanied w/bind. Think of it as going around a corner @ a high rate of speed. The suspension needs to cycle properly. If it cannot operate freely throughout its range, it becomes unpredictable.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote