The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
TheApocalyptican

Engine Bogging

I have a problem with bogging from idle to about 2000 rpms. The bog is still there above 2000, just a whole lot less noticeable. It doesn't start happening until the truck is warmed up. Once warmed up, the problem comes and goes.
This is on a 350TBI/ 700R4. I have completely gone thru the TBI/Fuel system and had a computer hooked to it. Everything in the TBI system is working as it should, and reading on the computer as it should.

So, this leads me out of the TBI system to look for the problem, which is where you guys come in. What could cause an intermittent bogging issue on a warm engine?
TheApocalyptican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
wyattglock

Re: Engine Bogging

What type of distributor are you running? I just went through a similar problem with my 454tbi, turns out the pile of crap aftermarket dizzy I wasted my money on was the problem. I changed back to an AC Delco unit and put in a new module and the problem went away.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
TheApocalyptican

To be honest....I'm not sure of the brand, I'll have to look. Didn't really pay attention when I had it out to do the intake manifold, as I needed to get the truck back together asap. I've kinda been leaning toward a dist problem, as it seems to me that the problem feels like the timing being retarded. But the ecm itself is calling for the correct timing, so that leaves the dist. What aftermarket brand were you using?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
wyattglock

I dont recall the name, but it was a "special" one on fleabay that looks exactly like the Summit brand with the red cap. Has a nice billet base, but the reluctor isn't machined correctly for the pickup to sit around. Ends up hitting the pickup and causing signal problems to the ecm.
I am running an MSD Streetfire coil. I figure a little more juice for spark isn't going to hurt. In addition I am running Jegs 8mm wires and Accel header plugs. This seems to be the best combo for my engine.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
butch86

listen did you put an aluminum intake on your motor?????? if so try putting a ground wire to the hold down nut/bolt for the distrib. this has fixed a simular problem for me in the past. now i run a ground wire/ strap to every dizzy hold down bracket nut/screw.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
TheApocalyptican

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch86 View Post
listen did you put an aluminum intake on your motor?????? if so try putting a ground wire to the hold down nut/bolt for the distrib. this has fixed a simular problem for me in the past. now i run a ground wire/ strap to every dizzy hold down bracket nut/screw.
Yea, it's a stock manifold, but it is aluminum. I've got plenty of wire, so I'll give this a try.