The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
brans72

going frame off have a few ?'s

I am wondering how some of you do your frame off's as in order of project. Take do metal work first then move to frame and suspension,engine transmission then paint, and interior/wiring etc correct? Anyone wanna do a real break down on order of how the recomm doing it? Thanks Brandon
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Shyguy

Re: going frame off have a few ?'s

I guess it depends on what a person calls a frame off. Some people take everything off the frame, have it sand blasted and then paint it before putting anything back on it.

We always build the engine last and install it before putting on the front sheet metal.

I know it is best if you work out a pretty detail plan before starting and take plenty of pictures as you go. Label parts and put small items in zip lock bags.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
brans72

plan to take evrything off frame and have it blasted. transmission and engine are already to go. cab body work is almost done as far as replacement panels. So do I blast frame and reassemble then blast body and do body work then? Then move to paint,interior or what?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
tkeduk8r

I think this could be a pretty good thread and even made a sticky if a good enough plan is developed. For you guys that have done a frame off restoration, what was the process that you used, and what would you do differently next time/again. To add a bit more value (pun intended) we could put some dollar amounts behind what the overall costs of the jobs were in your case. (Ex. frame sandblast/powdercoat 800, stock engine rebuild 1,700. etc.) I think it would be interesting and provide another powerful point of perspective about what these restoration endeavours actually entail before they get started. JMO...
--Mike
68 Buick Skylark Custom Conv., 350/TH400/2.56 In our family since '79
69 GMC 1500 SWB 2WD, 350/TH350/3.73 posi...
70 K10 SWB 4X4 4-sp,ps, pb, tilt, buckets, console, sliding back window (Need AC parts) WIP
72 Chevy K20 4x4 350/350/205/4.56 donor
72 Vette 350/M21/3.70 posi, triple black and super fast
84 Olds Cutlass Brougham 350/2004r/4.11 was Dad's
tkeduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I think the best plan is to build from the ground up and inside out,up to a point.I would do frame,running gear and suspension first.Then bodywork before installing to frame.Then interior paint,including jambs etc.Then wiring harness.Next would be paint,than glass followed by interior.Trim,grille and bumpers next.Final details.

I would do as much panel alignment during assembly as possible and drill 1/8 holes to duplicate after paint.I would also plan a couple months between paint and final (Trim and such)to let paint cure so it could be cut and buffed.If it's a driver without show paint,that might not matter.I would wait until it's finished to put the new tires and wheels on to prevent overspray and to use as new of tires as possible.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
brans72

Good info here anyone else got input on does and don't? Gathering much info as possible here guys, so post up.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
72 tigger

I've done a few of these trucks & here's my 2 cents worth. 1-Disassemble the entire truck being careful to label,photograph & note as much as possible (as noted above). 2- mount the cab on a dolly (make your own)- the bed can sit on sawhorses. 3- I hate the bodywork part so, I do all that first (so I have the other stuff to look forward to) & get everything in final primer- then set it aside. 4- Restore the chassis & mechanical stuff. 5- Paint all the sheetmetal- (hang the fenders & doors so you can spray both sides at once) I don't like to paint everything at the same time- i.e. just paint the cab by it's self (it doesn't seem so overwhelming to me). 6- Mount the cab to the chassis & hook up all the mechanicals & electrical stuff- also install as much of the interoir as you can with the doors off. 7- Mount the doors. 8- Mount the doghouse & get it running again! 9- Mount the bed,bumpers,trim,etc. This is how I like to do it- looking forward to hearing how others do it. Also, as a side note I'm currently collecting parts for a 72 cheyenne super & finishing them (example- restoring a tach dash that I'll wrap up & box). My plan is to restore as many small things as possible & store them before I tear the truck apart. Then when I put it back together it should go faster since all the small stuff is ready to go in. Hope this makes sense/helps.
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote