The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
pat83t

Need help with wasp nest.

I keep finding 1 or 2 at a time in the cab of my truck. Not 100% sure where the nest is but I have a bad feeling that it is up inside the double paneled wall up above the fuel tank. Any good tricks to get them out?
pat83t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Need help with wasp nest.

We live in an area that has a large volume of yellow jackets, wasps, and hornets in the summer. We put out traps every year, but I also go through many cans of wasp & hornet spray. When they are really active I carry two cans, one to spray the nests and another one in my other hand to spray the ones in flight that aren’t very happy with me.

There may be a better way, but if it were me I’d resort to the spray cans and shoot a big dose of if up each side of the cab corners. If you still have an in cab gas tank, it might be more productive to remove the dome light and spray through the opening. You could also do the same thing with the sunvisor opening(s). Just make sure to cover yourself with clothing, gloves and a face shield because it’s almost inevitable some of it will drift back on you.

I’d then close the truck for an hour or so which should be more than enough time. It may take a few days for the stink to dissipate, but I’d rather put up with that than be stung again. I don’t remember if it’s yellow jackets or hornets but some of them can sting multiple times and it can be very unpleasant. I believe there are some brands that advertise low odor for indoor use, so that might help with the smell.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
awbrown

Save your money and do what I do .. Take a 2 liter bottle and fill it with water add a squirt of dish washing detregent and put a pin hole in the cap about the size of a toothpick or bigger .. take it to the junk yard or where ever you encounter those rotten things ..usually they are out in the open ,just blast them and they are dead... if it is a hive stick it in the opening and fill it good ....when the bottle gets half full just shake it up so it is foamy and keep on shootin....carb cleaner or wasp spray and a lighter are last resorts ....
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
lil hoodlum

How about settin' off a bug bomb, aka fogger.

Roll the windows up, set fogger off, place in cab, and close the door.

I've never used one, so I don't know if it would leave a big mess for you to clean up afterwards but it should kill anything living in side the cab.

Good luck!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I have used aws method in a pinch, the stuff I like the best is the foaming kind of spray, after you pinpoint an area with the spray the foam increases in size and can cover the whole nest.

they are all "home" late evening, and early morning when it is cool, if you knock down the nest in the afternoon, the ones that are out will come back and rebuild.

they are usually close to an edge or hole, try inspecting the area where you think they are..
are they getting in through a trim hole, a crack in the gas tank fill tube rubber?

spend a few minutes around the area in the evening, and you should see a few coming home, you can watch them land and crawl in.

I usually pinpoint thier nests , and then go on a killing spree at dawn when I get off work.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
1963c-10

Wasps can sting multiple times. As a paramedic, I have encountered both stings and chemical problems in the field from the pesticides. Most wasp/hornet sprays contain Phosphorus Trichlorides which are toxic. These chemicals do not simply dry out once sprayed. They have to be washed thouroughly with water to remove, so I wouldn't advise setting off a "bomb" in the truck. The effects of exposure to these chemicals are respiratory problems, permanent brain damage, effects to the nervous system, kidneys and liver. Remember the chemicals are designed to kill by nature. Obviously you have to remove the wasps from the truck, but be smart about it and try and use a non-toxic or natural chemical. There are plenty of them out there.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Good information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
1963c-10

Thanks, not often I get to advocate medical advise on a truck site, but we have alot of rural area and agriculture here, so pesticides and herbicides are taught here in EMS.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 05-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
ABX131

Hang one of those plastic yellow bee traps in the cab from the mirror. I hung one outside and filled it in two days. If the nest is in the truck it will fill quickly and just keep emptying it, then attack the nest.
ABX131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Vernski

I learned this from the postman, he told me he was having trouble with yellow jackets on his route. He said one day they would fly up to him and quickly fly straight away and wondered why. Well he noticed a dryer sheet in his uniform pocket but didn't connect with the yellow jackets right away. The next time on his route they were bothering him again and he thought about the dryer sheet. So now he put's one in his pocket and what do you know it works. We use them on our deck while eating just put under the edge of your plate and what do you know no yellow jackets. They are non-toxic so they don't hurt humans or pets just something in them insects don't like. If you use them in your truck you might have to refresh them every so often,the beauty here is there cheap non-toxic smell good to humans and they work...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
Boogie_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Thanks, not often I get to advocate medical advise on a truck site, but we have alot of rural area and agriculture here, so pesticides and herbicides are taught here in EMS.
Right on brotha, I'm a FF/EMT myself. BSI, Scene Safe! lol

I seem to remember that wasps/yellowjackets and all those stingin' flyin' critters leave behind a pheromone at the nest site so even after the existing ones are killed, they are likely to come back to the same spot. Pyrethrin (sp?) is supposed to not only kill the wasps but the residual pheromones also. It comes in a spray and works like a charm. That situation has to be pretty unpleasant.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
gearheads78

While we are on the subject a little off topic but related. My shop is full of spiders. If I don't go in for just a day I walk through 10 web strands going from one side to the other. Anyone have a non toxic idea for my 8 legged friends.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #13
1963c-10

The dryer sheets are said to repel most insects. I know they will work on wasps, bees, ants, gnats, flys, hornets...so try it on spiders too. The US Postal service released a statement to all their carriers to tie one on their belts to repel insects. And unless you eat about 1% of your weight in dryer sheets you'll be ok as far as the side effects go.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
vectorit
What?

I use plain old bug bombs. Pull the truck into the garage or something semi closed in, and pull the pin on a couple then later find those nasty buggers on the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by vectorit; 05-03-2012 at 07:37 PM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
NONHOG

I use ant killer, the type you mix with water. spray the nest 3 days later they are done.
But you have to find the nest or soak a couple headed to the nest.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
pat83t

Well, thanks all for the ideas. Not sure where to go with it yet. Definitely don't want to be inhaling any harmful chemicals on my sunday drives, but on the flip side the wife is extremely allergic to wasp and bee stings. I have only seen a couple in there on different dates but the guy I got the truck from told me that he kept finding them in there too. He was nice enough to wait about a month after I bought it to tell me.

I only think they are in the double wall do to the fact that my dome light is dangling down by the wires and 1 of the little pests was hovering around the dome light hole. I think I will try the traps and some drier sheets to push them out.
pat83t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
awbrown

FROM 1963 " The effects of exposure to these chemicals are respiratory problems, permanent brain damage, effects to the nervous system, kidneys and liver"

Now I know whats happened me ............
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #18
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

i've had them build on the pass side of a few trucks
also the door pillers from hole in the bottom
this one fell out from the front most hole, top pass side fender,while blowing air ,painting
usally use carb cleaner...drop like flies
gona try the sheets,use them to keep mice out of the trailer,thanks
my 89 they were threw around the headlight,front door jam
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #19
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
The dryer sheets are said to repel most insects. I know they will work on wasps, bees, ants, gnats, flys, hornets...so try it on spiders too. The US Postal service released a statement to all their carriers to tie one on their belts to repel insects. And unless you eat about 1% of your weight in dryer sheets you'll be ok as far as the side effects go.
just buy a 100 boxes of sheets and make a car cover LOL

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 AM   #20
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
i've had them build on the pass side of a few trucks
also the door pillers from hole in the bottom
this one fell out from the front most hole, top pass side fender,while blowing air ,painting
usally use carb cleaner...drop like flies
gona try the sheets,use them to keep mice out of the trailer,thanks
my 89 they were threw around the headlight,front door jam
That's what I was gonna add, it drops 'em quicker than anything I've ever seen, even the commercial spray. Don't breathe it tho.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #21
BlazinC5

Try using some WD-40. Kills them fast and won't hurt anything on your truck. If ya have an idea of where they may be, use the straw and get as close as ya can, you will know if ya found them by them falling out of there trying to flee. Plus I like the smell of WD-40, But it also will evaporate out of there fairly quick, like a few days or so. so nothing long term to wory about. I been doing that for years with my rigs when the wasps got industrial.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
gearheads78

Carefull using carb cleaner. It will melt lacquer paint.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #23
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Once they're all dead, make sure to close the windows and vents when you're away from the truck so they don't set up housekeeping all over again.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
1963c-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwillie 696969 View Post
just buy a 100 boxes of sheets and make a car cover LOL
Haha...now thats an idea I like.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 05-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
That's what I was gonna add, it drops 'em quicker than anything I've ever seen, even the commercial spray. Don't breathe it tho.
yep, carb cleaner (and brake cleaner) is awesome at getting rid of stinging and biting things! Actually, last year I bought some eco friendly spider killer that's made from crysanthemums and man, it kills spiders fast - though not as fast as the aforementioned sprays...hehe