The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
lenguini

Radiator help

Greetings all !Im looking for a rad that will fit flush at the top of the rad support as in the picture below.Will be using the flat aluminum plate as a top mount as well.
Im running a SB Mid performance 283, Vintage air cond. as well as a two speed powerglide trans.

Help to get the correct match will be appreciated.If you have a pic of what you have used and it is the same as what Im asking,please post it here with the necessary info on type etc.

Cheers,
Ed.
Attached Images

My build thread-project truck dream 65"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510863

Last edited by lenguini; 05-03-2012 at 01:29 AM.
lenguini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Radiator help

The summitt rad I used might be the one. Search my thread for summitt radiator
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
TopFuel1966

http://www.mattsonscustomradiator.com/
Attached Images

TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
lenguini

Thanks Al.I searched your build but could not find.Do you have any more on the rad..part number,etc ?

Thanks,
Ed.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The Summit universal aluminum radiator that will fit without modifications is SUM-380325 and the one with a built in auto trans cooler is SUM-381325. ChiefRocka used this radiator in the build of his old truck, and there were pics of it installed, but I was no able to find it. I believe it should sit flush with the top of the radiator support as you are wanting.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The Summit universal aluminum radiator that will fit without modifications is SUM-380325 and the one with a built in auto trans cooler is SUM-381325. ChiefRocka used this radiator in the build of his old truck, and there were pics of it installed, but I was no able to find it. I believe it should sit flush with the top of the radiator support as you are wanting.
Thanks John, Summit PN SUM-381328 is the number I came up with.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have a SUM-380328 radiator and while it does fit between the left inner fender and the battery tray, it is not centered. It will work just fine that way, but it just bugs the crap outta me, not being centered. I have begun fabricating a slightly different battery tray that will sit farther to the passenger side to allow the radiator to be centered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Thanks John, Summit PN SUM-381328 is the number I came up with.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
lenguini

Thanks Cap !Just went through CheifRoca'S thread with pics and info.This is a big help and appreciate you passing it forward.
His rad is part number sum-380324.The only issue may be the routing of the lower hose as the inlet is at an odd angle.He cut and repositioned his,Im hoping I can skip this step.
Im researching the summit site to see if this same rad is available with a diffrent angle lower inlet.

Thanks a millon !

Cheers,
Ed.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
lenguini

I will go with your number SUM-381325 with the built in trans cooler.Did you have any issues with lower hose/fan clearence ? Your rad is 27 1/2 wide,mine will be 25 3/4.Your thoughts ?
The idea of cutting and welding the inlet on a new one bothers me.

Cheers,
Ed.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
lenguini

How did you find yours centered Al ? I might go with the less wide version.

Cheers,
Ed.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
lenguini

What are the dimensions of your rad ? What did you do for lower mounting brackets and what are you running for an engine and transmission ?
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ed.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I haven't got to the point of actually placing the radiator between the inner fenders yet. However I have done a bit of measuring, and the radiator I have (380382) will fit between the inner fenders. The issue I have is that the battery tray is a little further towards center that the pass inner fender, which pushes the radiator off center. I'm just a bit anal about things like that, so I am moving the battery over about 1-3/4". I think you would be just fine with the 381325 radiator. It should be centered, and not have to move the battery over.

As for the radiator outlet (lower port) I do plan to remove the original and re-weld it on in a straight position. If you were to leave it as it comes, you may be able to use a lower hose for a '67-'72, as some of those have an angled up lower hose port.

Sorry for the misinformation. I thought Chief used the 380325 instead of the 380324.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguini View Post
I will go with your number SUM-381325 with the built in trans cooler.Did you have any issues with lower hose/fan clearence ? Your rad is 27 1/2 wide,mine will be 25 3/4.Your thoughts ?
The idea of cutting and welding the inlet on a new one bothers me.

Cheers,
Ed.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
lenguini

Hey Cap..thanks for the info.Yeh,Cheif used the same rad Im interested in only no built in trans cooler in his which would explain the dif in the part numbers.
I would like to go bigger as more rad surface is better for cooling,but Im not crazy about cutting up my inners to make it work and I dont know that Id be gaining alot anyway!
Ill look into the options for a lower rad hose...I kinda like the hose thats in the pic I posted on this thread.Im not familiar with the product,but it looks like It will be easy to bend and form to avoid the fan clearance.
Cheers,
Ed.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

In looking again at the pic you posted of the green truck, it looks to me like they have moved the battery to the right. It is possible that truck has the 380328 radiator or one similar in size. With a mild 283 I think you will be just fine with the 381325 or 381324 radiator. Of course fan(s) and shroud will make a difference in cooling efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguini View Post
Hey Cap..thanks for the info.Yeh,Cheif used the same rad Im interested in only no built in trans cooler in his which would explain the dif in the part numbers.
I would like to go bigger as more rad surface is better for cooling,but Im not crazy about cutting up my inners to make it work and I dont know that Id be gaining alot anyway!
Ill look into the options for a lower rad hose...I kinda like the hose thats in the pic I posted on this thread.Im not familiar with the product,but it looks like It will be easy to bend and form to avoid the fan clearance.
Cheers,
Ed.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Chevy Fleetside

This is what I was going to do. This radiator is a bit wider then what Chief used in his truck. I also have a stock style Aluminum radiator I can go with instead. I think the flat radiator is a cleaner look. I had a sheetmetal guy bend that bracket up for me and it has since been painted. To get a Stainless Steel one would have been about $21.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
rideblue00

What is the part no.and vendor name of your rad? Will it fit in the stock rubber mount? How about dimensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fleetside View Post
This is what I was going to do. This radiator is a bit wider then what Chief used in his truck. I also have a stock style Aluminum radiator I can go with instead. I think the flat radiator is a cleaner look. I had a sheetmetal guy bend that bracket up for me and it has since been painted. To get a Stainless Steel one would have been about $21.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
Chevy Fleetside

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...m-381328&dds=1 I believe it is this one. I can measure the one I have. I had to take the lower mounts off and raise them up to get the radiator flush with the support. Carraige bolts work just fine. The hardest thing I can see with using the cross flow is finding a lower radiator hose.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote