The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2003, 11:15 PM   #1
mattyj

Question Is it worth, upgrading my ignition system?

I'm thinking of upgrading my ignition sytem on my 454, I'm also thinking of upgrading my ignition on my other truck a 1990 Nissan pickup truck.

My buddy put an MSD offroad ignition on his truck, which by the way is a damn trailer queen and nothing but a kick but offroader! But he has less then 10,000kms on it and has crapped out already! We emailed MSD and they said that the warranty is 1 year, he has barely driven this truck. I'm a little scepticle to investing in something like that! Especially when mine is a daily driver!

Does anyone run an MSD system on their truck? And does it run alright please tell me the plusses and minuses of doing this type of upgrade?

Thank you so much,
Mattyj

P.S. Sorry about telling everybody that I own an import but my wallet had to bow down to the fuel effiency gods! But the way does anyone happen to know a thing or 2 about multiport fuel injections on import nissan trucks? i have questions! I can barely work on a carb vehicle and now this import is acting up on me, I am going to either get rid of it for another Chev 2wd, or a mule and buggy!
Old 05-11-2003, 07:45 AM   #2
Mike76251

I did a MSD spark box (6 series) mod on my truck.........let's see........two years ago this June.
I went with the HEI hop up kit and a spark box.

I like it so far (ie:when I push the right pedal it goes forward(!))

I did it mainly to get the coil out of the distributer.....it puts too much heat on the module for me.

I next need to rid the truck of the factory distrib. with a MSD magnetic job and I will be module free (at last).

The one thing I know about those systems (I won't say how )
is that they put out far more juice than factory ignition.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
c10scotty
~THE SILVER BULLET~

ive heard nothin but good about MSD, aside from your story

if you do it i would go msd...dont go cheap and go with accel, they suck from everything i have heard. btw, i dont think there are really any downsides from upgrading your ignition as long as it doesnt crap out on you like your friend's did.