The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
JumboAMONGus

Valve grinder ?

I found an old soiux valve seat grinder any one ever use one of these to do your own valve seats , ? would be fun to try but the directions were all torn and faded ?anyon one any info
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Valve grinder ?

I used one for years in the high school autoshop that I taught in.

What all did you get? The valve facing machine, the hard seat grinder, stones for the hard seat grinder?

One thing I'll say right now is to be very careful when you dress the stones. The diamond nib (that little adjustable screw thing with the stone (diamond) in it that is used to dress the stones cost 35.00 each 25 years ago and I don't know what they cost no but it is very easy to take too big a bite and knock the diamond out of the end of the screw and ruin it. What I usually did was to back the dressing stone off enough so that it cleared the stone you were dressing and then turn it back in a little (like a quarter or half turn) bit at a time so it lightly touches the stone you are dressing.

Do the same with any valve you have in the refacer. Adjust it in a bit at a time until it comes into contact with the valve and take it slowly.

You can usually get the soluble oil to use in the valve facer at Napa. It gets mixed with water but I don't remember the ratio right now.

Last edited by mr48chev; 05-04-2012 at 10:39 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
JumboAMONGus

[/IMG] heres a few pics
Old 05-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
JumboAMONGus

[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
JumboAMONGus

to bee honest i wouldnt even know what the diamond bit looks like
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
GMtrucknut!!

The tool which has the lever that moves up and down has the diamond tip in t . It is the little tip which is on the end of the part that screws in usually you would want to take several light passes with the stone to true it up.Being a sioux that was the best back in the day. I was an Automotive machinist for several years and spent many hours using that exact style seat grinder.
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
mr48chev

The tool on the right with the lever on it is the stone dresser

The piece I circled is the diamond nib that you use to dress the stones.
You set the angle that you want to dress the stone at on the gauge the side and then set the stone and holder on the pin . I usually adjust the screw on the nib so that the tip just misses the stone or just barely grazes it. Then you set the motor on top and spin the stone while working the dressing bit back and forth. Adjust the bit in just a bit and go again until you have a smooth surface across the face of the stone.

It's usually best to clamp the stone dresser in a vise or to the bench but you can try it on the bench if you like. I'd get used to spinning the stone on it smoothly before attempting to dress the stone.

The different pins at the back behind the stones are what you put in the valve guides in the head.

Start out on a junk head and work at cutting the seat and then narrowing it with the stone that has less angle to get the right seat width and height.

If you decide that it isn't something you want or need give me a pm as I've been thinking about getting one.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
JumboAMONGus

i might have to think about that ,, hmmm may trade for some work onome heads i have ,, lol
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
papastrk

Also, the stone holder should spin smoothly on the pin mentioned above. They can go bad. Oil the pin each time you shoot a seat. There is a great deal to learn about shooting seats with this machine, so try to find someone near you that can actually go through the steps in shooting a seat. It takes time to master, but it is nice to be able to do you own valve seat work. Enjoy.
papastrk is offline   Reply With Quote