The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
69CRUZR

New Guy (truck) on the block. My 53 GMC project

Hey guys. Joined this forum years ago with my 69 Shortbed Stepside in mind, and never actually made a post. Looked at many pictures and such but thats about as far as it went. Now it was my dads turn as we built the 69 for me, and he deserved one this time! We bought the truck, and tragically a week later found out he had stage 4 melanoma... Everyday normal guy that got blindsided with a 50% chance of living 9 months... Long story short the truck became what he and I spent every available minute on (between my work schedule and how healthy he was during chemo and etc). He ended up making it 20 months and we finished the entire chassis, had the engine in, wired up on a test panel and running. Also did a few body mods along the way and gathered a pile of parts so we could make damn sure to get exactly what my dad wanted for the truck.

I will stop rambling now and share the pictures with you, hope you guys enjoy them! This place is a great source of information and I will be taking advantage of that!
Attached Images

69CRUZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
69CRUZR

Re: New Guy (truck) on the block. My 53 GMC project

more
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
69CRUZR

more..
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
69CRUZR

some more
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
69CRUZR

I suppose If im trying to do this in some sort of chronological order (not succeeding the best, I have hundreds of pictures and it takes way too long to really do a good job at uploading them) then I should post a video of the engine running after I got the new cam in, computer reflashed, and temp wired up on a test panel to fire it up in the truck. This was a HUGE point in the project as every goal we had made for the truck and my dad had been crushed as his health was rapidly deteriorating by this point. He actually only lived about a month after we made this video. He had said hearing the engine run was a huge goal of his and Im so happy to have been able to make that a reality. He didnt have the strength to even torque down head bolts by this time...

Old 05-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
69CRUZR

These pictures are fastforwarded a bit after my dad passed and I finally mustered up the courage to get back out in the shop working without my build partner... things just arent the same. But luckily I was able to get hooked up with a talented enough body guy/ metal worker to help with the parts of the project Im not able to do (metal working, body mods, etc. he is also going to be the finish painter) . My dad was a professional welder for just short of 20 years so with his talent I never had any reason to try on the trucks, as it would never hold a candle to his work. He may not have been a body guy, but did great at things like capping off the end of the bed, shaving fuel filler hole in cab and all that. Heres the pics!
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
69CRUZR

well thats all for now folks. That took a long time haha! Hope you guys enjoy the pictures, figured it was about time I shared the project (s) (theyre never done) with everybody! Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
Rude Dude

Sorry for your loss, lost my Dad in 1993. I can never build stuff as good as him but he would always guide me in the right direction. Don't let this truck go save it for your offspring some things are priceless and I think this is one of them.

Last edited by Rude Dude; 05-06-2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

What an amazing story. Sorry for your loss.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
GMtrucknut!!

My dad and I always worked on his 71 GMC and I will never fail to stop and think of him when I drive his truck and someone compliments me on it! His chair which he had in my shop to sit in and relax as he got near the end still stays there. I am now building a 55.2for myself and I miss my buddy hanging in the shop while working on mine.
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
mknittle

Sorry about your dad!
That is a nice looking truck! and I bet your dad is glad you are back at it.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
69CRUZR

Thanks for the kind words guys. The truck progress stopped for roughly a year after he passed for me to regain my bearings i guess and figure out what the heck I was going to do from there on out. Since then have been hard at it and it feels GOOD! We spent 5 days a week working on the truck together while I was working 55-60 hr weeks at a machine shop. It was an insane couple of years but I wouldnt change it for anything! The memories created during that time period is all I have left to hang onto, and Im damn glad it was possible!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
98layinframe

first off.. sorry for the loss of your father. Second, love the build and look forward to seeing it finished. What brand of mustang II front cross member and arm setup did you use? How much was it if i may ask?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
T Hilde

Awesome build. Sorry about your dad.
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
69CRUZR

The mustang 2 set up was bought through Classic Performance Products, made by TCI, and included the entire hub to hub mustang 2 crossmember with 5 lug disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, motor mounts for an LS series engine, tubular transmission crossmember, tubular rear crossmember for coilover mounts, the entire tubular 4 link set up in the rear with coilovers, as well as the frame mounted master cylinder. I think there is more Im forgetting but it was a very complete package. And honestly I cannot remember what the total price of that was, I have receipts in the shop but would have to dig them up. That was bought nearly 3 years ago now and it was during a parts buying frenzy when we sat down and thought of everything which my Dad and I decided would be fit for the truck. All I know is that when we considered how complete the kit was and how much of the engineering and fitment was already figured out for us the kit was well worth it.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
Root2812

Welcome back to the Forum. Its nice to see another guy from Pigs Eye on here. Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad and I didn't have much of a relationship at all until I got back from the army. Then just as we started to spend time together and enjoy each others company I moved off to graduate school. Now I am back and finally getting to work on my truck with my dad. I can't imagine losing him now. I'm glad that you are getting the build done for him. It will be a great way to honor his memory and remember the good times.

Also, thanks for the pictures. I've been kicking around the idea of putting a 5.3 with the IFS and 4 link in mine. Its nice to see pictures of other peoples set ups.

Don't be a stranger and keep the posts coming.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
IndyBowtie

Cool truck and story. Treasure those moments with him. I lost my dad very early on, and cannot begin to say how much I wish I would have spent more time with him. He was not into cars, but we did fish together some. We camped as a family alot growing up, and now I restore vintage campers, so his presence is always felt. I am liking the 4 link idea and thinking of changing the leaf spring set-up to this real soon.
I did a similar MII on my'48 and cut my springs for a little lower stance and now my shocks are bottoming out, so maybe new springs are in order.
IndyBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
eagleuh1

Nice trucks. Glad to see your finishing your dads truck for him. Was hoping to see it nearly done though. Did I make it clear how I made my Cold Air intake in the PM I sent you back. Pretty easy to make, and pretty cheap too; 2 things I like. I looked at a 53 Chevy panel here recently. Pretty nice. Need to finish my current project though. Liking you 53 though. Good luck. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote