The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
DuramaxJan

Questions for C20 project.

Hey guys!
This really is a great forum with alot of people that give me inspiration to start my build project. So I am posting here to try and get some tips, advice and ideas for my build.

I have recently(finally) bought a 1967 Chevy C20 Camper Special Longbed 327cui 4spd manual. Iīve had plans for years, to make this build. As of right now its been stripped down and getting ready for sandblasting. And before i do to much painting I have a few questions for you guys that I hope you have som experience with.

1. As my intention is to put down a Duramax/allison combo(preferably LBZ/6spd) I have spent some time looking for info on how much modification I will have to do to my front end? And also since I live in Norway, Engines and parts arenīt that easy to get a hold of. So I will have to get a powerplant from the US. I was thinking of maybe contacting Merchant automotive. Or do you recommend any other?

2. I am also looking into air suspension. I have little or no experience with airsprings so what systems do you recommend? Can I just replace the springs with airbags, and build a system around that? or would i need a 4-link setup in the back? Will I be best of by replacing my front arms when im at it?

- My intentions when it comes to drivability and use are that I want a truck that is stock height and as comfy as possible to ride, but I will also use it to haul some trailers. Basically a stock look.

This might sound like a over-ambitious project, but I have been saving for this a long time. And are planning on spending a lot of money and hours on this project. And I would appreciate to get some good advice from you guys that have modified these trucks earlier.

Included a quick picture from "day one" earlier this week. Got rid of the rotten boards and took the bed off.

Regards from Norway
DuramaxJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
DuramaxJan

Becoming a build thread..

I can see that I am off to a really slow start on this thread, and i guess it will kinda transform into a build thread from now on out, as the powerplant for the truck is inhouse since yesterday.
I found a complete frame with LB7 duramax diesel, stage4 allison trans, axles and all electrical wiring. It was quite a bargain pics included!

First will make it all fit in, before i start sandblasting the frame components.

DuramaxJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Questions for C20 project.

-
I can't help with the Duramax install but I want to welcome you to the board from the great state of Iowa.

I don't know if this is anything like your engine but it might give you some pointers.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472138

You might try to send 72duraburb a message. If you click on his name in one of his posts and select "send a private message to 72duraburb" it will contact him personally.

Also type Duramax into the "Google" search box at the top of this page, click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com" and click on the "Google" button you will find some threads on the subject.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote