The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
1966chevytrucks

Can a 66 be a daily driver and a project?

So the back story on this ol 1966. I first put eyes on this truck back in 1995. It belonged to a friend in El paso, Texas. He had a lot of classic trucks for the mission that his family ran. All of there classics were named so that anyone could pick them out in the lot. This one was named or should i say is named Green machine. It drove great and was in pretty good repair back then. Years had passed and i hadnt seen the truck for a while but i was now out of college and wanted that old truck. A few calls to talk him out of it and now the truck lives in central illinois. As most do time was short and money even tighter. The truck had a hard life in the few years that i hadnt seen it. A few cans of krylon left it looking a little pale. So the project begins the fuel pump has since went bad and the carb is a little dirty. But the sound of the old engine was music to my ears.
1966chevytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
hopped up

Re: Can a 66 be a daily driver and a project?

i drive my 64 daily and do upgrades on the weekend. and gotta keep up with the maintenance to be able to make it to work during the week
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Same as hopped up, mine was a daily driver for over 15 years as I did upgrades, repairs and modifications over the weekends. The only time it was truly off the road was in 1998 because it took a year to tear it all down and put it back together for its first repaint. After relocating to Idaho, 9 years of the commute was 72 miles a day round trip.

Looking forward to some photos.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
ozzyman

After My small cab rust repairs I plan on having mine be a "weekend" daily driver during the entire progress......

It might be short some parts from time to time but I hope to keep it worthy of the weekend home depot trips the entire time. although gutting the interior and replacing the front drivers door pillar, kick panel and partial floor board has only actually taken about 8-10 hrs of actual work it has cost two weeks of non road worthy time so far, The price of have such a large family to take car of i suppose
ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
1966chevytrucks

I'm thinking more like ozzyman its the weekend ride. I want to take the little man to the local drive-in and some car shows. Want to enjoy it while I enjoy working on it.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
MisterC

Mine, for all intensive purposes is a daily driver. Fortunately, I have a work provided vehicle for times like now, where I'm doing some extensive upgrades/repairs. Unless you're planning on doing a frame off resto or major modifications like some of the talented guys on these forums, I believe being able to drive it is the only thing that can keep us motivated at times.

Honestly, everytime I take it off the road for another upgrade, I so look forward to that first drive out of the garage again!
350 V-8 - Powerglide

My not so much a build thread as a "Slow Progression Thread":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486894
MisterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
1966chevytrucks

Well i found a few moments to play in the garage. And as i removed the dist to aid a brother get home from a car show. I now have to reset the timing and get it running after it has sat for the past few years. It is still fun but would rather be driving it on a great day like today. I played around with the timing a touch and just cant decide whats best untill i drive it. It seemed to be good at about 12deg. Want to find time tomorrow but mom gets the pick of the day. Alll said and done any time with the old truck is a good time.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
old cruiser

mine is my daily , I took it off the road for 3 days while I fitted the air ride suspension and yes you have to tinker to keep em going.
old cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
brokenspoke

Show us some pictures
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

it can be but you need to decide what you really want to do with it. If you want to drive it, and make changes as thing go..sure no problem.

IF you want a "build" though, I would suggest having alternative transport. Some projects can't be done in a day or even a weekend, and its nice to be able to walk away and wait for parts or make a plan of attack. I've done the "daily as a project" plenty of times, but everytime at least once I have to leave it down for 4-5 days etc. I.e. if you want to strip something to bare metal, full bodywork, and paint...

Again, if you want to drive it, and mess with some stuff on weekends, no reason you can't ANYTHING you want. Remember, these WERE daily drivers for thousands of people, for the past 40 years.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
jocko

well if you are just wanting to drive it on the weekends, it's a no brainer - it's not a daily driver - as in one you HAVE to have running in order to get to work. So it sounds like you have a good scenario - you can drive something else to work and not have to rely on this for your livelihood. If that's really the case, then you can do as everyone else has stated - work on small projects here and there and drive it in between while still having the luxury of taking an extended period off driving it and do bigger stuff to it. Best of both worlds. Anyhoo - in my mind, a DD means it absolutely, positively, has to be ready to go on monday morning to get to work. THAT can be a frustrating scenario, gotta always button up the weekend work in time for monday - i've done that before, as it sounds like some of the folks here have, and to a great degree also, but if it's possible to have a different work vehicle, then there's no harm in breakin it down for big stuff evedry once in a while.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
1966chevytrucks

Went to take pictures and the camera wont link to the computer.. rrrh Anyway hooked up the fuel tank and she powered out of the garage for the first time in 5 years. It even made it back in to its parking spot till i get the license plates on it and some tranny fluid. Its low but i had to try and drive it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
ol_skool_chevy

mine has been a day to day driver from the day I got it..........never missed a day..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9811063&type=3

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
brap999

I usually tell people not to daily drive their project cars or trucks. I learned over the years they always seem to need a repair, or an unfinished weekend project which leaves you stranded Monday.

However, My 63 is my daily driven project, so I'm a hypocrite
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
SS317

I drive mine daily for work, and it works pulling my landscaping rig. I upgrade on the weekends or when something breaks. I do get a lot of downtime in the winter so that's when I try to plan the big stuff, like I did a 700R4 this winter. I'm doing rear air bags tomorrow. It can be done but you have to have a little spare cash on hand in case it breaks.
SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
1enick72

Mine is a daily driver and in the last month I have swapped the 6 cyl for a L98 TPI engine, dropped it 4.5/5 (drop spindles and springs all around), replaced ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks and power disc brake conversion. There have been a few long weekends but it can be done for sure.
1enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote