The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Average Joe

Max towing with C-10 'Burb

I recently aquired a 25' travel trailer with a gross weight rating of 6600# and dry weight of 5500#. I am going to pull said trailer with my '67 c10 suburban. I was planning on swapping out my 283 for the 454 in my pickup for some time and this just clinched the deal. Power wise I think I'll be fine after the motor swap but I am concerned about the 600 pound tongue weight and overall handling especially with rear coils. I will be using load bars and sway control device as well. The trailer is very well balance and towed like a dream behind my buddies diesel Excursion with no sway bars for the ride home. But that thing is a freakin tank! Are auxillary air bags in my future? Rear sway bar? Aftermarket c- clip eliminator axles? I guess I'm just curious as to what setups you guys are using. Thanks for any input.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
jeremiah king

Re: Max towing with C-10 'Burb

I would think air bags for sure. I put my car trailer behind my 69 3/4 burb with a truck on it and tong of the trailer was very low. The ezlift system may help. I have never installed one on a trailing arm truck this system was ment for leaf springs. Good luck I am sure you can find somthing to work for you.

1969 GMC Longhorn 396
1969 Chevy 3/4 ton LWB 396
1983 Toyota pickup 22R
2012 Toyota Scion Xb
jeremiah king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Average Joe

Thanks for the reply jeremiah. Yeah I'm thinking about the air bags or possibly a stiffer rear spring. I did a quick search and found this question had been asked several times in the past.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Street Smart

I tow with both of my trucks. I`ve even had another C10 surburban on the trailer towing with my `70 panel. My monte weighs about 3650+ trailer 1300+equipment 200 pounds, i tow all the time. I use "weight distribution bars" on my trailer helps take some of the weight off of the tow vehicle, both trucks are lowered, my Suburban has air bags in the rear coils. I`ve towed as far south as Georgia, up to Mass.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CHT-17001/

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
capev86

air bags are great on a lowered vehicle. but i prefer the simplicity of stronger springs on a tow vehicle. just upgrade the rear coils to 3/4 ton spec (that should have been standard equipment instead of optional on a burb IMO). LMC doesn't even carry standard 1/2 ton rear coils. they have them for 1/2 ton HD and 3/4 ton (same part number) and 3/4 ton HD. fresh standard 3/4 ton rear springs should be plenty for a 600 lb tongue load. i wouldn't recommend the super duty units on a 1/2 ton axle (not to mention rough ride when not towing). the standard rear leaf packs on my dad's current 99 burb c1500 (1/2 ton) are rated about the same as my 72 burb c20 (3/4 ton) rear coils...go figure!

1/2 ton = 1400 lbs per side
3/4 ton = 2000 lbs per side
3/4 HD = 2700 lbs per side

if the trailer is well balanced you won't need the sway control because burbs have a long stable wheelbase (but it doesn't hurt anything either). my dad ditched the sway control for our 71 Holiday 21' back when he was still using his 72 burb to tow.

i recommend upgrading to 1971+ front disc if you haven't done that already. other things to consider....good modern shocks, tires, brake controller, HD cooling, aux coolers, etc. the big front sway bar from an 80's 1 ton chevy will bolt on in place of what was available for our trucks.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Average Joe

Thanks for the input and link Street Smart. I may drop the 'Burb in the future so glad to learn from your experience towing 5k+. Hey Cape I found some of your previous response(s) to similar towing questions. Great advice! I already have a front sway bar from a 86 Burb waiting to be put on. I'm gonna use the disk front end from my pickup when I swap in the 454. I already have the factory half leaf overloads. I'm a firm believer in auxillery tranny coolers so thats on the list as well. I'll be using a factory 4 core radiator out of a 71 Olds Vista Cruiser that originally had a 455. I hope its up to snuff. BTW the trailer in question is a '77 Holiday Rambler.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
capev86

my dad's 72 burb had bottomed out rear coils by the time he was using it in the mid 80's. it was a highlander package truck and came with the overload 1/2 leafs. after he got some 3/4 ton coils installed the aux springs never came into play and that's with a 6k pound (loaded) trailer with an 800 pound tongue weight.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
TexasT

Quote:
Originally Posted by capev86 View Post
if the trailer is well balanced you won't need the sway control because burbs have a long stable wheelbase (but it doesn't hurt anything either). my dad ditched the sway control for our 71 Holiday 21' back when he was still using his 72 burb to tow.
I would like to disagree. Especially if you have any kind of cross wind. The Semi trucks create quite a suction as they go by. I pulled a 28' enclosed back to Texas from Kentucky without sway control and I will never (and I mean NEVER) tow that big again without it. It was a "white knuckle" ride for me. Way better to have and not need than need and not have.