The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Under hood bracing

The hood on every on of these trucks I have ever owned has vibrated and banged around to the point that I am bothered by it. I have considered welding (probably just tack welding to avoid excessive warpage) the under hood brace to the actual hood skin. Is this something anyone else has done? Most all that I usually see is a few shop rags or cardboard shoved in between the bracing and the hood to help support it. If I did go through with some sort of welding I would probably undercoat the entire hood with lizard skin then possibly paint it body color. I have no idea if this is smart or not, just seems like it would look good. Any opinions on this???

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Under hood bracing

All the vendor sell a padding that glues in between the hood and the brace. That's how GM did it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Don't weld the hood skin to the brace. It will just crack and break off any way.

I added a cross brace made from a section of hood brace from a junked one. I put some curve in it to push up the middle then welded it to the existing braces. This is similar to the way they do the cowl hoods now. Also don't bother with the original style pads. The body shops now have a product similar to the seam sealer, that is in a caulking tube. You just use cardboard or something to push up the hood where you want it, from one side of the braces. Then add the caulk and let it cure. Pull out the cardboard and do that side of the brace. It is paintable also. My hood is pretty solid now compared to how it was originally. They put a solid seam of it along the main braces, the stitched it in the middle. They also used it along the front and back braces of the hood.

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
All the vendor sell a padding that glues in between the hood and the brace. That's how GM did it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, and I am normally pretty fond of how the factory did things, but in the case of points ignition, drum brakes, manual steering, crappy hood bracing etc, I feel the need to upgrade to something that suits me better. It just seems like a bad design in this case.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
x ReAcT x

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
What vendors sells that padding? Thanks in advance

10 Bolt Axle Rebuild Tutorial:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536415
x ReAcT x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Don't weld the hood skin to the brace. It will just crack and break off any way.

I added a cross brace made from a section of hood brace from a junked one. I put some curve in it to push up the middle then welded it to the existing braces. This is similar to the way they do the cowl hoods now. Also don't bother with the original style pads. The body shops now have a product similar to the seam sealer, that is in a caulking tube. You just use cardboard or something to push up the hood where you want it, from one side of the braces. Then add the caulk and let it cure. Pull out the cardboard and do that side of the brace. It is paintable also. My hood is pretty solid now compared to how it was originally. They put a solid seam of it along the main braces, the stitched it in the middle. They also used it along the front and back braces of the hood.
That's all very good info! I will probably copy what you have done. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Just in case someone decides to use the original style pads...

GM didn't glue the pads on. They were squeezed in and the pressure kept them in place. Of course the rubber dries out and becomes brittle after 40 plus years so it needs to be replaced. I replaced it on my 68 and it stopped the vibration.

If anyone wants to go the pad route, be extremely careful when prying between the brace and the hood. The top is easily damaged so don't use a metal prybar. I used a wide wooden wedge similar to a wooden shingle.

Having said that, I have also experimented with adding a brace on a spare hood but never finished it. I used 1" square tubing bent slightly to conform to the hood curvature and planned on installing it parallel to the other braces with a pad under it.
Attached Images

68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
MrSchaeferPants

That's funny, I was looking at mine yesterday and was wondering the same thing, was going to ask this morning. That link isn't working for me, I'll try again later.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by x ReAcT x View Post
What vendors sells that padding? Thanks in advance
All of the after market vendors selling classic truck parts, LMC, Brothers, Truck Shop, GMCPauls, Classic Heartbeat, Classic Parts Depot, Classic Industries, to name just a few.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
MikeyMan

I cut 2 strips of foam rubber carpet pad and wedged them between the hood skin and braces. Worked great, no more rattles and the hood feels more solid.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
Martyt

Old thread but I just used Frost King Garage Door Bottom Seal from Home Depot--2.25" wide and a 9' long section. I had a around a 1' left over. I installed it under the braces and also in the section of the hood in the rear that runs perpendicular to the main braces. I used a plastic mini pry bar and it was super easy work in there. The Frost King seal is has an angle to it around 1/3 of the way across; I installed the the seal in a convex manner with the convex pressing against the hood side. I think the angle on the seal really helped to press the frame against the hood. Worked great and got rid of 95% of the vibration.

Last edited by Martyt; 10-13-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #12
71gmcC15

I have to get home and take a picture of my 100% stock extra hood brace. Haha. You guys will love it. Note I did not do this. The po did and I never messed with it cuz it works and you don't see it when the hood is closed
04 chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 4l60e.
81 chevy Scottsdale k10 muncie sm465 Np208 10 bolt 8.2 ( Old Green)
71gmcC15 is offline   Reply With Quote