The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Bassetlounge

Vent window roll pin

I ordered a replacement vent window handle from LMC. I cannot get the roller pin into the allotted hole in the handle itself. I have tried needlenose pliers but it seems like the pin is too big. Anyone have any tips for a novice?
I read some people speak of using a "punch" but I am unsure what that tool is for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bassetlounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Vent window roll pin

The roll pin is supposed to be an interference fit so it could be a little tough to get started. I would hold the pin with a pair of pliers and tap it in with a small hammer.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
slomotion
Old Duffer

Re: Vent window roll pin

What I've done in the past, is compress the roll pin with the pliers so that I've closed the slot as much as I can, and start the pin into one side of the handle using a vise with a folded cloth, or piece of wood on the handle side of the vise jaws to keep from scratching the finish, and gently press the pin part-way in. Then place the handle with the pin on the vent window shaft, and using a "C" clamp, slowly press the pin through. Sometimes if you have a pair of channel-locks, you can press the pin in with them, but always, always put something on the new handle side to protect it, or the new one could come out looking worse than the old one.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote