The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
dhughins

Disc brakes are finally done. Now what do I do with my temporary wheels?

I'm done with my front disc install. Went with 5 lugs on the front , but it will be awhile before i get 5 lugs on the rear. I bought some cheap 5 lug ralleys for the front but they aren't as deep as the rears.

my question is what should i do? should i paint all the wheels grey? black? or leave them as is and just wait.
if you suggest paint them can i sand off the rust and paint them while the tires are still on?

you can't really see how deep the rears are from this picture, but there is a big difference.

i need to find matching center caps i have 2 for the fronts that have the bowtie on them and the back are just chrome looking.

thanks for all the help.
[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  DSCF4913.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  82.8 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images

dhughins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
cris well

Re: Disc brakes are finally done. Now what do I do with my temporary wheels?

Post a pic of one of the back ones.
cris well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
NGN

I was in the same situation but I had hub caps. I think if you plan to change the rear in the next few weeks you could wait but, that's a nice looking truck I say take the wheels off the truck scuff them tape them and put fresh paint on them . I like the gray but that's me. Keep the tires on tape them up useing news paper. That's a nice looking truck it needs clean wheels .
Take care
Nick
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
jocko

here's my 2 cents - consider this, if you run a 5 and 6 lug mix, are you ever really gonna be comfortable driving it with only 1 spare? I'd hold off on the wheels, save the pennies to convert the rear end to 5 lug also, then get a matched set of (5) wheels to do run what you like best. I vote steelies! But 5 lug rallies are very nice also.

Bottom line, to save $ in the long RUN (personally, I hate blowing time/money on something I already know I'm gonna change down the road - but painting the wheels wouldnt be too expensive and it's your time - you already mentioned 5 lug rear is down the road, so I can appreciate that), get a solid plan on the rears and go from there. If you just want to throw a 5 and a 6 lug spare in the bed, then by all means, you can work with the what you have.

As for painting - unfortunately, unless you have a bud at the tire shop, dismount and remount can almost cost you the amount of a new tire... Yes, you can paint the wheels on the tires - with VERY careful and thorough masking. One trick is to remove them from the truck - deflate and break the bead on the tire, then mask the wheels from the back side of the lip - you'll get great full coverage that way, then simply air em up. May need to have re-balance though, and will cost a few dollars. Just an option. Still kind of a pain in the tookus.

I'd paint them silver (that's just me). Custom color rallies have never appealed to me. I bought a truck with white rallies. Couldn't stand it. But, it's truck dependent - I think stock silver/gray would look best - but whatever you like is what you should of course go with - it will look good either way. You truck has the hint of a custom ride, so other colors would still look tasteful in my opinion.

As for hubcaps - am sure you can find some driver quality 6 lug caps if you don't have them. While obviously not identical, at greater than 0.5 mph, nobody will notice...
Nice truck!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
biggestjohn

I'd go body color.
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
dhughins

I never carry one spare, maybe I should start. I was also thinking body color but not sure what it is, and doubt I can find that in a rattle can.

I'm not wanting to spend money like you said I'll ride'em like they are or spray paint them myself. It just may be a LONG temporary solution. Don't know when I go 5 lug in the rear?

What's the best easiest way to do that? I know places sell 5 lug axles$$$$, but what are my other options?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
rsavage

Is yours a 69 or 70? I believe that Chevy switched to a slightly wider rear 12 bolt sometime in the mid year of the 1970 production run. You can tell if you have the wider rear end, which will accept the 5 lug axles from a 72 by measuring it between the backer plates.(maybe 71 2WD also went to 5 lug?). Search the site as there has been discussion on the axle fit before and you will find the dimension you will need to have in order to determine if the stock axles will work.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
jocko

71 and up half ton trucks were 5 lug. 4x4 half tons remained 6 lug.

Last edited by jocko; 05-19-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
cris well

dhughins,

I've painted many of them with the tires still on them and on the truck also.

Since you are using trim rings you don't have to worry about getting the paint all the way to the edge of the wheel, so it will be much easier to tape them up.
cris well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Daves70

70 was the year they went to the wider rear axle.If yours is a 70 or has a 70 rearend, you can take the axles out off a 71/72 or a square body 12 bolt and put em in your rear diff.There are also aftermarket axles for the narrow diffs. Pretty simple swap.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
dhughins

It is a 69
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves70 View Post
70 was the year they went to the wider rear axle.If yours is a 70 or has a 70 rearend, you can take the axles out off a 71/72 or a square body 12 bolt and put em in your rear diff.There are also aftermarket axles for the narrow diffs. Pretty simple swap.
that is good gouge - did not know that. But, since it's a 69 in this case, I suppose just grabbing a whole 71/72 axle would work, would give you 5 lug 12 bolt... Probably not much more expensive than asking for axles (if your local yards are like most around here - THEY have to remove any parts for insurance purposes. Drives me crazy, just a way to charge more $). Anyhoo, I digress - since they will likely have a fork lift - that is likely your least expensive option - just swap a whole rear end in from 71 or higher. (up to 87, I assume - is that right Dave?)
Old 05-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Daves70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
that is good gouge - did not know that. But, since it's a 69 in this case, I suppose just grabbing a whole 71/72 axle would work, would give you 5 lug 12 bolt... Probably not much more expensive than asking for axles (if your local yards are like most around here - THEY have to remove any parts for insurance purposes. Drives me crazy, just a way to charge more $). Anyhoo, I digress - since they will likely have a fork lift - that is likely your least expensive option - just swap a whole rear end in from 71 or higher. (up to 87, I assume - is that right Dave?)
The problem of using the square body housing is that they are leaf spring.You can weld on mounts but not worth it in my opinion. Also the axles have to be out of a 12 bolt housing which I think GM stopped using around 1982ish.If you are swaping housings the easiest way is to get a 71 or 72 housing or a 70 and change to 5 bolt axles.Clear as mud? Also the square body 12 bolts are also a good source for gears and posi's.I like the cheap gov-locks for a street truck.
Daves70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
dhaymaker

At least you're making progress and the 5-lug rear will follow, soon!

On the wheels, I've never been a fan of body color ralley wheels. Ralley wheels were meant to be Light Argent! There is a Light Argent and a Dark Argent, the Dark Argent looks almost dark blue, and a lot of folks are not aware of the Dark Argent. I found this out when I went to my painters to pick up a set of wheels I had painted "Argent Silver". I just failed to specify Light Argent! LOL

Good luck on your continuing project!! Need more pictures of the truck!!

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote