The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
medicman775

Softtopper question

Got my softtopper today...for those of you who have one how is the middle bow supported or attached to keep it from falling forward or back? There is one of the straps that holds the windows when rolled up but then they would be needed to hold the window. Thanx
medicman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
medicman775

Re: Softtopper question

Figured it out.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

If it's like my STC, it is supported by the canvas.

Post pictures of your truck with the new top!
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
medicman775

There are straps from the rear bow that wrap around the middle one.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Rochlow

I hated my softtopper.. Fit was piss poor and customer service was non-existent..
Posted via Mobile Device
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
medicman775

The overall fit of mine is good and when I had questions installing it on Friday they were helpful. However...yesterday when I went to the store and rolled up my window I couldn't open the door!!?? WTF?! The plastic piece with velcro on it keeps me from opening the door with the window up. I don't think I installed it wrong and will wait for tomorrow and give them a call.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Rochlow

Mine there was a half dollar size gap on the top and bottom of the window. The rear fit super tight and took a good amount of force to snap it. Called them numerous times without even one returned call. I finally got upset with it and sold it. Then come to find out one of the window seams split and I had to return the buyers money. They never called me back about this problem. Finally sold it as is for a significant loss.

Hope you have better luck with yours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman775 View Post
yesterday when I went to the store and rolled up my window I couldn't open the door!!?? WTF?! The plastic piece with velcro on it keeps me from opening the door with the window up. I don't think I installed it wrong and will wait for tomorrow and give them a call.
I've heard that is a rather common issue and have actually read about that on here numerous times. You can't open or close the door with the windows rolled all the way up. So when you leave or park the truck you always have to leave the window cracked. Not too great if it's raining. Not sure what they will tell you but all that matters is that you are happy with it.

I haven't been much of a fan of their tops unless they start to incorporate other features in the design, like zip out side and rear windows would be a huge plus. When I rolled my plastic windows up on my soft topper on my 82 Scrambler all I accomplished was scatching/marking up the plastic windows and pretty much ruined them. Darn things mark up so easily. Never been a fan of roll up plastic windows since. My other jeep had zip out windows and I quickly found that's the way to go. I can hang them in the garage and they stayed nice and scratch free for years.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
rsavage

I agree that zip out side windows would be better than the roll ups. My top fit fine but there were no directions for the exact placement of the front snap strip on the windshield frame. In fact. the photo shown on the directions was of and for a gen II Blazer. In any event, I called and they emailed me some photos that helped. Placement of that strip is important. I don't like the fact that I have to leave my windows down some, but my Blazer isn't a daily driver so I don't take it places where I am not going to be around. If i get caught in the rain, I am sure that the top is going to leak tons at the front corners because the drip deflectors aren't on but I will be drier than if I had no top on at all. The bottom line for me is that I am happy that Softopper is making a soft top for our gen 1 Blazers even with its few short comings. If they didn't, a custom top would be the only option and I am sure it would cost significantly more. Probably not a good option for a daily driver in a wet clime, but it works for my fair weather rig.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I agree that zip out side windows would be better than the roll ups. My top fit fine but there were no directions for the exact placement of the front snap strip on the windshield frame. In fact. the photo shown on the directions was of and for a gen II Blazer. In any event, I called and they emailed me some photos that helped. Placement of that strip is important. I don't like the fact that I have to leave my windows down some, but my Blazer isn't a daily driver so I don't take it places where I am not going to be around. If i get caught in the rain, I am sure that the top is going to leak tons at the front corners because the drip deflectors aren't on but I will be drier than if I had no top on at all. The bottom line for me is that I am happy that Softopper is making a soft top for our gen 1 Blazers even with its few short comings. If they didn't, a custom top would be the only option and I am sure it would cost significantly more. Probably not a good option for a daily driver in a wet clime, but it works for my fair weather rig.
Wow!!! I could see where the placement of the front snap strip could be a huge problem. Too far back and you have a loose fitting top that flaps in the wind,,,too far forward and it would be so tight it may not fit,,,,or over time pull seams apart.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote