The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
amccomb

66 chevy k10 factory brakes

I have a 66 chevy k10, I recently added a 9in brake booster. Is there anything else I can do to get more braking power? besides go with disc brakes of course. I have found tons of info for the 2wd, but not so much for the 4x4's.
amccomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 66 chevy k10 factory brakes

A larger diameter booster and or a dual diaphram booster will help some, but they are only going to be so good with drums. Which master cylinder are you using? Front disc brakes are going to make the most difference.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
amccomb

http://www.dreamershotrods.com/Power...evyandGMC.aspx

I seperated the front and rear brakes, I am not sure how much of a difference it makes but the vacuum line I ran is coming off the carb, because there isnt a spot for it on the intake. The carb is a quadrajet. Would a self adjusting drum brake setup help? thats about the only other "upgrade" I can find.Thanks for any advice in advance.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
jocko

self adjusting won't affect the power you feel at the pedal. Do your brakes "feel" power assisted now that you have added the booster? Depending where you hooked the vac line on the carb - you may not have a full time (i.e. you may be using a ported) vac signal, that would be my only concern - and may be why you don't feel like you're enjoying "power" brakes with your new booster.

Might try stopping with "power-on" i.e. an elevated rpm - if it "feels" better, then I'd bet you are not hooked to a full time vac signal - and thus the brakes are much less "powered" at low/idle rpm (where it normally is whenever you're stopping - if your foot is on the brake, it's off the gas) (I'm not suggesting to floor it while you're trying to stop - maybe just keep about 2000-2500 rpm on the gas with the right foot - and brake the truck with your left simultaneously - and see if there is more power assist).

Take a look at this: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=170021
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
amccomb

jocko

I think you nailed it thats exactly whats happening. At low rpm or off throttle I am getting or building little to no vacuum. What can I do from a mechanical stand point to fix that? rather than changing driving style. Somthing like a newer carb? Is there a different spot I can get vacuum from? Thanks in advance guys, sorry I got so many questions I am new to the whole scene.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

there is usually a port for power brakes in the center of the back of a quadrajet on the base plate... some pics of your carb and manifold might help for suggestions on where to port the line
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
amccomb

From the research I am finding that there is more than one vacuum line on the back of the qjet carbs I am not sure if that applies to mine. One is vacuum all the time the other is only above idle. I am currently connected to the no vacuum at idle.I will try to put up picks.