The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Todd68Chevy

Who makes a GOOD hood hinge??

Ok when I built my truck 22 years ago it needed the hood hinges replaced so I bought a pair of aftermarket hinges. After using them for 20 years I noticed the hood was not closing correctly and the hinges were coming apart. I was changing the engine and had the hood off so I thought it would be a good time to replace them. Because of this web site I found out that GM still sold the hinges thru the dealer. Getting the part numbers from this great site I ordered 2 new hinges from the GM dealer. Now less than 2 years later I went to a cruise in and lift the hood and the right side hinge comes apart. One of the pivot pins falls apart. So between it coming apart and having to get the hood closed to drive home, the hood paint and cowl paint is chipped, inner fender is dented and scratched. I check the left side and found that it is leaning bad and looks like it is about to come apart at the same pivot. So I now have 2 loose and rusted hood hinges on the truck so that I can open the hood. I need new hood hinges and trying to figure out where to buy from. Any suggestions?? Brand? Supplier? I guess I should have bought cheap junk instead of expense GM junk. Thanks for any suggestions.

If this is not in the correct area feel free to move it.
Attached Images

I currently own: 1940 Chevy Fire truck (project), 1946 Chevy truck (project), 1946 Chevy 1 Ton pick up, 1953 Chevy school bus (storage area), 1968 Chevy C10 (I have drove for 26 years), 1994 Chevy C2500 (daily driver), 2005 GMC crew cab K2500 (parts hauler) and more trucks for parts.
Todd68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
cheyenne shortstep

Re: Who makes a GOOD hood hinge??

Post a want to buy ad in the classified and get a good set of OEM used hinges. They are plentiful and fit properly. I have yet to find ANY aftermarket parts that fit and function properly.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
RaceAGMC

Porterbuilt makes hinges, but they are not a bolt on affair, they do require some cutting and welding, but they look great.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Todd68Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
Post a want to buy ad in the classified and get a good set of OEM used hinges. They are plentiful and fit properly. I have yet to find ANY aftermarket parts that fit and function properly.
My problem with used is telling if they are any good. I have several extras myself so I picked a good looking set and looked at the pivots and they looked good but when I bolted them on they were loose also. I would diffinately like to buy a good set of originals but would be afraid of buying the same junk I already have. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAGMC View Post
Porterbuilt makes hinges, but they are not a bolt on affair, they do require some cutting and welding, but they look great.
Thanks but cutting and welding does not sound like what I am looking for.

Has anybody used the ones from GMCPauls ?

I currently own: 1940 Chevy Fire truck (project), 1946 Chevy truck (project), 1946 Chevy 1 Ton pick up, 1953 Chevy school bus (storage area), 1968 Chevy C10 (I have drove for 26 years), 1994 Chevy C2500 (daily driver), 2005 GMC crew cab K2500 (parts hauler) and more trucks for parts.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Sammy

There is company out there that rebuilds them with oversize rivets correctly. I have not personally used them but one of the board vendors recommended them once before as being a top notch repair. Might consider them over buying worn out or repops. Check the archives on hinges should be there under one of the responses. 20 years on a set isn't bad if they lasted that long is it?

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
leddzepp

Board member Sinister used a set from LMC. Said they were made in Argentina of all places! Also said they fit and work perfectly. I was very suprised to hear this, as most of LMC stuff is junk. There was a thread on here a few days ago where a board member bought NOS GM hood hinges and said they were loose as well...looks like they are one OEM part to stay away from now.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
67c10rustbuket

Eddie makes some nice ones

http://www.eddiemotorsports.com/stor...&p=26932&c=395
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
webfoot

Might not be a bad idea to get an original set and send them off to www.hoodhingerepair.com for rebuilding. plenty of the chevelle guys have used them with good results.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
Might not be a bad idea to get an original set and send them off to www.hoodhingerepair.com for rebuilding. plenty of the chevelle guys have used them with good results.
they were recommended to me at super chevy this past weekend...waiting to get an estimate on several pair of hinges I have...
Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Jack_71C10
Shortbed club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post

omg...$600
2023 Hyundai Tuscon
1986 GMC 3500 Bucket Truck

Sent from my Rotary Phone via 14.4kb/s modem.
Jack_71C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Todd68Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
There is company out there that rebuilds them with oversize rivets correctly. I have not personally used them but one of the board vendors recommended them once before as being a top notch repair. Might consider them over buying worn out or repops. Check the archives on hinges should be there under one of the responses. 20 years on a set isn't bad if they lasted that long is it?
Sounds like a good idea and No 20 years is not bad but I do not remember what brand they were and I am sure some are better than others. I was just trying to figure out which aftermarket ones to go with since the GM ones failed. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Board member Sinister used a set from LMC. Said they were made in Argentina of all places! Also said they fit and work perfectly. I was very suprised to hear this, as most of LMC stuff is junk. There was a thread on here a few days ago where a board member bought NOS GM hood hinges and said they were loose as well...looks like they are one OEM part to stay away from now.
Thanks. I know I will not buy another pair of GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Those would make the rest of the truck look bad. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
Looks like a neat idea. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
they were recommended to me at super chevy this past weekend...waiting to get an estimate on several pair of hinges I have...
Let me know what they cost. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_71C10 View Post
omg...$600
They do look nice but more than I would want to pay.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Fesser

Ever find out the price to rebuild the hinges?
Fesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
67chevemall

General Motors
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
GMCJOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fesser View Post
I got a quote a while back. I forgot what they priced it out to me for, so I emailed them again asking, plus I need to see if they can repair one because I had the main pivot point bust a rivet. Been using a bolt thru it since then. But I am still thinking about going with Porter's hinges. They look great and I have heard nothing but greatness about them. Wife might kick my butt for spending the money, but I won't have to worry about them wearing out on me. Plus, one off the nuts that was tacked on for the bolt to run thru was busted off. PO must have put the wrong bolt thru. It was a PITA to get a nut back there at tighten it up.

1969 GMC SWB-350 SBC 700R4
2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
GMCJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Todd68Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fesser View Post
I have not checked. I just stuck a pair of used ones on for now and was going to do something this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall View Post
General Motors
I tried them and they lasted 2 years and fell apart. I bought them straight from the GM dealer 2 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCJOE View Post
I got a quote a while back. I forgot what they priced it out to me for, so I emailed them again asking, plus I need to see if they can repair one because I had the main pivot point bust a rivet. Been using a bolt thru it since then. But I am still thinking about going with Porter's hinges. They look great and I have heard nothing but greatness about them. Wife might kick my butt for spending the money, but I won't have to worry about them wearing out on me. Plus, one off the nuts that was tacked on for the bolt to run thru was busted off. PO must have put the wrong bolt thru. It was a PITA to get a nut back there at tighten it up.
Let us know if you find out something.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
GMCJOE

They have good customer support. Just got an email back from the above mentioned people that rebuilds them.

Thank you for the question Joseph,

We can rebuild your hood hinge set for 150.00, plus shipping charges. That gets them back to you in bare metal or in primer with 14 new rivets, lubed with white lithium grease in between all metal to metal movement areas and under the rivets, when pressed into place. We can look at the part that has the bolt in it and repair that or replace it with a core part off our shelf, to make sure your hinges work smooth and easy when you get them back.
We offer a few coating options as well if you are interested. We offer a Zinc Phosphate spray finish, which is featured in our video for 20.00 additional dollars for your hinges and springs. We offer a cast blast spray finish, if you like a lighter grey finish for the same price. We also offer a powder coat for 75.00 additional dollars in any color you like from the Eastwood catalog or from their website color chart at www.eastwood.com.
We accept checks, money orders and credit cards transacted through PayPal only. If sending payment with the hinge set, please add the additional amount you paid in shipping, to the check. I tell everyone to get a quote from their shipping source, prior to sealing the carton, then drop payment inside, tape them up and ship them to us.
Also include a note with what you need done, a return shipping address, a contact phone number and a e-mail address, so we can send you a tracking number or PayPal invoice, if you choose that route of payment when work is completed. Most all work is done and returned within 7-10 working days of received payment.
If you have further questions, please just e-mail me back or just call us. Thank you again and I hope we can rebuild those hinges for you.

Willie Wilson
Wilson Antique Car Parts
1067 Clearview Drive
Forest, VA 24551
434-258-2606

2013 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Longhorn Edition-6.7 PPEI EFI Live CSP5 5” ProFlo Exhaust
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #17
GMCJOE

Emailed Willie back, telling him I would have to wait till I got back to the states from here in Afghanistan. Promptly got a return email thanking me for my service and hopes for a safe return. On top of that offered me a free coating of my choice and free return shipping.

Making my decision making process a little harder on me. Save a little cash to spend on something else for the truck, or go all out and go with Porterbuilt. Guess I will have to way the options and see where it takes me.

I would recommend these guy's already just by customer support.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Who makes a GOOD hood hinge??

I just bought a set of the chrome powder coated hinges from Wille. Great guy and fast shipping less than 2 days to my door for free.

$210.00 no exchange. They are wonderful. The hood shuts just like it did new.
They are wonderful.
U want be sorry with these hinges. I promise.
http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/contactus.html

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #19
GMCJOE

Awesome deal. Glad we have someone to testify to the work. Looks great.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Who makes a GOOD hood hinge??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCJOE View Post
Awesome deal. Glad we have someone to testify to the work. Looks great.

Yes they do and I'm not even a payed advertiser for him!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
GMCJOE

It would save me some money and work for sure. Especially with the deal he is willing to give me. But still, there is something drawing to the PorterBuilt ones. Hard decisions! If they would cut me a deal, I would be having some real hard decisions to think about then....lol

Good thing I have several months to think about this. By then, the money will probably be spent on the little things I will run into and be buying Willie's for sure. Either way I see a win win situation in the future.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
leddzepp

I would go with Porterbuilts, or just rebuild my own.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
GMCJOE

Yeah, I will see when I get to that point. I do tell you one thing I never want to hear again, and that's the big boom sound one makes when the main rivet bust....lol If the truck had been running, I would have thought something had went seriously wrong.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #24
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Who makes a GOOD hood hinge??

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I would go with Porterbuilts, or just rebuild my own.
Those are some very nice hinges for sure. If my truck was a complete show truck and I had the money to throw into it I would have bought theirs but for a driver I just can't justify the money.
For the price of the hinges form Willie I doubt you could rebuild them and get them powder coated any cheaper.
I also called 2 Chevy dealers in my area neither one of them would even try to look up the hinges.
If I remember right Willie told me as long as I owned the truck he would stand behind the hinges. So if one fails it's replaced.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Last edited by Andy4639; 10-16-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #25
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Those are some very nice hinges for sure. If my truck was a complete show truck and I had the money to throw into it I would have bought theirs but for a driver I just can't justify the money.
For the price of the hinges form Willie I doubt you could rebuild them and get them powder coated any cheaper.
I also called 2 Chevy dealers in my area neither one of them would even try to look up the hinges.
If I remember right Willie told me as long as I owned the truck he would stand behind the hinges. So if one fails it's replaced.
I just can't justify paying $150 to have new rivets put in my hinges. I am sure he does good work, but I am certain I can do it myself. As far as powdercoating, I just hit them with a rattle can when they need touched up.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man