The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
BMERDOC

Alternator Brackets

My newest truck had a 400sb installed. Whoever did it cobbled together a bracket setup that is both late model and misaligned. I need the correct brackets to mount the alternator on the dr's side. The cylinder head has the correct holes for the 69-72 brackets. I believe that the waterpump is long and I don't know if those brackets will work. Is there any brackets that will mount an alternator on the dr's side if the truck brackets wont fit with a long water pump? Anyone have a set?
Attached Images

2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: Alternator Brackets

A bump for what I know so far.

Seems I DO have a long water pump. The inlet heater hose at 12 o'clock and the two bosses on the passenger side indicate this. To add dr's side alt brackets I have to swap to a short pump/pulley. Is the balancer pulley the same for short and long? The P/S pulley is double groove. Will I have to swap out the P/S pulley too?
Attached Images

Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

It can be frustrating trying to match up different pulley setups so my suggestion would be to plan on replacing all of the belt driven accessories with the short water pump ones, (including replacing the short water pump).

Once everything matches the belts will be in alignment and buying belts will not be a guessing game.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
BMERDOC

I havent had a lot of time to research it yet but I know that the entire charging system of these trucks is on the left side of the engine compartment...minus the system wire to the battery. I'd like to keep it on that side to reduce labor. Seems a short pump, pulley and matching brackets would be the way to go.

If I used the right side brackets I would eliminate the external voltage regulator circuit all together. While stripping the front harness I would reroute main power and the new INTERNALLY regulated alternator to the B+ side of the starter.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Livrat
Member #1049

I have a complete 69-72 small block short water pump pulley and bracket set available for $100 shipped. The set consists of: fan pulley, 2 crank pulleys, power steering brackets and pulley, upper and lower alternator brackets. all have been media blasted and painted.
If you are interested I can get some pictures tomorrow
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
BMERDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
I have a complete 69-72 small block short water pump pulley and bracket set available for $100 shipped. The set consists of: fan pulley, 2 crank pulleys, power steering brackets and pulley, upper and lower alternator brackets. all have been media blasted and painted.
I'll probably take you up on that. Let me check some other things off the list and I'll get back to you.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4 View Post
It can be frustrating trying to match up different pulley setups so my suggestion would be to plan on replacing all of the belt driven accessories with the short water pump ones, (including replacing the short water pump).

Once everything matches the belts will be in alignment and buying belts will not be a guessing game.

Jim
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
With Livrat's set all you need is a can of Chevy orange hi-temp engine paint and a rebuilt short water pump and you're done.

I had NOTHING but trouble until I went with a matching set of brackets and pulleys from a known unmolested factory set. One of the best moves I ever made.

When I order belts I go to the local NAPA and order stuff for a 1972 Chevy V8, bring them home, and they fit. Perfect. Every time.

When I want to mess with a younger kid at a parts counter I let him look for a 383 in his computer for a while before I tell him its a 350.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote