The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Billet man

Talking 6-speed anyone???

I have a 1972 GMC Sierra Grande that has a 350 with an automatic transmission and I was wondering if anyone has put a 5 or 6 speed manual in a truck like mine? I was also wandering if somebody could tell me if there's anywhere to buy new brake-clutch pedal assemblies cause (like I said) mine is an auto. Any help will be much appreciated!!!!

Hears a few pics of my truck btw!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Billet man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
502ms

Re: 6-speed anyone???

What are your plans for the truck?
Banging gears, having fun? Hauling? Cruising?
Better mpg?
There is the option of installing a newer trans (with modifications) if you just want more highway-friendly drivability, without having to go to a manual transmission.

It is a consideration for me...but i wanted to ensure we know where you are headed...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Billet man

I'm really just wanting better gas mileage and occasionally messing with my brothers '83 5.0 mustang. Haha I'm really not sure what I want too do, ive thought about putting a newer 6 speed auto in it but I am not sure what all electronics I will need too do if I go that route. Anymore info will really be appreciated. Thanks guys!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
black_sheep454

If you go 6 speed manuel get one from a 93-97 f body. The lt1 motors in those cars have the same bell housing pattern as any small block were the newer ls1 cars don't.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
You might get some ideas from this thread...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438224

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
dznucks

I did a T-56 rebuild write up where i installed the mid-shift conversion. Go to the Engine & Drivetrain section and look in the FAQ sticky at the top.

The 6 speed is very nice, good for banging gears but capable of good milage (+20mpg when cruising) with a properly matched motor.

You will need deep pockets before you commit though, as the tranny will be $1000-1500 used. Probly need a rebuild (new seals, bearings, syncros), the mid shift conversion, new x member, shorter drive shaft, possible new rear gears to make 6th usable.

As for the clutch, i am not sure if the auto pedal assembly is similar to the manual trans pedal assembly, ie. you may be able to add the pedal. You will need a hydraulic clutch setup if you go with the 6 speed. I can help with that, as i need to do a write up on how i did mine. I think TR56 or LockDoc posted some pics of their hydraulic clutch, but i dont think it was with a 6 speed.

The 5 speed conversion would be half the price.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Yes, all you need to do is add the clutch pedal to your existing setup. That part is pretty easy to do. The 2 wheel drive Jeep AX15 5 speed is another option. It should be pretty easy to find one in the southern states...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475370

LockDoc

-
Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Ackattack

6th gear in most T56s is .5, for a heavy brick shaped truck I think 4.10s would be the best choice. I think 3.73s might even be a little to high, but probably doable.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Stanley0910

If you check out brother truck parts or keisler engineering, keisler offers an in house designed transmission. It's called their Ralley Sport transmission, it's a 5 speed and they have a 500 and 600 hp version with two different ratio choices. They sell a complete swap kit for an auto to manual conversion. This would run you about $3k, but it would be a solid trans with a warranty. I'm putting a nv3500 in my truck to get me by until I have more money, it bolts in similar to a 700r4, they just don't handle much power. Good luck on your swap.

Shane
Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
Billet man

I really appreciate all the help and info! Thanks y'all!!! The last question I have is does anyone know where I can buy a set of clutch brake pedals? Thanks again everyone!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Stanley0910

I'm using a pedal, lines, and cylinder from a 90's Chevy 1500.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Billet man

Thats cool, Was it easy too put in your truck? How well does it work?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billet man View Post
I'm really just wanting better gas mileage and occasionally messing with my brothers '83 5.0 mustang. Haha I'm really not sure what I want too do, ive thought about putting a newer 6 speed auto in it but I am not sure what all electronics I will need too do if I go that route. Anymore info will really be appreciated. Thanks guys!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
If you are looking to save money via mileage most anything new is going to cost years of driving to recoup. Figure out where you are currently with tire size and ratio. If you can pull a higher cruise ratio think about a 700R4. Properly built and used with moderation they can work well.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley0910 View Post
If you check out brother truck parts or keisler engineering, keisler offers an in house designed transmission. It's called their Ralley Sport transmission, it's a 5 speed and they have a 500 and 600 hp version with two different ratio choices. They sell a complete swap kit for an auto to manual conversion. This would run you about $3k, but it would be a solid trans with a warranty. I'm putting a nv3500 in my truck to get me by until I have more money, it bolts in similar to a 700r4, they just don't handle much power. Good luck on your swap.

Shane
I normally won't negatively comment on vendors - but be forewarned. I tried my hardest to buy an RS400 from these guys (keisler) and it was like pulling teeth to get them reply to a simple email. Communication was dang near non-existent - and when someone is getting ready to sink about $3500 into your products, you'd think it might be worth answering a few simple questions. Tried twice, but I finally gave up and installed a WC T5 with S10 tailshaft housing. It's pretty darn nice. Not recommended if you are wanting to no-kidding race your brother, but if you just wand something to row, then it's probably the least expensive 5-speed upgrade you can do. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069 Yours will be a bit more involved - going from Auto to Manual isn't exactly fun or easy - getting the pedals, z-bars, linkage, bell hsg, etc - nothing to re-use from the automatic setup. I'd count on a good bit more than $3000 before it's all said and done (but yes, if you get an RS trans (just the trans) - it is below $3K, depending on the torque rating.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Billet man

Talking Re: 6-speed anyone???

I'm not gonna race my brother, I just like bustin his chops cause he drives a Ford not to mention his car has over 400 HP so my truck won't run with it!!!!! it's just fun too give him a hard time. I am really liking the t-5 idea, my dad put a t-5 world class in his '67 mustang and it was awesome so he should be able too help me with swapping from an auto too manual. I really appreciate all the help guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billet man View Post
The last question I have is does anyone know where I can buy a set of clutch brake pedals?
Like I said in my previous post all you need is a clutch pedal and arm. It slides into the existing hole in the pedal bracket. Check the parts board.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
RustyBucket

The previous owner of my 2wd. Blazer replaced the 350eng./350auto with the TKO 500 kit from Keisler and a mild 454. I didn't deal with Keisler so I don't have any input about 'em... OH, I have called a couple of times with questions about lubricant and a leaking plug and they couldn't have been more helpful. I'm REALLY REALLY enjoying their product. Nice positive up/down shift and it's apparently very strong. I don't full throttle shift it but I do STAND on the throttle every chance I get -- I'm a 16yr. old 60yr. old. Nice clutch feel with the hydraulic throw out bearing. With 3.08's it runs around 80 at 2000rpm in o/d. The stick shift fun factor was a big selling point for me when I bought this thing.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I think I have an extra pedal setup if you want to pay shipping. You might just check the local yards. You should be able to find one pretty easy. I believe all the 67-72 trucks are the same, maybe even other years. I did this in my 70. I can get you pictures of what you need, just let me know.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
dznucks

Quote:
6th gear in most T56s is .5, for a heavy brick shaped truck I think 4.10s would be the best choice. I think 3.73s might even be a little to high, but probably doable.
I agree with this. I am going to put 4.10's in when i can find the time to install the new rear end. I am running 3.42s now with the .5 6th gear T-56. Its a dog off the line and 6th is unusable until 90+ mph. However, cruising at 45-55 in 5th is only 1400 rpm.

There are two different LT T-56's, one has a .5 6th and the other is .7 or .6ish.

If i had it do over again, with less budget, I would go with a strong 5 speed.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

When I look up keisler engineering, I find bankruptcy stuff...
Did they go out of business or something?
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Like I said in my previous post all you need is a clutch pedal and arm. It slides into the existing hole in the pedal bracket. Check the parts board.

LockDoc
There are some on here on the classifieds, search clutch pedal assembly.

I would post a link but that may be in violation since one is mine and your name is Pink..

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote