The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
dirtybirdindian

Should I buy this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-68127.html

Looking for one for normal around the house use along with the '53 chevy project I'm starting. Would I be happy with this? Any experience with this brand?
dirtybirdindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
OKGMC4

Re: Should I buy this?

Depends on what you are doing with it. If you are going to be doing a ton of metal sanding or grinding (fab work) it won't be enough. I learned the hard way. I wore a Craftsman oilless 33 gallon out in a year, then tried a 30 gallon 2 hp Speedaire w/cast iron pump. Better, but using die grinders and sanders it never ever EVER stopped running and couldn't keep up. Then I picked up a 60 gallon Kobalt compressor on craigslist barely used and dropped a 220v outlet in the garage. I now finally have more than enough air for this stuff. If all you plan to do is run an impact or inflate tires a small compressor may be enough, but I'm still not sure about HF compressors.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Rude Dude

Look at CFM rating, board sander, da sanders and air tools take a lot of contiuous air so if you want tool's use go big. That one is good for bike tires and small home projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybirdindian View Post
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-68127.html

Looking for one for normal around the house use along with the '53 chevy project I'm starting. Would I be happy with this? Any experience with this brand?
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
mr48chev

For that price I think you can find a bigger unit used on Craigslist or in the local little nickle paper.

Check out the local ag related stores like Tractor supply or Big R or what ever is in that area as quite often they have air compressors that put out a good supply of air for reasonable money.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

To me it looks like a decent compressor, it's just not big enough as most have already mentioned. The price is also too high for a compressor that size. You will want at least a 60 gallon tank to do any sanding or grinding. Also, this is my opinion, do not get an oilless type. They usually have good air delivery but are very noisey and don't last.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
OrrieG

I agree with the comments, I got tired of waiting for the compressor to catch up to my air tools too. Sand for a minute wait two... I got a Kobalt at Lowes (relabeled Cambel Hausfield) 60 gallon, 3.7 hp, 11.5 scfm @ 90 psi, 13.4 at 40. You will also need a higher volume to keep up with a HVLP paint gun.

My experience with HF Chicago Electric tools is you get what you pay for. I have some for the occasional use. For harder working stuff I get better quality or expect to replace them often.

Lowes has the same machine for $499 but watch for a fathers day sale that should drop the price to about $450, thats when I got mine.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Denee007

I'm not trying to convince you to buy a compressor like mine, but I have had this compressor for 9 years! It's quiet and fast, but when it wears out( probably soon since I'm bragging on it!), I will beg my husband for, well, whatever's next! You may check on Garagejournal.com, those guys talk alot about everything shop related; ) oh, I'd say don't scrimp on your compressor, it runs your garage; )

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Denee007; 05-22-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Info
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

I had a 25 gallon oilless NOISY mofo for a long time and it worked fine for my nailguns, tires, etc. But it died and I didn't want another oilless, plus I wanted to run a large used sandblast cabinet I bought from Craigslist and I also wanted to HVLP paint. After daily searches for a couple months I found THIS on Craigslist for $285. I too need to get 220v into my shop but this oughta be able to handle what I'm trying to do for pretty cheap compared to new....I HOPE! (Apologies for the lousy iPhone pix)

Later, I picked THIS up brand new at an outlet place for $125 cause I still need to run my nail guns at the apartments my girlfriend owns.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
72ArizonaBurb

I bought my compressor over 20 years ago. This is one area you don't want to skimp on. If you plan on restoring an entire vehicle I recommend a 2 stage 5hp 220 volt with 19+ cfm. I can run 2 DA sanders and the compressor can keep up no problem. There's nothing better than you and a buddy having a DA party sanding all the paint off your vehicle in 1/3 the time of one of cheap compressors. I would watch craigslist and buy a used one. I have run pressure blasters, blast cabinets you name it. Also get the TIP Tools catalog and see how to run your air lines. With a little planning you can greatly reduce the water that makes it your air tools. If you ever plan on painting your own vehicle you will be glad you set up it correctly. Good luck!
72ArizonaBurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
dirtybirdindian

Thanks for all the advice. I think this was listed for $449.99 at the local Tractor Supply Co. Doesn't seem to bad? I'll keep my open for used and watch for the Memorial Day/Fathers Day sales.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/campbel...ressor-3310006
dirtybirdindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
buggy5872

Make sure what ever you get is a two stage compressor. I have a 40 year old Emglo 5hp that I can run a sand blaster til I run out of sand and never have to wait for it to catch up. Like others have said....dont skimp on the compressor. Look for one with a cast iron head also. The ones with the aluminum head only last a couple years. To buy a new one equivilent to mine woulf be 2500 to 3000. There are a lot of decent used ones on craigslist all the time around me.
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote