The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
lousblown55chevy

Aftermarket bumpers

Just trying to decide on aftermarket bumpers vs rechroming oem bumpers.
I found a painted front and painted rear sport here locally for 115.00 and have a quote of 300.00 each for plating . I know aftermarket bumpers are cheaper but how well do they hold up ? I am building a 70 4x4 crew cab 8 ft bed dually and it will have to sit outside in the weather quite a bit due to it's size
lousblown55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Fldawg

Re: Aftermarket bumpers

i've had a front and rear on mine for over 2 year's, had to replace the rear right after i got it, had inperfections in it but brothers made it good, LMC has what they call a triple chrome bumper i would like to see how good they are. If you decide to get aftermarket be sure to paint the backside of the bumper with paint because they will rust most people i've seen used semi gloss or matte black. But if you have a good chromer and don't mind spending the money go with the original. Oh by the way my truck sits outside covered up till i drive it and i live in florida close to the water.
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
lousblown55chevy

Good tip on painting the backside , i did this on my 55 looks much nicer for judging at shows and most people never even notice , its all in the details
lousblown55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Lee H

I've had a set from Brothers, triple chrome, for about 10 years and they still look good, very minor pitting beginning. If I waxed them more they would probably be OK. According the Brothers they are warranted for life against pitting and peeling, just bring them in with the receipt and they will exchange them. I do not know anyone that has exchanged them for pitting or peeling.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
1971_402

Bought mine from Classic Industries Front and Back , when they arrived I checked Both out and looked pretty good so I went on with the build of the truck. Finally came around to putting the bumpers on , the rear went on with no problem but the front wouldn't line up at all . Tried the original one and it fit fine all holes lined up , checked the new bumper with the old one and the new one was twisted . called Classic was told I waited to long and they couldn't do anything . had the original re chromed and installed that one instead , MY FAULT for waiting to long to double check fitment. Next truck re chrome originals ... Hope this helps
1972 Chevy C10 LWB-SWB/Bagged(ALMOST)
1972 Chevy C10 Shortened/SBC(DONE)
1981 Chevy C10 SWB 383/TH350(SOLD)
1971_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
RINC

Original vs Repop ?

Rechrome the originals !

'69 C-20
'04 Jeep TJ
RINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The higher quality ones seem to last well.Be careful on install and follow torque if you use them.The plating will crack around the bolts holes invalidating the warranty.I've never heard of any problem with them other wise.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote