The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
ramrod7373

auto column woes....

Ok here is my problem...my truck was an original 6 banger and 3 on the tree. It now has a 350 mated to a turbo 350. A guy gave me a auto column and I can't get the stock or Lokar linkage to shift the trans. Don't know if this column is any good or not. Ripped it out and got it a shop for a guy to hopefully fix...new lower bearing. My wife is already on my ass about the $$$ I have spent to get this going. Still lots to do, but I want this thing on the road by Aug. Anybody run into auto column's not working right. I might just say the hell with it and get a floor shifter, but I am really tired of running into snags every time I try to mod something. I need some input PLEASE!! What's the way to go. Is there better shift linkage out there?
Attached Images

ramrod7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
drjeffdc

Re: auto column woes....

Looks like the shifting arm ( the part that connects to the tranny ) needs to be a little more vertical.
drjeffdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
drjeffdc

the rods got no place to travel. It's a leverage thing!
Attached Images

drjeffdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
50bomb

I have a similar setup linkage on my 250/th350 from Cpp. the difference I see is that the hex connector set screws you have are on the tranny where my setup they go up on the column. Check out this diagram I have. Maybe that is the problem your having. Also My my problem is that the hex connector go right below the first screw but real tight still. So i am not able to even use the screws on it. Hopefully its stays in place.
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a...geStoryweb.pdf
Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Christiansok

drjeffdc brings up a good point. If that picture of the rod and lever is the actual position it is in when trying to shift the force placed on the rod and the pivot point are in line, aka no leverage. Having the force and the lever closer to perpendicular will give you leverage. How this is accomplished I'm not sure, from the picture drjeffdc posted perhaps where the rod connects to your column is not rotated to the right position.
Christiansok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
ramrod7373

This link is way better than the instructions that came w/ the same type linkage I got from Lokar. If I would have had these instructions from CPP I think I could have got it right the first time. Looks like I will either have to buy another linkage kit or try to fix the existin linkage I have. Thnx
Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
50bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod7373 View Post

This link is way better than the instructions that came w/ the same type linkage I got from Lokar. If I would have had these instructions from CPP I think I could have got it right the first time. Looks like I will either have to buy another linkage kit or try to fix the existin linkage I have. Thnx
Yea exactly the instruction they give in the box really was not that great. That link really helped us put mine together but the top hex connector to column would not go in all the way. I hit it with a mallet,sanded it,greased it and still it would just stay right below the first screw. So its tight in there for me to be kinda confident it wont come loose in gear. There is to room for it to come out i would think because of both ends holding the rod down. Hope its okay and safe.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
ramrod7373

Took my column into a shop that knows what they are doing (old school Chevy guy). Put new GM lower bearing in and took apart and inpsected everything. $120 later and the column is smooth like butter. Just hope I can get the linkage to work....thta's another weekend though.