The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
CEE1NG_RED

...rear brakes (drums) help!!! Brake valve stem is frozen to driver's wheel cylinder

I am trying to change my old wheel cylinders (front/rears) and rear brake shoe since the previous owner used a set that had the long shoe facing the rear/back and cannot be flipped around (well one side, which is the drivers rear, but not the passenger rear). So, I went to Autozone and bought me a new set of rear shoes, and used my old brake drums from my '67 C10.

Now question: I just finished my rear passenger w/ new brake shoes and reused my old drums, but when rotating the tire (passenger rear) on jackstands it moves freely on reverse. However, it requires some good force when rotating forward. What gives? Is it the parking brake that's causing this friction? The star adjuster is screwed all the way in until I have installed all the wheel cylinders and replaced my rear brake shoes. Also, when rotating the driver's side rear wheel forward/front, the passenger rear tire is moving the other direction (reverse). Is that normal???

I am also having a hard time removing the rear driver wheel cylinder. The brake line valve screw from the driver's rear that's connected to the wheel cylinder will not budge!. I don't want to strip the bolt so much or I'll have to get a new set of lines so what are some ways to remove this? I have used PBlaster, vise grips, and monkey wrench, but no avail. So I'm letting the PBblaster soak overnight, but if that does not work....are there any suggestions? Here's a pic of the valve screw I am talking about! I hope the previous owner did not put loctite on it!!!!! The passenger rear was easier to remove so I hope not.
Attached Images

- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
fleetman

Re: ...rear brakes (drums) help!!! Brake valve stem is frozen to driver's wheel cylin

yes let it soak for a few days with penetrant
fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
cdowns

Re: ...rear brakes (drums) help!!! Brake valve stem is frozen to driver's wheel cylin

the long brake shoe is supposed to face the rear sounds like the previous owner had it right
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
leddzepp

I would buy a set of flare nut wrenches...or else you will end up stripping all the nuts on your brake lines.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
68SHORTBOX

You can remove the wheel cylinder without removing the bleeder screw. Just disconect the brake line and then remove the two bolts that hold the cylinder in place. If the brake line is the problem you may just have to get a new section of line. From the looks of the brake line nut the proper wrench was not used in the past attempts break it loose. If you are trying vice-grips make sure to clamp them on the flats of the nut so you don't destroy the whole nut. A shot of PB down the top of the bleeder will help get it freeded up also.

Last edited by 68SHORTBOX; 05-27-2012 at 01:52 PM.
68SHORTBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
CEE1NG_RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
the long brake shoe is supposed to face the rear sounds like the previous owner had it right
The previous owner had the short shoes facing the rear instead of the long shoe, so he did not have it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I would buy a set of flare nut wrenches...or else you will end up stripping all the nuts on your brake lines.
I bought me 2 sets (one metric and other standard) from Habor Frieght for $10 per set of 5 flare nut wrenches! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SHORTBOX View Post
You can remove the wheel cylinder without removing the bleeder screw. Just disconect the brake line and then remove the two bolts that hold the cylinder in place. If the brake line is the problem you may just have to get a new section of line. From the looks of the brake line nut the proper wrench was not used in the past attempts break it loose. If you are trying vice-grips make sure to clamp them on the flats of the nut so you don't destroy the whole nut. A shot of PB down the top of the bleeder will help get it freeded up also.
PB finally worked and I was able to take out the valve stem from the wheel cylinder. Cleaned it up w/ a wire brush and sprayed some brake cleaner on the threads followed by the thread sealant (white) not the loctite!!
- 2003 Ford SVT Cobra "Terminator" 281 (Once in a blue moon driver/weekend driver)
CEE1NG_RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
starvinartis

In answer to the wheels turning opposite: completely normal on a non-posi
starvinartis is offline   Reply With Quote