The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: pick the cleanest wheel for my truck
SCHOTT MODSPORT WITH TRIBAR CENTER COVER LOC 9 42.86%
SCHOTT OCTAINE WITH TRIBAR CENTER COVER LOC 3 14.29%
SCHOTT VELOCITY WITH TRIBAR COVER LOC 2 9.52%
SHCOTT OCTAIN OPEN LUG OR EXL 7 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
belowme51

Wheel help by monday please all jump in

Schott Modsport tribar center
Schott Octain tribar cent or open lug
Shoctt Velocity
Schott Octain opne lug

22x8.5 22x12 4" b/s rear 5.75 b/s fr

I have anniversary color 68 c10 swb full custom so far model laying body thanks to PORTERBUILT STREET RODS. WHAT WHEEL WOULD YOU GO WITH ON THIS platform I was not going to let anyone know what wheels I was doing untill I saw the Modsport in person and they are super bulky in a 20" so I feel they wont fit the truck design and will give me a bad a** truck and bad a** wheels but they just dont go together in my book. My hoops are done just need Schott to machine and weld then centers.. 14" SUPERLITE WILWOOD front brakes and 13" SUPERLITE rear wilwoods black and am looking for the cleanest look possible to compiment the truck and its lines(all oem for 68 trim and all) pleaese help due to my now 2nd thoughts on the wheels and this is the one and only time I get thru monday to make a decision. Schott needs to know by Monday so they can finish and fit,weld and polish.
Gentlmam this means the world to me and the wife and the wrong wheel is all it take to ruin thousands of hours and parts please pole by monday as much as possible This thing has to turn heads and be perty tooo and I cant have all this hard work got to crap because of a set of wrong wheels...alll options are open at this point they will start the machine work and welding monday. I really didnt want to let it out yet but im super torn and very $$$$ commited to them . Thank you
belowme51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Wheel help by monday please all jump in

Add the photos so everyone doesn't have to do a google search.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
jtp67-72

U know I'm biased toward Mod 5's.....but these velocity's are REAL nice.................
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12528

My pick.............jim
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
67Slider

Re: wheel help!!!! pweeesseeee

Pics of the options would help.
67Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

here you go,...
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
68shortfleet

The covered lugnuts just dont appeal to me. Personal opinion of course, and my vote in the poll reflects that.
68shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Schott wheels are one of the finest wheels being produced right now.
I personally don't think they fit the classic lines of these trucks.
(just my opinion)

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
jtp67-72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Schott wheels are one of the finest wheels being produced right now.
I personally don't think they fit the classic lines of these trucks.
(just my opinion)
And yet (especially the 1st one in pics) these are almost Identical to the wheels on Hazel and Old Aux other than the gray centers....I too struggled over
wheels more than anything....Kind of like buying granite for your house...better like it....way to expensive to change soon.......jim
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
71swb4x4

I would have to see a photoshop to make my choice. It's tough to picture those wheels on the truck. I think they have the potential to be pretty cool.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp67-72 View Post
And yet (especially the 1st one in pics) these are almost Identical to the wheels on Hazel and Old Aux other than the gray centers....I too struggled over
wheels more than anything....Kind of like buying granite for your house...better like it....way to expensive to change soon.......jim
I disagree.
They might be similar in design,... but MY oprinion they are a totally different wheel.
I love the Heritage-G and Bonneville-G wheels from Billet Specialties.
But I also like TTII's, which everyone has.

I think you should buy the wheel YOU like.
Forget the poll.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 05-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
sir_talk_alot

even though not my personal choices, the first pic i like because of the knock off center cap look.

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
jtp67-72

Quote:
I disagree.

Forget the poll.
I agree with this totally ^^^....but agree to disagree on the original statement...paint grey centers ...with open lugnuts.....At 20' 95% wouldn't know difference...other than Schotts are more money...lol....jim
Old 05-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
belowme51

Quote:
here you go,...
thank you so much for doing that...my phone wont let me download pics nor will my work computer due to the proxy I have to use just to get online. you rock!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
belowme51

Quote:
I disagree.
They might be similar in design,... but MY oprinion they are a totally different wheel.

Forget the poll.
thing with billet specialties they will only build what they offer...so no 22x12's at all on those or would have bought them along time ago. the Schotts are nice but in person the modports are super bulky. The Velocity was my second choice and they are like jewlery inperson no c-10s with them and they are a salt flat style that I like...I just have the suspension set up for 12" wide or more for the rear. The commitment to Schott is there and no backing out now but before they machined the centers they called to double check and that was after seeing the modsports....Ill prob end up with the velocitys and again will be the first 12" wide 22 they have made...the hoops are done they just need to make the centers and finish. so I have to know tommorow to let them know what center to make. The velocitys are so pretty but mainly seen on card not really trucks. everyone loves the modsport from a picture point of view but in person they are different which is where is all came from. If the truck is anniversary gold/white the velocity will lend its self pretty well in my opinion but there are some guys here that can really pick a wheel. I just do not want to be the copy cat ya know. at the end of the day they wheels have to be made in a 22x12 at a min. due to suspension set up. rear diff,axles all set up for 12's with 4" b/s..
Old 05-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
belowme51

someone want to lend me to a single rendering person that really can help me out then...seems everyone is very bias with the wheel I actually dislike due to how bulky..I mean I have a ton n the superlight big brake wilwood kit and would like them to be seen too. the modsport literally covers it all..it a bunch of wheel.....I may have to work something out with Schott if this turns sour but damn that modsprt really had me set and done but then I seen them.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
70cst

Quote:
I disagree.

Forget the poll.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
belowme51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_talk_alot View Post
even though not my personal choices, the first pic i like because of the knock off center cap look.
what are you personal choices if you were building atruck like mine remember must be 12 or wider in the rear. but if it was up to you what would you do? Id post a pic of my rendering but might "ruffle some feathers" based on the they platfom used....honestly the Bonspeed Vinspeeds looked the best and no one has them yet, but alot of similar ones out there. Tough choice and little embarassing being im in the automotive retail biz of for over 15yrs but when it comes down to 6k in wheels on your own truck its a diff ball game.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
belowme51

guys I dont have to do schotts i just found out they can cancell my CC down so im open to get whatever I want, the wife is to tired of hearing about wheels..lol she loves our truck but the wheels is the one thing that she is like just pick a wheel damn it i dont want to hear about it again..lol....the Velocity litereallly look like something you would wear on your wrist like a rolex, I agree alot of them do not match the body lines of the truck but the Velocity is darn close. Id love to do like and inrto or Raceline or what everyone else has but im no building this to have a look a like truck, its my own and for all that have paid for this kind of price understands how frustrating it is. Throw em all at me. I open to opinions at this point.....put it this way it WILL BE IN SEMA and i want that damn gm award I have zero sponsors because this is my family build. but the wheels is impossible to vision without the rendering and the one I did had vinspeeds on it and it looked awesome....but again in person the depth of the spoke to the lip around is perty big, plus the center could def use some help....im not going to pay tons of $$ to coddington or budnik for them to make me a wheel to turn around and sell with there inventory......I dig the 60s styles and 70's styles the seem to look best on these trucks. If billet speciaties would build a 12 wheel id buy it but they will not no matter who you re. I was going to have them cut and re dont but dont feel safe with that, kinda like running spacers. But if anyone had my build what wheel would they put color dont matter that all can be changed but the big lip rear and lil in front is very importand as well as the 12" rear 4"b/s because ive had the rear built for that and dont feel like paying moser another 130 for the change plus the narrowiog price...I could alsways burn out the rosettes and put new tubes if need be but would rather keep it oem if possible. sorry so long winded just reallly a tough one for me,,,its been the only hiccup ive had so far untill i get to do the 4l80 that does not fit well but have some time for Texas speed to finish up and that ls mortor with the billet front runner and vintige a/c along with the hydratech boost matched up to the cpp master...POST EM IF YOU GOT EM PERTY PLEASE. Schott was my choice because Ive never seen a nice wheel that you can tell they take their time on ever milimeter of the wheel so you really know your getting what you paid for.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
belowme51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

see there is the problem I like too many wheels so the wife get pi**ed when I say hey beautiful look at this one. the Schott and Vinspeed are the only two she liked. but hey its a restomod truck i need to keep the them I have the 14 front wilwoods sl6r and 13 rear sl4r brakes and the letter will be color matched on the black calper so I would like them to be see too...wish a builder would chime in and say look this is the wheel for your truck its perfect for it and no one has it....I dont care about people knowing im the only one with them its all about me knowing. just like my accuair set up, I now no body has that same set up and spend alot of hours makeing a "floating brakcet" to make it all look nice, one the hardlines are back from paint its goint to look badd a** everyone leaves em shiney. You know a hardline when you see it
Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #20
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Bonspeed Vinspeeds if it were my truck,...
Posted via Mobile Device

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
mr48chev

Personally I think anything larger than 16/17 inches in diameter on these trucks with the little rubber band tires looks silly as all get out and takes away from the classic look of the truck. One reason you never see a photo of rods or classic trucks with large diameter wheels and low profile tires in my photo albums unless it is a "laugh along with me" photo. That is my personal opinion and beat me up for it if you want but I don't worry about my wheels being out of style three months after I bought them because the wheel maker came out with a larger diameter wheel either.

The style of wheel you picked is a great looking style but I'd go with a smaller diameter.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by belowme51 View Post
Schott Modsport tribar center
Schott Octain tribar cent or open lug
Shoctt Velocity
Schott Octain opne lug

22x8.5 22x12 4" b/s rear 5.75 b/s fr