The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
GMC"ER

Check out this Suburban!

Went to a local show today and saw this good looking suburban! Got to talking to the guy and he paints and he done this one. I know that it is a "faked" patina truck but it looks pretty cool to me! I have been working on a 69 GMC stepper for while now for my Wife and we can not decide on a color that we both can agree on.... imagine that!!! I like the original light blue with white top but she likes the shop truck look. But we are having trouble finding someone that is willing and wanting to paint the truck for some reason? Well the Wife went crazy over this suburbans paint job so I guess we are doing the light blue with white top and with the shop truck look that the Wife likes.... it will be going to paint in two weeks, I will post it when it is finished...great something that we can agree on! So he is going to do the "fake" patina on the stepper.... now I know what everybody is going to say that they don't like the "fake" look but if the Wife likes it that is what it will be. If the Wife is happy the family is happy! Married long enough to figure that one out! What do you all think about this look? Thanks Robert
Attached Images

GMC"ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Check out this Suburban!

Personally I think it really sends the wrong message about our hobby. To a lot of people this would just look like an old heap with new wheels. Going down the freeway it would look pretty much like that to anyone. To spend effort and money to dress a vehicle down just doesn't seem right. But then I don't see the point of new clothes being torn, ground and sandblasted by the manufacturer either. Vintage has its place and a well kept or maintained look is great. Going the other way is a slippery slope that leads to tinted primer and clearcoated grind marks. Whats next airbrushed rust, bullet holes, and fake cracked glass? If you want a shop/gently worn look then do it. But there doesn't need to be a profusion of primer showing through. A nice clean paint job and period lettering can really perk up a truck. Tone the colors down as well like an ivory vs a white. If the lettering is put down thin, but completely, it can look aged right away. Sorry Robert but your truck looks nice and paint work is too expensive to.... well thats enough.
What kind of "shop truck" look are you thinking of? What elements of the example suburban does she like and to what extent? She might be just as happy with a clean vintage look, something straight out of 1969/70.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Why fake patina? Just use cheap paint and let it happen. I sandblasted a bunch of vintage metal lawn furniture pieces one Friday. It rained when I got done and I guess some moisture got to it before the epoxy primer went on,because before I painted them a bit of rust started showing. I treated with Permatex rust treatment,then sprayed them with various brands of paint. Krylon,Rustoleum,Ace...Everything came out nice,but as time went by the paint faded,a bit of surface rust bled through,and some paint came off where I didn't sand it too well causing the primer to show through. I can keep putting rust treatment on every now and then to preserve it,but it's real patina and it came about in only a couple years of sitting out.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-28-2012 at 07:54 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
kray59

Smile Re: Check out this Suburban!

not what i would want in a paint job but to each his own . i like it .
kray59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
bbadfred
bbadfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Personally I think it really sends the wrong message about our hobby. To a lot of people this would just look like an old heap with new wheels. Going down the freeway it would look pretty much like that to anyone. To spend effort and money to dress a vehicle down just doesn't seem right. But then I don't see the point of new clothes being torn, ground and sandblasted by the manufacturer either. Vintage has its place and a well kept or maintained look is great. Going the other way is a slippery slope that leads to tinted primer and clearcoated grind marks. Whats next airbrushed rust, bullet holes, and fake cracked glass? If you want a shop/gently worn look then do it. But there doesn't need to be a profusion of primer showing through. A nice clean paint job and period lettering can really perk up a truck. Tone the colors down as well like an ivory vs a white. If the lettering is put down thin, but completely, it can look aged right away. Sorry Robert but your truck looks nice and paint work is too expensive to.... well thats enough.
What kind of "shop truck" look are you thinking of? What elements of the example suburban does she like and to what extent? She might be just as happy with a clean vintage look, something straight out of 1969/70.
Ok I am going to shoot off my big mouth so go ahead and give me He**. I am 67 years old this year and I am not a "stock" fan except that it gives Hotrodders a nice car to start with when the owner for what ever reason sells it. Maybe its because for me theses trucks aren't even "old". they are just work and driver trucks that we towed our race cars with like I had when I was young, like my 04 silverado (which i plan to lower a lil and some wheels when the 67 is done) is now. I like the diversity of our trucks and people who own then. I do appreciate all the work that the owners put into them!
I like the patina look because it brings back memories of the used trucks that I could afford back then! We put on acessories, wheels, swapped motors, bondoed and painted them in the drive way ect ect, or drove them with rust and "patina" year round here in the rust belt. I do respect everyones views and what they drive and how they like it and I am not bashing the stock guys just because its not what I like!! Whew that was windy!! happy memorial day and remember thos who served and did not get to come home to build there truck like I did!!
bbadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
landsurvey1

I think the suburban looks awesome, I wish I had the ability to paint like that.
2010 Jeep Sport Unlimited
landsurvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
broey
Square

I say, if its what you want to do, then do it. you cant please everyone. fo-tina and patina is in style right now, to the point where there have been articles in a few recent truck magazines about it. As far as sending a wrong message about our "hobby", if someone doesn't get the fact that you were going for the look of a used and abused custom shop truck, then they were not gonna get the painted truck either. I parked next to a few patina'd and fo-tina'd cars and trucks at good guys. It was awesome to me that people were walking right past the people with fancy paint and going to check out the aged trucks and cars. it shows that there is definitely a change going on in the custom car world. People want to see bada** drivers, not $10k paint jobs.

Its sort of the same thing as when you go to a car show and you see a custom that you can tell is from the 90's. and the dude hasn't made an update to it since and still thinks its worth the 80k he paid for it in 1992, when in reality his car is so dated its worth a 3rd of that.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Flint70step

I'm not faking itI get more compliments on my Burbs patina than I do people
asking "when are you going to paint it".I do plan on painting her back to original colors when I can.For now I'm rockin the patina proudly.I say do what you and the wife are happy with and enjoy y'alls truck

72 Custom Deluxe Burb(Arizona truck)Nice interior
Great patina

Project Patina Azul http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=467668
Flint70step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

At one time, I was going for the rat rod low-gloss black finish. Then, I realized that the same work that goes into a proper paint job is the same, regardless of the outcome....if it is done correctly....of the finish. Didn't matter if it was glossy, matte or flat. If a person has an image in their mind about what and how they want their vehicle to look, then an enthusiast who really appreciates the hobby would probably be complimentary. There will always be some who don't and some who will find fault with anything short of an Amelia Island Concours quality resto. It's what makes the automotive hobby what it is....different strokes for different folks. You gotta love it!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
....different strokes for different folks. You gotta love it!
That sums it up =) Build your ride for you.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

All the rust and dings in my truck are all original... If it didn't come that way... then it doesn't look right. Yard a truck out of a field, or the woods, or sun baked in the desert... then you'll have all the real patina you need.

I loathe the faux patina look. I think there is a fine line between the junked out lookin' "rat rods" that are thrown together with a bunch of BS parts off of a bunch of different rigs, and the faux patina look.

No way in hell would I faux patina that '69 GMC stepside. I'd go with a factory color paint scheme. That's a nice truck.

But again... to each his won.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
local13hutch

I think the next fad will be painting your truck with water base house paint and just use a roller and try to keep it off of the windshield the best you can..hell im goin to mix all my old paint together rite-now, see-ya...everybody will be doinit....sand paper is for sissys
72 3/4 ton sub 4x4
61 morris minor pickup, chevy 4.3 v6
03 escalade, 24" momo's wifes
96 2wd 2door tahoe
67 2wd suburban
72 4wd k5 99 vortec 14bolt/d60 205/th400- 72 4wd crewcab 1 ton sb cummins allison -2012 2ss camaro black hard top- 8 yamaha quads- 05 4wd one ton duramax dually, family limo.
local13hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
doubleb's69

I don't care what people think of me so I do whatever makes me happy and you should too. And what makes me happy is usually a $1000 farm truck that was going to be put out to rot away. I get them good and mechanicaly sound and then just drive them. When I get tired of them I sell it and buy a another one.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
sboris

Doing it my way for me, don't Care what anybody else thinks nor care about fads.. By the way, neat little stepper, it ll be cool no matter what.
Posted via Mobile Device
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039

Last edited by sboris; 05-28-2012 at 03:43 PM.
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
GMC"ER

Quote:
Sends the wrong message about our hobby? I don't get that statement? I respect that you don't like this look, got it, but everybody cannot reach the mark of a 8K to 10K paint job I thought that the message of our hobby is to hopefully pass along the spirit of individuality and respect to the younger truck enthusiast with other ideals of a custom truck and hopefully it will save one of these wonderful trucks from the crusher and they will put it back on the road and enjoy it and share it with others. Respectfully Robert

Last edited by GMC"ER; 05-28-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
jocko

yep, to each his own. I actually like BOTH approaches. But don't write off the "non-patina shop truck" as they look pretty good too.

One caution with the fauxtina approach though is that, if done poorly, it can look MUCH worse than a poorly done normal paint job. If it screams fauxtina, it has missed the mark. Thus, I prefer real-tina, but not everyone has that choice if starting with a nice truck - and you ARE starting with a very nice truck, by the way.

My 2 cents only, and I like patina, is to just shop-logo it smartly and let er fade mostly on her own, kinda like Special K mentioned. But again - I truly believe to each his/her own - and especially if the wife is all for it (if we were all so lucky to have a spousal unit that was into trucks!) then by all means, fauxtina away!

I can't wait to see how it turns out - you've got a real nice truck and no matter what you do, I think it'll look great.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
GMC"ER

Hey guys thanks for the responses on the suburban. I understand that not everybody likes this "look" and that is fine with me this is what makes custom trucks so great if you want one all original or slightly modified or just crazy modified with tons of money tied up in it with no hope of ever making your money back then GREAT! It is your truck and you like it your way so do it! I did ask what you all thought about the "shop truck look" and I got a good response on the "look" of the suburban and I respect everybody's opinions but in the end you are paying for it so fix it the way "YOUR" personality is and enjoy your truck if it is a 30K show truck or the 1K rough farm truck! I like them all! Thanks for looking and by the way take a youngster to a car show that is our future for the antique car and truck hobby! Robert
Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

The worry free finish of a patina'd truck can never be matched. Throw a cooler in the bed, lean against the fender, park where ever you want.
The biggest bonus,... Drive the wheels off of it.
Personally I like the blue paint that is already on your stepside.

Looking forward to the new paint job!
Posted via Mobile Device

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
broey
Square

sorry to side track, but is there a build thread for the red truck on your avatar keith? that little picture looks awesome, I want to see bigger!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by broey View Post
sorry to side track, but is there a build thread for the red truck on your avatar keith? that little picture looks awesome, I want to see bigger!
Here's the old thread,...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=338655

Sorry for the hijack.
I love the "old paint" trucks,... because you can't hurt them,...

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
Fatkid1983

I like em both! Glossy finish so your worried about it all the time, yes it looks good and it shows that you have spent a lot of time on it. but your always on your guard no matter where you take the truck. my next build will be a patina. I say as long is it doesn't have a big fart can muffler hanging out the back of it and sounds like a pisssed off bumblebee it's all good
Posted via Mobile Device
NorthWest C10's
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/Norhtwestc10s/
Fatkid1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
Malamute

Not to hijack and forgive my ignorance on this but is there any way to speed up the process of a natural patina? I guess what I'm thinking is.....is there a way to use a spray bottle with amonia or some other solvent on the paint and let it sit out in the sun to bake?

BTW, I agree with the others in going with something other than the faux patina but it's yours and you should do what makes YOU happy.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #23
GruntMoanCough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
..... If it screams fauxtina, it has missed the mark.....
My sentiments, exactly. I've got a '68 that I'd like to faux, just to give it that original, survivor look.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #24
jtp67-72

Quote:
Whats next airbrushed rust, bullet holes, and fake cracked glass?
If u look close I think the burb already has fake rust....That being said roll with what U and the Wife like...With all the work involved in good paint jobs I prefer to have the new look...however I love patina as well....jim
Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #25
local13hutch

Hey guy I love the truck and the finish im just trying to be funny...Who the hell am I ,I have 7 72 trucks and none of them are finished...I had my kids push me from my driveway and back to turn my short bed around and I hung a left and made em push me all the way down the street and back and to date that was the extent of my cruising my classic,,but man it was pretty cool...
72 3/4 ton sub 4x4
61 morris minor pickup, chevy 4.3 v6
03 escalade, 24" momo's wifes
96 2wd 2door tahoe
67 2wd suburban
72 4wd k5 99 vortec 14bolt/d60 205/th400- 72 4wd crewcab 1 ton sb cummins allison -2012 2ss camaro black hard top- 8 yamaha quads- 05 4wd one ton duramax dually, family limo.
local13hutch is offline   Reply With Quote