The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Charlee37

Newbie needs help!

Hey! I'm Charlee and I am new to the forum. I'm looking to gather some general information right now and later on down the road will hopefully be able to post some pictures of my truck and build as well as ask for advice.

I'm looking to purchase a 72 Chevy truck in the next few months. As far as the actual truck goes I am set on that specific one. But I know there are different variations of it and that's what I need help deciding on.

I'm going to use the truck for:
1. It's bad ***. And I've been wanting one for a few years.
2. Hauling quads and dirt bikes. (7x14 utility trailer)
3. Possibly hauling a toy hauler. Nothing overly huge but decent sized.
4. Camping and dunes.

So here are my questions:
1. I want a V8 but what size should I be looking for.
2. Will I need 4 wheel drive? I'm thinking I would get better mileage with 2wd and am not positive the 4wd will be worth if for the few times I need it. I won't be doing any real off-roading with it.
3. A 1/2 ton should be suffient for my needs (this is the C model, correct?)
4. Any other reccomendations on what to look for?

I know I will need to do a lot of work to make the truck do what I need but I want to make sure that I am starting with the correct base model so to speak. I want somethign that I can drive when I want and over the years slowly work on it when I have the money.

Another thing. When looking for a truck do you guys recommend going cheaper on somethign that needs more work or buying one that has had some work done to it and is in pretty good shape. I'm talking like the differences between a $3000 truck and a $7500 one. I won't be doing most of the work myself because I lack the skills and tools but just wanted to know your guys' opinions on it.

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it.
Charlee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
old Chevy guy

Re: Newbie needs help!

Welcome to the forum! Hard to go wrong with any V8 chevy motor but if your worried about milage you probably want to stick to a small block. A 350 is a good bet always. If your gonna tow a car trailer you may want to consider a 3/4 ton. The C model is 2 wheel drive. C10 is half ton and C20 is 3/4 ton. A k model would be 4 wheel drive. If you want to haul a pickup camper then 3/4 may be the way to go also. The price more or less really depends on the truck itself. More isnt always better.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Sounds like a 3/4 ton would best suit your needs (C20), odds are your money will buy more that way too. Good luck.
And welcome aboard!
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

If you can't do any of the work yourself I would suggest buying one with all of the major stuff already done. Body work and painting are really expensive these days and mechanical stuff is getting out of hand too. It is a known fact that you can buy one cheaper than you can build one if you don't have skills or tools... Look on craigslist for trucks you like and Buddy up with a board member in your area that is knowledgeable and have them go with you to look at the trucks you are interested in. There are quite a few members in the Phoenix area and I think most of them would do that if you would buy lunch...

Here is the Arizona regional board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...prune=-1&f=145

Another way to get info and leads on trucks for sale is to go to the local Cruise Nights in the area and talk to the truck owners.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 05-29-2012 at 05:04 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Charlee37

Thanks for all the help guys. I've been wanting one of these trucks for years, I saw one at a dealership back home and fell in love. I know it won't be for a few months till I get one but I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and know exactly what I want and need before I drop the cash on one.
Charlee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlee37 View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I've been wanting one of these trucks for years, I saw one at a dealership back home and fell in love. I know it won't be for a few months till I get one but I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and know exactly what I want and need before I drop the cash on one.

Good luck and come back and ask more questions if you need to...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
ole dollor

charlee37: its usually cheaper to buy one ready to go then build one, if you dont do the work your self there is no telling what it would cost to build what you want....and how soon do you want to start driving it, just some free advise, but you will miss all the fun of the build....
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote