The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
dubds10
Stalker Nate

64 GMC Fire Command Van project

So since I had to sell off all my truck stuff, still have some parts left but not much, and we're moving I figured I best go buy a grumman or a classic van to store all my tools/car stuff and for when we move so I don't have to pay for a uhaul truck anymore than needed.

So I'm picking up this beast of a van this week hopefully since I have to clear out the garage. It's a '64 GMC "Commercial" van. Originally a command van for Vancouver back in the day, then shipped up to 100 Mile to be used by Search & Rescue. Hasn't been in service for years now and needs some work. Not sure on the body specs but it's a 1.5t+/283/4spd. Luckily it's a manual on the floor. It does run and did drive, might need a little work to get it safely down the road now lol Needs some cosmetic work and a new windshield which'll be the hardest part to find or expensive to have made.

I've got some 8-lug 19.5s so I just need to get some low pro 19.5 tires then I'll put those on it and see if it can be lowered a little bit. Haven't decided if I'll paint it Fire engine red like original or black the whole thing out. Keeping the spot lights and big red fire lights on it.

The idea is to use it for storage/moving and business (ice cream/vending truck).

I've never seen one like this before so if anybody has info let me know. I've seen similar ones and the 1ton or small vans but never a 1.5T-3T van.

Nate
Attached Images

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Snowbound

Re: 64 GMC Fire Command Van project

Nate, that is cool as hell man.

I can see it bright red with chrome dually rims! That would make a cool motorhome.

Brian
1965 Chevy Short Box Stepside, 230 - 3 speed, 4:11 gears, original paint rust free survivor. Now sporting a 383 SBC and TKO-600
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

thats really cool....but would be pricey as hell to drive as an ice cream truck.

lower it with those 19.5 wheels, color match them to body color (whatever you choose).
That thing would be SWEET as a locksmith or service vehicle.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
MusicMan70

Love it Nate; put a GMC V6 in there and go SWATn'!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
dubds10
Stalker Nate

The V6 would have to be a 292 or a 302 built torque moster if I did that lol But that'ds be pricey! This thing is a beast and is heavy. Steel body not aluminum from what I can tell.

I wouldn't be driving it around all day, so gas wouldn't be too bad. Idea is to deck it out as an ice cream truck and sell packaged goods (pops, chips, etc) out of it at beach locations or parks on the weekend or during the week on my days off. Good cash business on the side since I'm self-employed and don't work full time.

Down the road after enough is saved up I'd like to make it into an actually food vending truck and selling Mini-donuts haha and other foods late night near club areas. I know a few people who make a killing selling to drunks

I'm a Fire Investigator by trade, so this vehicle would suit my job when I do local fires. Out of town I'd be using the regular work truck which sad to say is a Ford F150 King Ranch. Every bell and whistle you can get for a $60,000 truck but I'd still rather drive an old chevy

Nate

Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Scuba0459

Nate.

Do you have any pictures of the interior and the dash.

Albert
Posted via Mobile Device
Scuba0459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
oem4me

That is cool. lots of potential.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
dubds10
Stalker Nate

I took out the wooden shelving yesterday and grabbed some better pics of it. Need to remove the bench seat still and take out the huge PTO driven winch at the back.

It uses early '50s headlight bezels and instrument cluster vs the '60s gauges.

Nate
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

If it works, leave it....that is so cool. Cmon, Ice cream truck that can pull cars out of ditches!

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Yeah, I might leave it but I'm hoping to lower the van and lighten the load up a bit. Although that winch is rated at around 12,000lbs I think so it'll pull almost anything out of the ditch. It's got feet that extend down to the ground on each side of the winch to support the van and keep it in place while winching which is pretty cool.

I'd like to recoup some costs though, so if I call sell the stuff I wont ever use it'll make my investment less which is what I like. Most of my vehicles end up being free in the end, which is what I try for on every project

This thing is just massive and makes all vehicles look small beside it. It's as big as a semi truck for the most part. Only 4" narrower I think, otherwise height and length are close to the same. If it had a roll up door on the back I'd slam it and make it a car hauler for a '20-40s car. It'd fit perfect in there

Nate
Attached Images

Last edited by dubds10; 06-04-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Chad215

cone of shame
Old 06-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
dubds10
Stalker Nate

lol Yup. He had his manhood taken and his dew claws removed, but he got used to it over the week and used it as a tool to abuse the Chihuahua and people with. He's take a running start and head butt his smaller in size, big brother haha He just got it off yesterday, so he's enjoying his freedom. All 3 of my dogs had the cone this past year.

Nate

Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
kenmel

Nice Truck! I own and run an 81 Grumman Curbmaster Ice Cream truck myself and I know a lot of places you can't just stop and setup without permits from the city and permission from the property owner, alot of owners want a cut for letting you setup. And thats only if they allow trucks to sit instead of driving. I refuse to pay someone for nothing so I just run the neighborhoods. Now to the ice cream freezer, If you want to do it right you need to find either a new or used Nelson cold plate freezer you just plug them into a 110 outlet overnight and they drop to minus 20 and keep it there for 11-14 hrs. They run anywhere from 4,000- 10,000 you may be able to find a used one cheaper. People use deep freezes with a inverter but these units are not made to be used in a vehicle and have a habit of overheating not to mention they cause freezer burn to the Ice Cream, I can take an ice cream from my freezer on a 100degree day and drop it and it will shatter lol. Between my truck, freezer, and product I put about 20,000 dollars in it to get started and then had to earn buisness away from the big corporations that run trucks by underpricing them and running their routes earlier. It is a good way to make money once you are established but it takes a LOT of hard work to make it profitable. If you have any questions about it just let me know. Good Luck with it, just wait till you are in a store and all the kids come running up to you and their parents have no idea why their child is running up to a person they don't know lol. It is heartwarming to give an ice cream to those kids that don't have the money to buy one. I probably give away at least 2 cases every order because I know what it is like to be that kid lol but I figure it builds good Karma...

Last edited by kenmel; 06-04-2012 at 09:05 PM.
kenmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Hey thanks. Yeah, I was looking at cold plate freezers and of course that's going to be our biggest expense. We'll be into the business for about $10gs I'm guessing once we're ready to get it on the road. Re-paint, metal work, interior seats getting recovered, building interior doors to outside storage compartments, lowering, rims/tires, business licence, vehicle insurance and stock. We've got a shop and do everything inhouse, so it's just time and materials for the most part, which is nice.

I wont be doing the driving routes as it's too big of a vehicle, it's mainly going to be a beach, park, event vending business. We don't require permits depending on where you sell and the fact that it's a pre-packaged item business it doesn't require healthy/safety etc inspections or permits. The idea is to get this up and running, then expand and buy more classic vans to build and use for mobile vending.

Nate

Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
72gmcshorty

your neighbours must hate you Nate. You've got a new vehicle every other week. Whatever happened to the bus?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Most have come up so far and said they liked the beast of a van lol Nobody complains about my stuff except people that don't even live near me. Had one guy complaining to my neighbour about my vehicles and my dog cause Buddy wants to kill his dog. But he's never come close to Buddy and he lives 3 blocks away. Also complained about kids putting chalk on the sidewalk, so right there says what kind of Vancouver yuppy he is

The bus is still a project, but work and too many other projects came up first. Bus never needed to be completed like the other projects so it's on the back burner. Most of the parts meeded are just sitting in it right now too, so it's just a matter of finishing it.