The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
AirSpeed

New tranny lines, make or buy?

I need to replace the trans lines in my 72 GMC four wheel drive. I have a 350/350. Someone hacked both lines and used hose to patch it back together. Is it easy enough to make my own (I have a tubing bender but no flare tool, yet) would it be better to just buy pre bent lines? I have a tranny cooler so either way I will have to modify one of the lines to connect it. Who has a good deal on custom lines? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: New tranny lines, make or buy?

I prefer to bend my own lines, especially when custom modifications/changes are needed.

You'll be somewhat limited without a flaring tool, but most auto parts stores carry straight lengths of steel tubing that has tube nuts pre-installed and is double flared at both ends. With any luck, the available lengths will work out close enough to what you need. If the old lines aren't hacked up too bad, they might still be useful as templates for bending the new ones. Otherwise, you'll probably want to make some templates from some stiff wire.

If you buy a flaring tool for this project, be sure to get one that's capable of doing SAE 45 degree double flares. Then you can buy a bulk roll of steel tubing and cut the exact lengths you need. Another alternative is copper-nickel-iron alloy tubing like Ni-Copp. I've been using it on most of my projects lately. It's more expensive than steel but considerably easier to bend and flare and it doesn't rust.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Lots of great info! Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

Make your own! The ones that Classic Tube do not fit & I wish I'd have just bought the tubing & tools & done it myself...
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote