The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
LSPWRD67CHEVY

Suspension help please!

Well i am going to go ahead and start off by saying I'M NEW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! As of right now my truck has 3 inch lowering springs in the front with a 2 1/2 inch drop spindle and a 5 inch drop springs in the rear. Now to back up a little I dropped the truck with just the lowering springs first, with intentions of not using drop spindles several years ago.. now here we are and i've added drop spindles due to camber issues etc..everything that is done isn't concrete by any means. For a budget suspension setup that would cut decent 60 ft times. what would work?

I was thinking about a helper bag in the right rear and some drag shocks?
Now for the front i know i probably need to bring it back up a few inches. but either way do they make drag shocks for lowered trucks? or do you just change the mounting points of the shock?

Any help would be great!

1964 Pontiac Lemans (Treasure lol)

2009 GMC Denali Truck (DD)
LSPWRD67CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Re: Suspension help please!

Read up on super73's post's
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Suspension help please!

My experience with lowering springs is that they are a VERY rigid , short spring. Means they do everything exactly the opposite of what we want in a drag suspension. No stored energy to make the front rise (and not much rise available) and a heavy rear doesn't allow the shock to work. Adjustable shocks are to adjust the rate at which the spring forces and pitch rotation of the chassis works. You can see how a hard, heavy short spring designed to keep the entire weight from bottoming out in VERY short travel isn't going to be your best friend. Not saying you can't make it work in your combination,, just your going to have to work harder at it. Getting the truck low doesn't mean you give up suspension travel. Having LOTS of travel in the direction of pitch rotation, and dampening that travel with a adjustable shock is the standard in a race car suspension from my point of view. Adjustable shocks,, GOOD adjustable shocks , is going to be key. Koni and Strange make some of the best manually adjustable shocks and struts out there in my opinion,,, but lots of folks using AFCO and the Varishock from Alston. Get ready for some serious hits to the budget,,, quality suspension parts don't come cheap.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote