The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Larry1

Tempature question

My tempature gauge in truck says 195-200 degrees,but the Thermocap Radiator Cap says 170 which one do i believe.i am scarred to drive it now as i dont want to wreck engine.
Larry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: Tempature question

I'd be more inclined to go by the temp gauge. The sending unit for it is most likely near the number 1 cylinder in the engine block. That is a much more important temperature reading than one taken at the radiator in the cap.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
GuyO

Cleszkie is right. But they could both be accurate because the temp sending unit on the manifold is a "before" the cooling process reading and the cap is an "after" the cooling process reading. BTW 190 + or - is not a bad steady reading depending on engine load, cooling capicity and torque converter stall speeds or stop/start driving, etc. as long it your needle isn't going immediately higher on its way to boiling over. A strong water pump, proper fan with shroud, correctly installed thermostat, a multiple core radiator and an engine block that has been purged of air pockets are the normal keys to cooling issues. Good luck. G.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
GuyO

A strange thing happened while pulling our travel trailer over the Snoqualmie pass. My temperature gauge actually "settled" down! I have a trans temp gauge I watch closely while pulling the camper. It reads consistently 160-180, but my temp guage from the intake mainfold sending unit always read about 30+ degrees hotter. After pulling the 40 mile pass for the first time on I-90, my engine temp guage and my trans temp guage now read the same! ?? Very strange, any ideas as to why?
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote