The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
kikkegek

Need help setting up my tv cable for TH700R4

ok, something strange is going on with my tv cable setup on my tranny. The total movement of tv cable is only 22mm and the carb wants to pull it 35mm.

Bowtieoverdrives confirmed to me that my carb and bracket are factory and should be fine using a standard cable.

but:

like I said tha carb pulls 35mm and the cable can only be pulled about 22mm.

can somebody tell me what distance the cable should be able to move?

Because of the lesser travel of the tv cable, I either come sort at WOT of its loose at idle.

when I adjust the tv cable with the adjuster I still come 5mm short at max settting. see picture:

that cant be right. I read that the tvcable should have a little tension at idle and should be fully extended at WOT, which in my case can not be achieved:
- I dont reach WOT with the cable
- at idle the cable is loose (see previous picture)
- at max setting I come 5mm short

PLEASE HELP!
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Sabaka454

Re: Need help setting up my tv cable for TH700R4

You can either move or replace the bracket with an adjustable unit or you can use a tv cable extension bracket or get a universal tv cable which will allow you to manually set the length of the cable allowing you to adjust it properly.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...0bracket&dds=1
Sabaka454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
kikkegek

Re: Need help setting up my tv cable for TH700R4

guys!

I solved it.

I had set the cable with the WOT methode and for some reason constantly set the cable too long doing that. Then I started reading at Bowtieoverdrives:

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

there I found info on the starting position of the TV Valve:
Quote:
Question: So what is the correct starting position of the TV valve?

Answer: We've never seen anything specifically published about this critical
relationship but years of working with this system has convinced us that the TV valve needs to be positioned right at the edge of the TV feed orifice when transmission and the linkage is at idle. This is our opinion, but logic and years of experience keep confirming this starting position to be ideal for most vehicles.
This made me come to the conclusion that the first .28" of the travel is for just getting the cable at the startposition, so it touches the TV valve.

I then checked my cable and indeed found that at idle I had about .28" of travel before I felt the second part of the heavier travel. In the end it leeves me with enough travel to reach WOT now. So I am fine setup.

Took it for a drive...et voila!

at very light throttle it shifts up kinda quick at around 1200 rpm from first to second and then third and then waites a while, until at about 35 it goes to fourth gear.

at WOT is will take it up to 2800 rpm before 1-2 shift and then 3000 rpm for the 2-3 and later 3-4 shift.

I notice two things now:
- very heavy throttle movement, compared to the TH400 setup I had before...probably the TV cable needs better routing.

- shift from 3-4 at light throttle takes a little longer compared to the first two. They are fast and clear. The 3-4 is smoother and longer. At WOT there is no difference between any of them, then they are all firm and quick.
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote