The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
JointTech

Crazy gas mileage rambling

So the main question is realistically what is the farthest distance you can travel on one tank of gas?

End goal being to travel as far as possible in a 4x4 67-72 truck/blazer.
Must use a points distributor and carb. no electronics.

So what engine would we start with? 6 cyl? Diesel? SBC?

How much gas can you realistically carry? At 7 pounds per gallon a custom 350gallon tank is 2450 pounds of fuel. So we start with a 3/4 ton truck just to carry it.
Plus the weight of everything else you will be carrying in the truck. Which then affects gas mileage...

6cyl might be nice for mileage but going up a hill with 3000 pounds of gas and gear might not be optimum and give the opposite effect.

OD auto trans? 4speed? 5 speed manual? 2.7x gears? will it leave the line with weight with those gears?

throw ideas and thoughts at me.

yes zombies are coming and i dont want to be anywhere near LA when they do.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
odog

Re: Crazy gas mileage rambling

Well first thing, engine. 327 or 350 get reasonable milage. 2nd would be trans, I go four speed, 5 speed would be ideal, but not sure if we are doing swaps and conversions, or just stock. 3rd is gearing, I think 4:10s are good. Milage is ok, coupled with 4 speed, we can gear down going up hill, and with my 327 and sm420 trans, I can do 75 if needed. 4th, I am partial to 4x4, you never know when we have to leave the pavement to evade zombie infested wrecks. I get close to 10 mpg with my4x4 69 3/4 ton 327 with points and a carb, sm420 with 4:10 gearing
so about 200 miles on a stock tank.
Now I have to ask this, if we go with a custom fuel tank, anything over 110 gallons has to be plackered as hazerdous and we have to have a hazmat license. But if we are running from Zombies it aint gonna matter anyway.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
JointTech

didnt know about the 110 gallon rule. good to know. but yea, ill be running over zombie cops too.

I did mention 4x4 thats a must.

The "farm" is 2500 miles away.
10mpg, well lets say 7 since ill be carrying a full load.

i need a 350 gallon tank minimum.

Next issue then is the size of the tank. A 350 takes up most of the bed and almost definately wouldnt fit inside a blazer.

I need to dig up my algebra. If I had a custom tank that snug fit in the bed covering the whole floor, how many inches high would it have to be to get me 350 gallons?

Then my bed is still completely useable just "shorter".

I suppose Ill want to have a couple cases of oil, a couple rad hoses, a ****load of duct tape. gear oil and grease. a set of plugs and points and wires.
I figure I can rip whatever else I need off something along the way.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
odog

ok by my quick math a 100 gallon tank is 4x2x2 roughly. That comes to 6.25 gallons per sqft. so if you made a tank 18inches tall by 5 foot wide by 8ft long you would get 375 gallons. thats a big tank, but that will get you were you need to go. Add side racks to the bed and weld some rails to the tank when you are building it and you can haul your oils, and the rest of your gear securly. on one of my L shaped tanks in my work truck i welded some 1 inch tube steel to the lower section making a frame to hold 2 five gallon buckets of oil. I am partial to a heavy bumper and grill gaurd, a smashed radiator puts a crimp in the journey.

Also may think about supplies for when you reach your destination, water etc.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
jocko

Has SOMEbody has been watching Doomsday Preppers!? I love that show! So, I'm readin ya!

Well, if you'd like to be slightly less than obvious (i.e. hauling a 5th wheel with your own tanker trailer), you might do the following with some reasonable results:

Factory cab tank - 20 gal
Add factory Aux tanks - 14 gal each = 28 gal
Add a rear tank under bed - 16 gal (est, depends on mfgr)

So, 64 gal...

@ 10 mpg - 640 miles (i.e. L.A. to Provo, UT)
@ 7 mpg - 448 miles (i.e. L.A. to almost Flagstaff, AZ)
@ 5 mpg - 320 miles (i.e. L.A. to Mammoth Lakes, CA)

Attached is a pic of the factory saddle tanks hangin down, somewhat stealthily...
I'd want an o/d trans of course - and it will have better low end usually as most have higher (numerically) 1st geat ratios along with the o/d. Be forewarned, an o/d swap into a 4x4 isn't a cakewalk, requires engine move forward in some cases. Doable though. And probably need a v8 minimum to be able to haul all your extra weight before burndown. Big block too much a guzzler. Fuel inj would help mileage, but realize you don't want electronics.

Also, could consider adding a "tool box" that is actually an additional gas tank. Where ya gonna hide all the filler necks!!??

Well, hopefully that will get you far enough away from the zombie apocalypse. And good on ya, because if there is one, I'm quite certain it will start in L.A.
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
72chevyk10
I built it

get a moonshine still and learn how to make the good high octane hooch keep the still in the bed with a pump to the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Well, hopefully that will get you far enough away from the zombie apocalypse. And good on ya, because if there is one, I'm quite certain it will start in L.A.
I thought that started a little over a week ago in Florida????

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
67c10rustbuket

Like odog, I am concerned that your radiator may be compromised in the running over of zombies, although the structual integrity of their skeletons is already weakened in my understanding of zombies I would suggest some sort of bull bar, cattle guard, or grill guard and that will also add to the weight.
Then there are tires, maybe some armored vehicle tires would be up to the task. Assuming you would also be equipped with an arsenal of ammunition, what do you suggest for zombie slaying? .308 or larger? I like the 50 cal muzzle loader for dismembering but that is a little slow to reload when you are under attack by a herd of zombies.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
MrSchaeferPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
I like the 50 cal muzzle loader for dismembering but that is a little slow to reload when you are under attack by a herd of zombies.
If you build your bumper right your need for ammo would be greatly limited. Though I'd upgrade your wiper system and make sure you have plenty of extra washer fluid. Or just use a nice plow, so the red mist gets diverted away.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
dracula4999

i would suggest swapping in an old 12 vavle cummins and a 5 or 6 speed...probably get 20 mpg with say a 3.55 gear, might do better than that
dracula4999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracula4999 View Post
i would suggest swapping in an old 12 vavle cummins and a 5 or 6 speed...probably get 20 mpg with say a 3.55 gear, might do better than that
This would be great, but I would add a small trailer to collect the body parts so you could recycle the zombies into biodiesel. and maybe carry a .454 casull incase one isnt quite dismembered yet from the impact.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
VWBeamer

I just went from Macon GA to Houston TX on one tank in my TDi wagon...16 gallons, 828 miles.

Which has nothing to do with your subject, except that it does.

Diesel is the only way to go...I would do a Isuzu or 4BT swap.

They are much more fuel efficient ( 20% more, which means 20% less fuel to carry), and are more flexible in the fuel they will burn. No diesel? how about kerosine, used motor oil, gas mixed with motor oil, vegetable oil, jet fuel?

plus the fuel is easier to find in large quantities. The typical broken down car has 20 gallons at most, where as the broken down 18 wheeler can have 400-500 gallons. Not mention all the military stuff is running diesel.

Then we get into the much longer storage life of diesel, especially with the ethenol crap they are putting in gas now days.

I will not even mention that diesel is safer to store and carry..
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBeamer View Post
I just went from Macon GA to Houston TX on one tank in my TDi wagon...16 gallons, 828 miles.

They are much more fuel efficient ( 20% more, which means 20% less fuel to carry), and are more flexible in the fuel they will burn. No diesel? how about kerosine, used motor oil, gas mixed with motor oil, vegetable oil, jet fuel?

plus the fuel is easier to find in large quantities. The typical broken down car has 20 gallons at most, where as the broken down 18 wheeler can have 400-500 gallons. Not mention all the military stuff is running diesel.

Then we get into the much longer storage life of diesel, especially with the ethenol crap they are putting in gas now days.

Everything about this statement is true...but if a Cummins is NOT in your budget, look at the GM 6.2. whatever diesel you go with,make sure it's ALL mechanical...no electronic NOTHING....and FORGET gasoline altogether.
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWBeamer View Post

Yes and no.....The guard and reserve maybe running diesel, but the active guys are running JP8 which you DO NOT want to put into your vehicle if you have been running diesel the entire time.....unless you carry alot of filters....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
JointTech

holy crap this thread took off while i was sleeping.
im actually nt a big doomsday preppers fan. I think they take the biggest kooks and make us all look like tinfoil hatters.
I've actually been preparing since 1998...
so the farm is stocked... Just have to get there. I thought I'd have a plane and pilots license by now but life got in the way.
Preppers does give me some cool ideas though

Great ideas. I dont plan on wasting any ammo on zombies. You know how much bullets cost these days? Gotta just keep trucking so a cow guard will be in the works.
However if we have some fast movers I prefer akimbo style 1911s with hollow points.
no need for large caliber due to the afore mentioned weak skeletal structure of a zombie.

Bullets are mainly to keep all YOU grasshoppers away from my ant hoard. I spent my summer planning. Did you? bang.

I'm not in a rush so the diesel swap is interesting. I can get past flagstaff with my current vehicles. Its just not very zombie proof... An emp strike would take it out and it doesnt carry all my stuff.

For tires i figure I can grab wheels and tires along the way. No need wasting storage space.

yea another thought on 350gallons of gas in a truck. That would be a bomb and a half if the madmax types threw a flare at me.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
shok

The biggest mistake you always see in zombie movies with drivers is the drivers drive way too fast and then wreck. Take it nice and slow and your radiator should be safe with a regular guard.
shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
72chevyk10
I built it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shok View Post
The biggest mistake you always see in zombie movies with drivers is the drivers drive way too fast and then wreck. Take it nice and slow and your radiator should be safe with a regular guard.
but fast enough they cant run after ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #18
odog

I agree with the calm driving, it conserves fuel as well. The diesel idea is something to think about, especially if you have the time. You would have good power and torque, low risk of the 350 gallon tank exploding, fuel is easier to come by on the road. I agree with the thought of no electronics, an emp would be the end of the line. This is an interesting thread, I am glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks of these things, you never know how things are going to turn out, or what is going to happen.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #19
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Maybe this rig will have you thinking "Perpetual Motion"?
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
1972RedNeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Maybe this rig will have you thinking "Perpetual Motion"?
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
dracula4999

you can find old military trucks that have the diesel engine that will run on anything flammable, that may actually be better than my cummins idea. Run on trans fluid, motor oil, kerosene, paint thinner or whatever...might not be a powerhouse, but should be sufficient.
dracula4999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
71STPSDE

I say go diesel engine and make your own bio-diesel. The only problem is the zombies might smell the exhaust and think it's french fries.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
JointTech

mmmmm frys.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I understand the questions, but haven't seen the "Why" for doing this. Is it some form of competition, which is the only thing I can read into seeing how far you can go on a tank of fuel. That brings some other factors into play that would theoretically alter the outcome.

As far as the question goes, it seems that NASCAR and other racers have been trying to answer that as long as they've been racing. The sanctioning organizations have continued to level the playing field, as best they can.

So, what is "fueling" this quest?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
gearheads78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
I understand the questions, but haven't seen the "Why" for doing this. Is it some form of competition, which is the only thing I can read into seeing how far you can go on a tank of fuel. That brings some other factors into play that would theoretically alter the outcome.

As far as the question goes, it seems that NASCAR and other racers have been trying to answer that as long as they've been racing. The sanctioning organizations have continued to level the playing field, as best they can.

So, what is "fueling" this quest?
You got to read between the lines and look around the world today.
gearheads78 is offline   Reply With Quote