The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
deth_1970

headers from unknown source

so I got my headers installed, then the fun began, these headers have been sitting here for awhile, I got in a trade for a pair of 461 Camel humps, I was told they came out of a chevy truck, well I can say no they didnt,

with the collector on the passenger about an to high to clear the cross member and an inch from it,

only thing I can think of is to cut the collector down an inch and a half at a 30 degree angle then weld some pipe to it to clear the cross member,

any other ideas?
02 Gmc sierra
deth_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
donut

Re: headers from unknown source

Hate to state the obvious, get the correct ones.

Buy the time you figure your labor to make what you have work, it'll be cheaper to get the correct ones. If anything, look a few years down the road. What are you going to do if your existing headers get damaged or rot out? Which ones to buy? Then you have to re-work the exhaust again to make them fit.

My personal experience, unknown headers went on my 4x4, exhaust reworked and everything looked good. Hung the plow blade and hit a pothole (some may not know what a "frost heave" is.) one tube crushed. Replaced headers and had to rework the exhaust again..

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
76stepsidechevy

Re: headers from unknown source

My 76 k10 came with some old mr. gasket headers like that, drivers side fit ok, passenger side was a straight shot into the trans crossmember. The old rotted out exhaust had a couple really sharp bends in it to clear the crossmember so I ended up buying a new set of hookers when I redid the exhaust. I dunno if they were made for a 2wd truck or maybe an automatic got a different trans crossmember or what but I kinda doubt these were right for the truck either.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote