The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

T-Brakes, Linelocks and 2steps

So I sort of understand the uses for these, but having never run them myself I get quite confused. None of my builds are "competitive" just fun street cars, but I'd like to see if I can do a little better than just foot-braking.

My truck runs a 4l80e, and right now manual brakes (front disc w/wilwoods, rear drum).

So, a linelock would lock my front discs, allowing me to do burnouts but not really having any effect on my launch (since the power would be pushing past the brakes)

A t-brake would mean I can load the drivetrain, effectively "dumping" the power onto the drivetrain and launching.

A 2 step just adds an artificial rev limiter, allowing me to footbrake easier?

Help me out here, do you need to run these in combination or????
I'm actually the most interested in a 2step, but NEED some guidance on this one.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: T-Brakes, Linelocks and 2steps

Check around because a lot of the 4L80E trans brakes end up converting your trans into a full manual, reverse pattern (similar to the trans brakes or racing valve bodies for the TH400). Yes, the line lock would be used to do your burnout, and I would recommend a soft touch type two step rev limiter if you do end up using a trans brake. For my Super class drag cars, I used an adjustable two step limiter (to adjust my launch RPM) for the trans brake and a separate limiter tied to the line lock switch for my burnout RPM.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Gotcha. I'm not really looking to go with a full manual, as its a "street" vehicle, but was hoping to find something to help me be more consistent, especially as I add hp.

Now that I've looked at the line lock diagrams, I see it doesn't have anything to do with the launch, simply locking the front wheels for burnout. ( I guess I was confused because of talks of "4 wheel line locks", which I still can't figure out)

If I choose to skip the t-brake (might be more than I need), can I just run a 2-step to help me leave off the foot brake, by setting it to not push through the brakes? (Or is there for some reason another option that I've never even seen lol? )
I have no problem building vehicles, but I can't launch one for crap.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
D13

4 wheel line locks help keep turbo cars stationary while spooling up the turbo, without a trans brake. The front tires don't have enough patch to resist the power and prevent sliding out of the lights. This also preloads the drive shaft and rear end, so the release shock loads the tires. The release of the button is more consistent then stepping off the brake pedal. It can be very consistent if you monitor your brake pressure and lock it t the same pressure every time (if you watch Pro Stock video's you'll see a brake pressure gauge - it's there for a reason).
Trans brakes do not load up the drive shaft or rear end. When they release there is a sudden shock throughout the drive train. If your car is set up for this, great, otherwise it can be a part breaker, or traction loss. The advantage is the consistent reaction time form the system.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

What the 2 step will do for you is allow you to launch with your right foot on the floor at a set rpm every time. Makes you more consistent and stops you from staring at the tach & feathering the throttle to achieve the desired launch rpm.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
...Now that I've looked at the line lock diagrams, I see it doesn't have anything to do with the launch, simply locking the front wheels for burnout. ( I guess I was confused because of talks of "4 wheel line locks", which I still can't figure out)

If I choose to skip the t-brake (might be more than I need), can I just run a 2-step to help me leave off the foot brake, by setting it to not push through the brakes? (Or is there for some reason another option that I've never even seen lol? )
I have no problem building vehicles, but I can't launch one for crap.
Yes, typically a line lock set up for launching a car is used in a clutch application (e.g., Pro Stock, etc.). If you foot brake, you can connect the two step rev limiter to a switch on your shifter handle (You'll just have to practice releasing the brake and the switch at the same time). But, check with your racing organization, some do not allow a two-step rev limiter in footbrake classes.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
GMR-PERFORMANCE

THe MSD power gride ( if used) will allow the use of the line lock and a two step, to be released together ( you can wire it old school and do the same thing) .. IF the tires will hold and not push.

On a two step and a t brake you can leave on the cushion as Vin was talking about or let it leave on the convertor ( much harder leave)

Many guys run a very basic set up like this over the t brake just due to cost. Pretty limited to how much rpm you can run at the light though..

I am running the power grid as I run a stick. and it will run the two stages of NOS with timing retard etc.

I have a bunch of new msd two stesp and such .. if you want pm me.. the power grid is much cheaper in the end and you can program it with a lap top to do tons of other stuff as well.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Wow thanks guys, some good replies. I am a bit confused since it seems you guys are running different of combos. (maybe I just need to look at some schematics)

While my trans, ds and axles are upgraded, my 12bolt is otherwise stock, and the percieved weak point, especially with the mickey DR's out back. This makes me hesitate on the t-brake, since it puts the shock on the drivetrain.

I don't need to worry about the Rules, as I don't run in any organization..just a quick street truck.

So if you use the 2 step and line lock, you CAN use it as a launch assist? Is that with a traditional front wheel lock, or using the 4wheel lock that was mentioned?

D13, any more info on the wheel lock stuff? (maybe some tech?) I assume that it would be ok an auto, provided you don't hold it super long and build up heat in the trans.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Arrow Re: T-Brakes, Linelocks and 2steps

A line-lock allows the driver to set the brakes on just one set of tires. Usually, racers put a line-lock on the front tires in order to aid their burnouts. They set the brake, hold a button, and then release the brake pedal. The brakes will release on the back, but hold the front brakes until the button is released. Some people try to simulate a transbrake by having four-wheel line-locks. This allows the driver to hold the brakes with the button on the line, instead of his foot.

A transbrake is a device which allows a car to remain stationary even when the motor is under power. It works by placing the transmission in 1st gear and Reverse at the same time. Since both gears have the same ratio, but it opposite directions, the car cannot move. The transbrake can be released with a button, which releases the Reverse gear. Although they make for powerful launches, transbrakes can be hard on transmissions.

A two-step is an electrical ignition device that will "cut out" cylinders at random, after the engine rpm tries to exceed a certain point. This is basically a rev-limiter. The driver can set the low-side rpm of the two-step to be his launch rpm. With this, the driver can activate the two-step, and press the gas to the floor without over-revving the engine. You can recognize a two-step by the uneven Pop-Pop-Pop of the motor. Release the two-step, and the motor is unleashed, the throttle already wide open.

http://www.jegs.com/c/Line-Lock-Roll...FUSK4AodF2FGqw

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rm=Transbrake+

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rchTerm=2+step

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...%20Brake&dds=1

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...k&kr=line+lock

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...2%20step&dds=1

What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.

Last edited by 1Bad62Pro/Street; 06-07-2012 at 09:34 PM.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote