The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
sbc10guy

shortened frame decrease truck value

I am looking into a truck i found on craigslist, the guy says it a shortbed with a "professionally shortened frame". I don't know what it looks like yet but do you guys think it would decrease the value of the truck, or steer people away if i was to part it out later and try to sell the frame. The truck also has no title, i was mainly thinking of it for parts, and it is parts price. Also the title is for the cab? or the frame?. It has a very nice cab and i would hate to see it unusable. Thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: shortened frame decrease truck value

In my opinion if it already has been modified then it's not original so a shortened frame would not devalue the truck as is being sold. Now on the other hand if the truck was an original undisturbed with all the numbers matching then it difinitely would devalue it by shortening the frame. Hopefully, he didn't also cut the bed...

In you case, since it's being used for parts only it's really you choice. If you sell the frame at a later date the buyer will now it by the welded area and of course you letting him know.

The true value always depends on how bad the buyer wants it.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
mr48chev

How it was shortened and how well the work was done is more important than if it was shortened. The shortened frame wouldn't knock the value down as much as the frame not having the same serial numbers as the cab and having the truck be a "reconstructed" truck.

If you decide to buy it have him write you out a bill of sale for the "bare frame" separate from the rest of the truck. I'd even have him note that the frame was modified. That way if you decide to or need to have the truck inspected you have the paperwork to go along with the frame.

Without a title that truck is just a pile of parts waiting to be sorted out for most of us unless it is so nice it's worth the effort to jump through the flaming hoops to title it.

All that said I don't get too hung up on modificatons vs "value" all of my rigs are modified and the truck in my avatar is obviously modified to a high degree.

If you are anal about "value" or loosing "value" don't build a custom truck because few if any ever recover the expenses they put in building a custom truck and most don't build a custom truck worrying about resale value. We build them for ourselves and if we get tired of them or move onto another project we sell them and move on.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
sbc10guy

Yah i need a few parts off of this truck and was thinking of parting the rest. I just didnt know if it would be impossible to get rid of that frame or cab because of the missing title and shortened frame. I would hate to see a nice cab go to patch panels or an unusable frame.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
dragonwrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc10guy View Post
Yah i need a few parts off of this truck and was thinking of parting the rest. I just didnt know if it would be impossible to get rid of that frame or cab because of the missing title and shortened frame. I would hate to see a nice cab go to patch panels or an unusable frame.
not all states require a title here in ga all you need is a bill of sale if older the 1986.it can be registered etc.also you could do a bonded title.ck with your state laws on how to do the bonded title before you start to disassemble the truck as you might have to get it inspected
dragonwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
jocko

if it's just for parts, resale of the actual frame itself must be all you're concerned about - so, having said that, I'd say "no" - the shortened frame will not be worth what an original shortbed frame will be worth. But the difference might be minimal - just a frame anyway. If done correctly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Couple things to look for -
- was it a straight cut or a staggered cut that is slid together? The latter is a bit stronger. If straight cut, fish plates to reinforce the weld are a must.

If straight cut, i.e. just chopped top to bottom, and no fish plates were used, you'll probably never be able to sell the frame as is.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I know I would not buy a shortened frame,if that helps.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
litew8

Question: Why would someone need, or want, to shorten a swb frame?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
gonnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
They shortened a lwb frame to a swb. If done properly it's not an issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Generally speaking, it's done because someone wants to swap a swb fleet/step side bed onto a lwb truck - i.e. make a lwb truck a swb truck - either because they like them or they are seeking a boost in resale because swb's usually bring more money. Very common thing done on 60-66's especially after the Trucks! episode that showed everyone how to do it. Unfortunately, it means that if you want to buy a "true" original shortbed, ya gotta look at the VIN to know for sure what you're getting. If you don't care about originality - then it's no harm/no foul, someone may just do it because they prefer a swb truck. Personally, I'm fine with that - I'm not ok with it being chopped up just to make a few extra $ on resale. If someone wants to do that to their truck, it's a great mod. But to potentially bone someone by advertising it as a true swb truck, not so cool.

Anyway, that is not relevant here - seller is up front and has told the potential buyer it's shortened, and the buyer is looking at it as a parts truck.

However, someone looking for a swb frame, is probably one of those guys that bought a conversion and didn't realize it until he got home.... I wouldn't buy a mod'ed frame either - but that's just me.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

The purpose of my post is to show you are reducing who will buy it. Something as important as effecting the value. Some of us do feel it decreases the value and certainly not make it worth more than an unaltered longbed. If I want a shortbed I buy a shortbed. If I want a longbed I buy a longbed. I base price on condition and features.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
cdowns

i've seen many more hacked and wacked attempts that are a good fit in a dumpster as to ones that actually end up as servicable finished trucks with a long lifespan
i think it is mostly the mob mentality of monkey see monkey do
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
dbstepside

i agree with some others that a true swb frame would be of more value to someone looking for a swb frame. but if the cut frame is done right and priced right people will buy it. i have cut frames for my trucks before these years, squarebody's and put swb rear sections under 88-98 trucks. whenever these trucks were sold i told the buyers that the frames had been modified. never been a big deal. all of my trucks were customed though and i wasn't ever going for a stock appearring truck. if anything if you don't feel comfortable selling the frame you can usually part one out and sell the rest for scrap.
dbstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
pat 70/71

I'm sure it could decrease the value in our trucks. If you want a short bed and can't find an affordable example (people tend to think a rusted out shorty is worth bank) Buy a long bed and get busy. When I was looking for my truck in 2001, shortys here in Cali were in the$4500 range and most were junk. The long bed I bought was $1500 and was perfect for what I wanted to do. I even drove it home! So for me,I think a properly shortened frame is ok to own. It's just about what floats your boat. Cheers, Pat
Posted via Mobile Device
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
Lee H

I would not buy a shortened frame. If I was going to keep the truck for a very long time and was not concerned with resale value I would shorten a long bed frame to make a SWB.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
KrazyRay

I had 2 4x4 frames that were sandblasted and painted with por 15. One was a true shortbed and sold fast for $1000. The other was shortened nicely using the glock method here on this site. It took a long time to sell for $600.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Hubscrub
Cruzin

the no title would hurt me for parts or not the cab without a title would worthless to me. I used a orginal swb frame out of the junkyard to shorten my truck and used my good cab etc.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #18
CC69Rat

Title is not a big deal .. At least not in the South East. It's pretty common back in the hills of TN to find old farm trucks .. literally diamonds just tucked away for years. you just have to know where to look.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Seems that we put a higher value on SWB trucks. That plus the fact that LWB trucks were built at a rate of almost 5 to 1, in comparison to SWB. My 2-wd '69, is one of 54,211 SWB. The production number for 2wd LWB is 268,233. So, there are people who learned how to make a swb using a lwb chassis. Only the letter and last digits of the VIN are on the chassis, but the correct VIN tag will identify a lwb vehicle.

This info makes me think that parting my swb truck is the better option, compared to selling it as a basketcase.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
sbc10guy

Well i talked to the guy again and it seems to be pretty uncomplete even though he said in the beginning it was very complete. The parts i wanted are not included so i'l see i guess. Il probably go look at it saturday anyway just to see whats really there.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
OldCreek

I'm guessing a lwb cut to a swb would be worth less than an original swb.

But a lwb cut to a swb would be worth more than a lwb to the right buyer.
1970 K3500 1ton CrewCab 8.1L/Allison1000/NP205 Dana 60/14B!!!! - Sold
1984 K10 SWB 7.4L/4L80e/NP208 Corp 10/12 bolt Sold
1988 V30 CCLB 7.4L/TH400/NP205/Dana 60/Dana 70/3.73!!! (Sold)
2003 K2500HD 8.1/Allison1000/NP263
OldCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
GOPAPA

If you want a original ,,then buy an original and not buy a clone and thats what a cut down longbed to short bed is.. I have seen cut downs before and like em just as much as a original for looks because until you are told or you look there is no difference on the out side..

Short beds are rarer and should cost more ,,a cut down one is still gonna bring more than a long bed because ,,it is a shorbox ..it's now a rarer truck ?

but,,, when I looked on this site in "search"about which people on here prefer ,long or short ,,as best as I could count it was almost even with long ahead by two .but that had to do with long was cheaper and long was more plentiful ,,some said they went looking for a shorty but it was over their price range ..

I bought a brand new 1965 short box chevy short box and my fellow workers said to me ,,"why didnt you buy a truck that you could use and haul somthing" that was the main mind set back then and thats why short boxes are rarer..wish I had that one back..
Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
Ackattack

I cut my 69 down from a lwb to a swb (frame and bed). I also converted it from 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton. So the truck is not original at all, but I wanted a shortbed I could play around in and half fun with.

My 68 is an original shortbed and I paid a fair amount for a roller that basically consisted of a bed, frame, and suspension.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote